Stella

Started by Ravi, June 26, 2005, 02:24:09 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: modagewatch the clip Sleepover here: http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/stella/index.jhtml
awesome. for once the joke is they're not making funny faces. right sleuth?  :crazyeyes:  :yabbse-wink:

i loved the shorts. i will steal the frist season when it comes out on dvd.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ok... so here I am... I sit down to watch the newest episode... and they play MIND OF FUCKING MENCIA.  POSSIBLY THE WORST SHOW ON COMEDY CENTRAL.

Maybe I missed when it was the end of the season, but why, God, why?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

72teeth

yeah, last week was the season ender...and no word on if it's gettin another season or not so...fingers crossed...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

showalter said they were doing 'okay' in the ratings (about halfway through the season).  he also said that some people HATE them and go on the comedy central (and other) message boards just to rant on how its the worst show on television.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

meatwad

Quote from: modageshowalter said they were doing 'okay' in the ratings (about halfway through the season).  he also said that some people HATE them and go on the comedy central (and other) message boards just to rant on how its the worst show on television.

this is from the Gothamist interview with Michael Ian Black

How is Stella doing?

It's going well in the respect that we have made 10 episodes that are funny. It's going poorly in the respect that no one in America is watching them. I shouldn't say nobody, dozens of people are watching on a weekly basis.

How can we change that?

If you've got several 100 Nielson boxes you can change it very quickly.

So what does the station...

What is the prognosis?

Yeah.
We are on life support right now. But you know, they've got very good medicine these days, so you never know.

Perhaps The Baxter will help...
No, I think the opposite is true; unfortunately we are going to drag The Baxter down.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: WalrusMIND OF FUCKING MENCIA.  POSSIBLY THE WORST SHOW ON COMEDY CENTRAL.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.  Five minutes of that shit and I was begging for repeats of Joe Rogan/Doug Stanhope-era Man Show.  

On the subject of Stella, I'm amazed that the show wasn't cancelled before all 10 episodes ran.  I love it but after that first episode, I knew most people would think it was the worst thing they'd ever seen.  They need to be caught up to, kind of like how it happened with Ben Stiller.  

Comedy Central should run the DVD shorts on the "Secret Stash" one night and see how they play; the fact that they have to hold back because of standards and practices (slightly) hurts the show.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

After reading that interview, I'm still quite hopeful that a second season will come out.

I watched every episode of Stella religiously, so I hope there will at least be a DVD...

But they usually use facades in interviews in an Andy Kaufman sort of way, so I really hope most of what Michael Ian Black said was just to play with our minds...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

meatwad

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm 7,885.

Maybe they'll even release a DVD of the first season.  I'm hopeful.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This Sunday from 7am - 8:30am, they're airing Pilot, Coffee Shop, Campaign and Paper Route.

...it was exciting at first, but now I know why people have TiVo.

grand theft sparrow

I saw David Wain on the subway last week.  He got on the same car I did.  He got off the train before I had worked up the nerve to say something to him.

cine

Quote from: hacksparrow on March 03, 2006, 07:40:06 AM
He got off the train before I had worked up the nerve to say something to him.

at the time, i probably would've been like "hey lookin' forward to season 2 of stella!" but then i'd regret it cause they've now revealed the shows been cancelled.  :(

Ravi

The threshold for ratings for a show to be successful on cable is lower than on network TV.  Were Stella's ratings really that bad?

cine

well for some reason it was enough for them to release their first season dvd this fall.. but i don't get why they didn't renew it.