Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

Pubrick

linklater is the soderbergh of our times  :shock:

i wonder whose script they'll use. the kaufman (which i understand was rejected long ago) is pretty faithful/good.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

P, have you read the Kaufman?

Is that available on the interneticon?

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateP, have you read the Kaufman?

Is that available on the interneticon?
yep i got it from here.. http://www.beingcharliekaufman.com/index.htm?scripts.htm&2
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Does anyone know if Before Sunset will make any reference to the Waking Life segment featuring Hawke and Delpy.  Or is the Waking Life segment just an alternate reality of some sort?

Ghostboy

I'm working on a music video this week and the DP is the guy who shot Before Sunset (and its predecessor). Anyway, word is that Linklater's gearing up to shoot A Scanner Darkly in Austin; from what I understand, it'll be shot entirely on green screen, the sets will be created in CG, and the actors will be rotoscoped, resulting in something that sounds like Sky Captain meets Waking Life.

Also, Keanu might be in it.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Keanu Reeves Starring in A Scanner Darkly
Source: Variety

Keanu Reeves will star in A Scanner Darkly for Warner Independent Pictures, with School of Rock helmer Richard Linklater in talks to direct, reports Variety. Linklater wrote the most recent draft of the script.

George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh's Section 8 will produce the film, an adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel. A Scanner Darkly will employ the same technology Linklater used in Waking Life. It will be shot live-action, then animated.

The story takes place in the future, where undercover agents change their faces along with their identities. Reeves plays one such officer, and his liberal ingestion of the drug Substance D causes him to develop a split personality.

Warner Independent is preparing the film for a May start.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pedro the Wombateww

wwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

matt35mm

Can I just say that I FUCKING LOVE Richard Linklater?  Waking Life is my second favorite film, behind Magnolia.

Alethia

Quote from: matt35mmCan I just say that I FUCKING LOVE Richard Linklater?  

yes you can.  can i say it too?  cuz I DO!!

RegularKarate

Can I just say that Linklater is decent, but overrated?

BTW, he's almost definitly doing Scanner Darkly, at the Panel Discussion at SXSW, he said he was waiting on the final phone call that day to confirm it would happen.

He didn't say anything about greenscreen or DV, but no one asked.

I like Linklater, but PKD is gonna be ruined by Hollywood and I don't think  Linklater's adaptation is going to help prevent that.

modage

okay, despite my problem with movies that are plays, i watched TAPE tonite and enjoyed it for what it was.  a pretty decent play with three interesting characters.  i was totally on the edge of my seat with all the tension in the film waiting to find out what was going on, but in the end its not something that i would want to re-watch/buy.  i liked how every character is more than what they are at first appearance, as in, the tables turn several times as to who your sympathies lie with/who you can relate to.  so, that was interesting.  (but i thought he had wrote the movie too, but he didnt so i guess his contribution was pretty slight.)  a brief history of linklater and myself.....  i loved dazed and confused in highschool (like everybody does), saw suburbia shortly after and hated it, didnt really like before sunrise too much, never saw but made fun of the newton boys, liked the look/idea of waking life but dont want to see it again because there was nothing to grab onto, and liked school of rock.  i will see slacker when it comes out soon, and probably before sunset when it comes to dvd later this year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bigperm

I got a call to see an early cut of a Scanner Darkly, sans the animation. Then the lady asked me if I had read the book, I said yes, she said sorry you can't come, we want people who know nothing about the story. Another screening will be next week and I may get to see it then.
Safe As Milk

Alethia