The Twilight Zone

Started by Finn, July 04, 2005, 06:59:06 PM

Finn

My dad use to watch this show all the time when he was a kid. I noticed they were having a whole Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi during July 4th. I started watching some of the episodes and I could see why him and everyone else loved it. Unlike every other show on tv, it's not the same thing over and over again. Every episode is original, different from the last one and just plain creative. Loved the black and white too for the time. It totally added to the show's atmosphere. You can still see re-runs on Sci-Fi.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

They actually used to have July 4th Marathons on broadcast television too, and I'd watch them every year.

This show is brilliant. So many classics. It used to scare me to death when I was younger. There's one episode based around that Room For One More urban legend that gave me nightmares for years.

There are a handful of episodes that are pop culture masterpieces - particularly 'Eye Of The Beholder.'

One of these days I'm going to pick up the DVDs, which I believe are now being issued in full season box sets...right now, I'm wishing I had Sci Fi because it's been too long since I've seen them.

GoneSavage

People in my screenwriting course were upset at the constraints of being asked to write a 30 piece.  Then our professor screened a few episodes of Twilight Zone and showed us that great stories can be told in that timespan.  Of course, then we got a lot of shitty Twilight Zone'y scripts to have to read and critique.  Moral of this post is Twilight Zone = good.

MacGuffin

My favorite TV show ever (sorry Alfred Hitchcock Presents). Modern sci-fi and horror owes A LOT to Rod Serling and his writers for this show; hell, even something like Truman Show does too. The shows were not just about 'twist endings', but social commentaries (something Serling would go on to apply to Planet Of The Apes).

Quote from: GhostboyThey actually used to have July 4th Marathons on broadcast television too, and I'd watch them every year.

Thanksgiving too.

Quote from: GhostboyThere are a handful of episodes that are pop culture masterpieces - particularly 'Eye Of The Beholder.'

If not, To Serve Man, Talking Tina, It's A Good Life, Time Enough At Last... and so on.

Quote from: GhostboyOne of these days I'm going to pick up the DVDs, which I believe are now being issued in full season box sets...

Definitely must own; plus Season 1 comes with:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I watched To Serve Man today, very good.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Bethie

Quote from: Ghostboy
There's one episode based around that Room For One More urban legend that gave me nightmares for years.

Room for one more, honey. That one creeped me out too.

They actually used to have July 4th Marathons on broadcast television too, and I'd watch them every year.
QuoteThanksgiving too.

And New Years!

I watched them all day today. I have so many favourites. I don't know the names of them though. One of the first episodes that I remembering seeing still remains a fav...Robert Redford..old woman. yeah. Don't want to explain it and give it away.

The writings of Charlie Kaufman remind me of The Twilight Zone.
who likes movies anyway

Ravi

PBS' American Masters once featured Rod Serling.  I only caught the end of it, but it looked like a great episode.

Bethie

I was glued to the television the past few days. Anyone else?

I caught a few I hadn't seen before. A new fav is "What You Need"

other favourites, A World of His Own, A Stop at Willoughby, Mirror Image, The Last Flight, and what's the one called about the old people playing Kick the Can*? I LOVE that one. I'm pretty sure it was the first episode I ever saw. I saw it when I was very young, probably about 6, and it stayed with me. *It's called Kick the Can, who wouldve thought

oh my, I keep editing this. I'm reading about the episodes on sci fi's website. Like everytime I read about a episode, I realize I love that one too. Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?, A Most Unusual Camera, The Midnight Sun, Five Characters in Search of an Exit, Little Girl Lost.

One of my parents friends came over today and was talking about Rod Serling having a cottage up at senaca lake and having a boat called 'the twilight' and he knows the guy that bought the boat. I called bullshit, only b/c the guy telling us this is so old. Serling did grow up in Binghamton though, like 40 minutes from me. I recognize all the upstate, NY towns that are mentioned in The Twilight Zone.

who likes movies anyway

grand theft sparrow

He taught at Ithaca College, where I went for a couple of years.  They have a whole little shrine devoted to him in the Communications building with some old scripts, pictures and Emmys on display.  Pretty cool.  And the bus depot in the "Mirror Image" episode looks a hell of a lot like the bus depot in Ithaca.  Appropriate that he lived upstate because it's such a weird place (no offense, Bethie).

