crazy frog: ringtone to the apocalypse

Started by Pubrick, May 30, 2005, 02:49:36 AM

Pubrick

i've been hearing it since last year. it's always on tv. ppl are actually buying cds of it.

for those lucky ppl who don't know what it is:

Crazy Frog hops to chart success  

The Crazy Frog ringtone has revved straight to the top of the charts, beating nearest rival Coldplay to the number one slot.
The new version of Axel F - the theme to the Beverly Hills Cop films - is the first mobile ringtone to make it into the charts.

related thread on 8bit music

related quote:
Quote from: Pubrick
we are very near the end of civilization, people.

discuss ringtones, good ones, and express ur disbelief at the state of the world.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Well what the hell does it sound like?

I think it'd be a little ironic to have the Coldplay song for your ringtone.  To have your phone ring (which is always loud and annoying) to the part where he'd sing "All that noise, all that sound!"  It's almost as if they'd anticipated how "the machine" works and that it would be a ringtone on people's phones.

EDIT: Oh, I guess it's just the Axel Foley Theme... the Crazy Frog bit threw me.

Pubrick

no, it's Axel F with the crazy frog going crazy on it.

http://www.web2txt.co.uk/crazy-frog-ringtone.php

Quote from: matt35mmI think it'd be a little ironic to have the Coldplay song for your ringtone.  To have your phone ring (which is always loud and annoying) to the part where he'd sing "All that noise, all that sound!"  It's almost as if they'd anticipated how "the machine" works and that it would be a ringtone on people's phones.
i think u misunderstood. they weren't the ringtone charts.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

the only threat for me is that the bravery will secure the no 1 spot next week when they release their 4556th single this year.

but seriously this is just mental. what the hell drives the people who buys this shit? no, not coldplay, the crazy frog. it's not funny anymore, you'll probably laugh the first time. but the second time it's not even funny, it's just irritating. and all of those corrupt mobile company who royally fuck people up by stealing their cash with this awful stench. it's NOT FUCKING FUN. GET IT???? i noticed that some company had replaced the frog with another animal. this will never die unless george w bush drops the nuclear bomb on us.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Didn't Jay Mohr have something abuot cellphones in his Comedy Central Presents, it was something like... "Annoying cell phone rings are directly related to how long it will take someone to pick it up.  People with the most annoying ring will listen to it, pissing everyone off, acting like it's not their phone with that stupid fucking ringtone, and then pick it up saying something stupid like "Sorry, I thought I wasn't the only one with a ring like this."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Quote from: Pubrickno, it's Axel F with the crazy frog going crazy on it.

http://www.web2txt.co.uk/crazy-frog-ringtone.php

Quote from: matt35mmI think it'd be a little ironic to have the Coldplay song for your ringtone.  To have your phone ring (which is always loud and annoying) to the part where he'd sing "All that noise, all that sound!"  It's almost as if they'd anticipated how "the machine" works and that it would be a ringtone on people's phones.
i think u misunderstood. they weren't the ringtone charts.
Oh.  I see.

God save us all.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Crazy Frog ringtone hops over from U.K.

Pop music's latest British invasion started out as a novelty tune aimed primarily at children. But it has been giving grown-ups across the Atlantic headaches all summer and now seems poised to do the same here.

Axel F, the debut single from Crazy Frog - an animated cartoon character representing a pair of mixmasters known as Bass Bumpers who were chosen by German music executive Wolfgang Boss to produce the song - combines the theme from the 1984     Eddie Murphy vehicle Beverly Hills Cop with a ringtone from German-based company Jamba. Frog quickly leaped to No. 1 on the U.K. pop chart, handily usurping that spot from Coldplay, and has sold more than 1 million copies in Europe.

On the flip side, Crazy Frog has attracted its share of naysayers, among them disgruntled parents whose children have downloaded the ringtone from the service Jamster and incurred sometimes-substantial charges as a result.

This week, Universal Records and Next Plateau Entertainment unleashed the Frog on American radio, and the results so far have been par for the course. Axel F is already in Radio Disney's top 5 and is the most requested track at Sirius Satellite Radio, but it has also provoked complaints.

Paul "Cubby" Bryant, music director at New York-based top 40 station WHTZ-FM, says the controversial confection has not only become the top-requested song "but has also been in the top 5 in terms of 'I hate it' responses. It's polarizing, which is something we often see with novelty songs. The 12-to-22-year-old demographic likes it, but the older the listeners get, the more likely we'll hear, 'What are you doing?' "

On Monday, Gut Records will release a U.K. album of Crazy Frog mixes, Crazy Frog Presents Crazy Hits, featuring new mixes of old hits including Technotronic's Pump Up the Jam.

Gut chief Guy Holmes says the CD will feature videos and interactive games. "It's purely about having a bit of fun. We thought this thing was mainly for kids, but the reality seems to be that there are a lot of adults who haven't grown up."

Next Plateau president Eddie O'Loughlin says the American version of Crazy Hits, due Aug. 30, will be more adult-friendly, with "sports-stadium anthems" such as Whoomp! (There It Is) and Who Let the Frogs Out. But O'Loughlin doesn't lament the irritation factor: "It was the overwhelming response from people who either loved or were annoyed by the ringtone that made me think it's a natural connection to a potential hit record."

However, Bryant warns, "There's a fatigue level with this kind of sound. If the other songs (on Crazy Hits) aren't different, they'll burn out quick."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks