good movies too "proper" for you to dig

Started by pete, June 16, 2005, 01:50:55 AM

pete

kinda like a less controversial of the movies assholes dig thread.  this is about those movies that are supposedly good but you would never know because it's just too "proper" for you to give a shit.

I will start.  lets be snobby!

Ron Howard films
Braveheart
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

I always felt the same about Ron Howard films. They always just felt just good enough to keep you just entertained. Don't do to much to piss off viewers. IMAGINE that dough if we can do just enough!!

This is the way I feel about the Spiderman movies. They just do barely enough to keep you entertained. Most summer blockbuster are the same actually.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

w/o horse

My list would start long lines of people waiting to argue with me, but rest assured that just because a film is a 'classic' or 'revolutionary film' or 'seminal indie film' or whatever doesn't make it pass in my book.

I'll give a short list for participatory purposes:

Cameron Crowe films.
American Beauty.
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (but Soderbergh agrees with me on this one).
JFK.
Drugstore Cowboy, Elephant.

And of course I third the Ron Howard vote.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Myxo

Finn

almost any historical epic like Kingdom of Heaven or Troy. it's like they're trying so hard to be authentic while stamping Oscars all over it
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

pete

oh yeah, and wet hot american summer.  I just can't get into that movie.  I laugh when friends quote that movie but everytime I watch it I just end up staring at it like terry schivo at everything.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: peteoh yeah, and wet hot american summer.  I just can't get into that movie.  I laugh when friends quote that movie but everytime I watch it I just end up staring at it like terry schivo at everything.

I only think I know what this thread is about, but do Rob Reiner films fit?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Is that supposed to be Terry Schiavo?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

So you mean movies that get lots of praise but, to you, don't seem that interesting?  Am I getting that right?

Since Ron Howard is a given...

Anything by Lasse Hallstrom except for Gilbert Grape.

Anything by Sydney Pollack after Tootsie.

MacGuffin

I'll prefer to watch a Ron Howard movie over a Merchant/Ivory one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Kevin Spacey is one of my worsts. I can't dig him. "Listen here, baby, if you don't like the way I act, you can leave, sugar"

Annete Bening is another one.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

Quote from: Stefen Posts DrunkerKevin Spacey is one of my worsts. I can't dig him. "Listen here, baby, if you don't like the way I act, you can leave, sugar"

What exactly don't you like about him?

jtm

stefen, i'm dying to know who wrote ur sig.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Jay Tee Emstefen, i'm dying to know who wrote ur sig.

Kevin Spacey.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Find Your Magali

Never got around to watching these, because I didn't like being told they would be "good" for me, liking eating granola cereal or brussel sprouts:

The Hours
Far From Heaven (Sorry, Julianne!)
White Oleander

Just a few there....