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bethie on July 05, 2006, 03:34:08 AM
I was glued to the television the past few days. Anyone else?

Of course.

Quote from: Bethie on July 05, 2006, 03:34:08 AMA Stop at Willoughby

That's Serling's favorite episode.

Quote from: Bethie on July 05, 2006, 03:34:08 AMwhat's the one called about the old people playing Kick the Can*? I LOVE that one. I'm pretty sure it was the first episode I ever saw. I saw it when I was very young, probably about 6, and it stayed with me. *It's called Kick the Can, who wouldve thought

That episode was remade by Spielberg for the Twlight Zone movie.

Something else I realized: Remembering that The Villiage was a lot like A Hundred Yards Over The Rim, Lady In The Water feels like The Bewitchin' Pool.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Leonardo DiCaprio eyes the 'Zone'
Warners, Appian Way in early stages of 'Twilight' feature
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Could the eerie music of "The Twilight Zone" soon be playing again at the movies?

Warner Bros. and Leonardo DiCaprio's production company Appian Way are in the early stages of seeking material for a feature take on one or more episodes from the classic TV series.

The studio and production company are quietly putting out word to creators that they are looking for pitches and script ideas based on the show for feature development.

The companies are not seeking to remake an episodic movie, as the only big-screen version of the show did 25 years ago, but rather hope to build one continuing story line based on one or more episodes.

Warners owns rights to the Rod Serling-penned episodes, which comprise the bulk of its 1959-64 run. The Serling shows include famous episodes such as "To Serve Man," about giant aliens who land on Earth to serve humans as food, and "Eye of the Beholder," about an inverted society where the attractive are considered ugly. About 155 episodes of the original series exist.

A feature adaptation could be a passion project of sorts for DiCaprio, who in interviews has cited "Twilight Zone" as his favorite show.

Thanks to syndication -- the show runs on Sci Fi Channel -- and many pop-culture homages, "Twilight Zone" continues to have a devoted, if somewhat older-skewing, fan base nearly five decades after it left the airwaves.

In 1983, Warners released a four-segment film based on the series. Each segment was helmed by a different director -- Joe Dante, John Landis, George Miller and Steven Spielberg -- with three of the segments remakes of classic episodes.

The movie drew modest boxoffice and was known mainly for a supposed curse after Vic Morrow and two child actors died during production.

The news of a possible Twilight Zone movie comes as "The X-Files," another film adaptation of a paranormal-themed television series, opens this weekend.

There have been other attempts at "Zone" updates over the years, particularly on television; CBS made a TV movie in 1994 based on several Serling episodes, and a short-lived show aired on UPN six years ago. On the film side, Summit is currently working on a film version of the Richard Matheson-penned "Countdown," about astronauts who land on a planet only to find a spacecraft that looks remarkably similar to their own.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

This is the way I think, constantly.

I have an appointment to go to at 8am on Wednesday, I'm going to stay at my parents house on Tuesday b/c I don't have a car to get myself to the appt. (also the fact that mom will probably have to wake me up) I'm thinking that my life is going to turn into an episode of the twilight zone. When I ask my parents for a ride back home, they're going to say "what are you talking about, you are home." And I'll ramble on about having my own place. I'll get looked at strangely and my mom will say, "maybe you better go upstairs to your room and take a nap" all my clothes and things will be back at home in the spots I had them. Everyone will keep telling me I'm crazy for thinking I had my own place.  I've come up with the 'twist' too. after I actually go crazy and sob hysterically about wanting to go back to my own place. the camera will come to my actual apartment and show you that all my other stuff is still here. Pictures on the wall, furniture I bought, and they'll be some note on my fridge, that says "to beth" and maybe I wasn't so insane after all.

ps. i may be insane.

who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

I call dips on adapting that.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer