Best Debut Film

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:11:47 PM

The Obstruction

I have only seen Napoleon Dynamite, we are always like 6-12 months behind over here in Denmark, It was all right, I'll vote for Pedro every day, cause remmeber he will have all my dreams come thru.

"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

analogzombie

shaun of the dead = robbed

you guys sold out a film which will turn out to be the debut of a new comedic voice to be reckoned with for a second rate actor on an NBC show telling his personal story, bleh
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Myxo

Quote from: analogzombieyou guys sold out a film which will turn out to be the debut of a new comedic voice to be reckoned with for a second rate actor on an NBC show telling his personal story, bleh

How many second rate NBC actors write and direct films like Garden State?

..and I fail to understand why him telling his personal story is somehow seen as a negative..

I'm one of the few I guess who hated Shaun of the Dead. By the time they arrived in the bar to get away from the zombies, I just wanted it to end. The campyness and zombie humor that only people who love Romero appreciate, was only entertaining for about 20 minutes as far as I'm concerned.

They easily could have made Shaun of the Dead into a 30 minute short and it might be tolerable.

modage

well. we found someone who owns up to voting for garden state.  its not campy.  its not humor only romero fans can appreciate.  the more you know, the more you can get out of it.  but the movie still functions if you've never seen a zombie movie in your life.  there are layers upon layers of jokes.  if you didnt get it, thats one thing, but you actually HATED it?  i dont understand how thats possible.  are there other comedies you hate because they should have been 30 minutes?  or just zombie movies?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02if you didnt get it, thats one thing, but you actually HATED it?  i dont understand how thats possible.
forget it mod, it's myxotown
under the paving stones.

xerxes

i voted for garden state.

mogwai

i voted for 1 night in paris.

Pas

All the nominees were better than Garden State. I guess a lot of you are on prozac or something.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: themodernage02if you didnt get it, thats one thing, but you actually HATED it?  i dont understand how thats possible.
forget it mod, it's myxotown

:lol:

I love you too Pubrick.

Anyway.

Maybe I would like it more having seen it again. There are an aweful lot of films that I love, and I fully expected Shaun of the Dead to be one of those. However, sitting in the theater I probably had one or two good laughs. Alot of people loved it and can't stop talking about how hilarioous it was, but I just didn't like it..

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: mogwaii voted for 1 night in paris.

I voted for One Night In Chyna.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye