Beck: Guero

Started by Alexandro, January 20, 2005, 05:58:59 PM

Alexandro

From www.beck.com:

:::::: 01.20.05: Guero Out March 29 ::::::
The new Beck studio album, titled Guero will finally drop March 29th 2005. Here is the tracklisting.
E-Pro
Que Onda Guero
Girl
Missing
Black Tambourine
Earthquake Weather
Hell Yes
Broken Drum
Scarecrow
Go It Alone
Farewell Ride
Rental Car
Emergency Exit

The first single, E-Pro, will arrive at radio stations next month.

modage

this will probably be redirected to the other beck thread, but for anyone interested the album has already leaked...

BECK ALBUM TRACKS APPEAR ONLINE
NME.COM

Tracks from the much-delayed new BECK album have leaked onto the Internet.

The follow-up to 2002's 'Sea Change' was originally due for release in October, but has been put back, with sometime March 21 or 28now being mooted as the release date.

But 13 tracks have turned up online.

Track titles include 'Guero', 'Go It Alone', 'E-Pro', 'Brazilica' and 'Summer Girl'.

The new tracks, produced by The Dust Brothers, revert back the 'classic' Beck sound of 'Mellow Gold' and 'Odelay' after the largely acoustic 'Sea Change'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upon listening to it, it is very odelay/mellow gold-y, which is good news for anyone who wanted beck to go back to that.  but fairly disappointing for me because it really does seem to be like looking backwards instead of moving forwards.  beck is usually such a surprise but this feels sort of surprising only because hes actually repeating himself.  he never made the 'rock' album he talked about and although this album has a handful of good songs its nowhere near as good as odelay or his recent depressed/funked out work.  the first time i listened through it, i was literally thinking 'i hope this is somehow not the finished version'.  beck is awesome, but it'd be like if the beatles after abbey road made one last album that sounded like meet the beatles.  why?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i just listened to Que Ondo Guero.
it really does sound like a step back.
i know he has tons of back catalogue stuff.
maybe he just assembled it out of that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pedro

yeah the title track is really dumb, but a lot of the other stuff is really really good.  so all in all, it's worth listening to.

NEON MERCURY

that really sucks that beck is going odelay style.  that album now is kind of cheesy and feels fake or some other shit like that.  if he's going back to that style i think he should do it like mutations which is a mix between odelay and sea change IMO.  and midnight vultures is incredible.

tpfkabi

i'm going to have to disagree with Odelay sounding cheesy. i don't think Derelict, Devil's Haircut, New Pollution, etc could ever be categorized that way. the thing with Que Undo Guero is that it's almost like Beck doing his own kind of Macarena song. not quite like that, but almost.

has anyone downloaded both the early leaked version and the actual final product? i don't really want to spoil the album, i just want to download the tracks that didn't make the final album, and/or tracks that have undergone major changes from early version to finished studio version.

modage

i dont think there are two versions. the versions that leaked are the versions that beck finished a couple months ago and the  versions that will be on the album in a month.  i could be wrong, (i hope i'm wrong).  iTunes has a handful of the new songs in remix form for download and it did sound like the vocals were a different take on one of the snippets i heard but maybe i was just imagining.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

the titles are the same or similiar except for Brazilica, Nazarene and Chain Reaction. that's why i was thinking there would be different tracks.

modage

yeah i think the titles were provisional, other than that, the songs are done.  just like on midnite vultures 'broken train' was 'out of kontrol' till the last minute.  but maybe one or two of the tracks has been replaced, but i doubt it, but i hope so.

cover art:

tpfkabi

i just listened to Chain Reaction. i wouldn't be surprised if that was an older song that he dusted off and recorded. i think Brazilica is probably newer because it's melodically close to Sea Change.

Squeo

Awesome Marcel Dzama cover art.

i think that is the least interesting dzama painting i have seen from him; there is a ridiculous circle over it could be a contributant.

Ghostboy

Maybe that circle will simply be a sticker on the jewel case - that's what it looks like, at least.

I used to like Odelay okay in high school, but I can't really listen to it anymore - not when I could be listening to Mutations instead (I sort of reserve Sea Change for special occasions). I like Midnight Vultures more, too - it's shallow, but brilliant. I hope Guero turns out to be another progression - I'll withhold judgement until I've actually heard any of it, which won't be until it gets released in stores. I'm hoping for the best.

Stefen

Im a Sea Change/Mutations type Beck fan. Brazilica is fantastic and probably one of the best songs I have heard in a long time, but the rest of the album is predictable and boring. Maybe it will grow on me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mutations is my favorite Beck album,too  
Fun fact:  E-Pro didn't made it as a single here in Mexico, radio stations decided to air Que Onda Güero instead, and it's getting very very famous. that song is hilarious.
context, context, context.