Super 8mm

Started by Redlum, February 08, 2005, 02:18:11 PM

Redlum

Having gone to a Kodak lecture recently and learning that 35mm, 16mm are all cut from the same emulsion batch Im really eager to do some shooting on film. I've got all the different stocks down and would like to shoot on Kodaks Vision 200T negative stock.

What I dont know much about are the Super 8mm cameras and how to get a good deal on one. I don't want to spend too much but would like as much control as possible. Does anyone here at Xixax know much about Super 8mm cameras and could they point me in the direction of a good one. I see there are lots on ebay but find it hard to distinguish between them.

Cheers. Red.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

when i had the same questions as you, i found all answers on this site

cowboykurtis

i've had a good experience with this company: www.pro8mm.com

they cut-cutdown their super 8 from kodak vision -- they probably have the largest choices of film stock -- tehy also do quite good telecine work. haven't used there camera's but have heard only good things
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Pro8mm is awesome, except that their prices really end up being about the same as 16mm. So if you're shooting super8 because you like it, it's great - but if it's for cost-effectiveness, you'll want to take a slightly less professional route.

John Michaels

Pro8mm has got to have the worst quality and customer service in the industry!  I would definitely avoid them if possible.  The film they use for their super 8 is old cut down short ends.  I have only had marginal results with their film product, processing or telecine.

A new company I have used is Spectra Film and Video.  They sell only fresh Kodak brand films with their discounted processing and telecine.  This includes a new variety of Vision 2 negative films that look fantastic!   Plus they offer the same packages for 16mm as well.  Not only is the quality better but the prices are lower!   :yabbse-wink:

If you want a nice bunch of people to walk you through the process of shooting film, this is the place to go: www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

hedwig

*COUGH* help me, im bout to choke on this spamwich

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

Quote from: John MichaelsPro8mm has got to have the worst quality and customer service in the industry!  I would definitely avoid them if possible.  The film they use for their super 8 is old cut down short ends.  I have only had marginal results with their film product, processing or telecine.

A new company I have used is Spectra Film and Video.  They sell only fresh Kodak brand films with their discounted processing and telecine.  This includes a new variety of Vision 2 negative films that look fantastic!   Plus they offer the same packages for 16mm as well.  Not only is the quality better but the prices are lower!   :yabbse-wink:

If you want a nice bunch of people to walk you through the process of shooting film, this is the place to go: www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

The  :yabbse-wink:  was the killer.  And the exclamation points.
My house, my rules, my coffee