Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

Pubrick

What do we think of the title?

Before sunrise and before sunset was such a perfect pair of films, in title, concept, everything. Midnight doesn't even make sense, it loses the sun as a metaphor. They should have either brought the moon and stars into it or shut the hell up.

Maybe that's what they were aiming for, but realised that before twilight would be infringing on another franchise and after the sunset would recall a film by the most reprehensible of directors.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

My impression is that nobody has confirmed that title. I don't know where it came from.

The working title for Before Sunset was If Not Now... so who knows how beholden they really feel to the Before/After Time of Day kind of title, especially if there's just no way to do it right.

Actually, it seems that their whole attitude toward this movie is that if it isn't gonna work out great, then let's just not make it. There is no obligation to any title or even to the existence of the movie itself. Given that, the hope is that they won't settle on some dumb title or some dumb premise just to get a third movie.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke Complete 'Before Midnight'; Set 2013 Release
Source: Playlist

The highly anticipated third chapter in Richard Linklater's "Before Sunrise/set" saga has completed filming, and is officially titled "Before Midnight," it was announced today.

Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke reprise their roles of Celine and Jesse in the film, which takes place nine years after 2004's "Before Sunset" and was shot in Messinia, Greece. Hawke first suggested the second sequel was a go in an interview with Indiewire earlier this year.

The screenplay is once again by Linklater, Delpy and Hawke, the same team that garnered an Oscar nomination for "Sunset." 

The film is produced by Linklater's Detour Filmproduction, Christos V. Konstantakopoulos and Sara Woodhatch of Faliro House and Jacob Pechenik of Venture 4TH, together with Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer of Castle Rock Entertainment. Linklater's longtime collaborator, John Sloss of Cinetic Media, is executive producing and handling domestic sales.

The filmmakers said they are "looking forward to sharing the third chapter of Celine and Jesse's relationship through worldwide release in 2013." In a statement, Linklater, Hawke and Delpy said of the film and their collaboration:  "It's great to be back together again, this time in beautiful Greece to revisit the lives of Celine and Jesse nine years after Jesse was about to miss his flight."

Fingers crossed for a 2013 Sundance Film Festival premiere.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Julie Delpy IS hot, Ethan Hawke... was he ever relevant?

And I trust Linklater to just nail this again.

The title, not a big fan either. Maybe it'll make sense when we see the movie.

Also, what's with this Panda nonsense?!
Si

wilder

12 Years Later, Richard Linklater Plans 'Boyhood' Release; Fall Shoot In the Works For 'Dazed and Confused' Spiritual Sequel
via The Film Stage

When it comes to the career of Richard Linklater, one never quite knows that to expect next. Constantly changing genres and styles, just last year he surprised us with the secret shoot for Before Midnight and with that film hitting limited release this weekend, we've got updates on two of his long-gestating projects that we may see sooner than later.

We got an update on both of these works two years ago and now first up, it looks like his 12-years-in-the-making Boyhood is still on track for a 2014 release. An epic undertaking, shooting on and off since the summer of 2002, the film follows Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as a divorced couple who try to raise their child (Ellar Salmon), chronicling the boy's life from first grade to the start of college.

Linklater recently told Collider that, "we're kind of stuck in a chronology of age, so I think I'd like to be done with it next year. I think it would be great if it came out in 2014. I'm not totally sure, but that seems about right." He added that his timeline has been his original plan and for those thinking it could be extensive in length he said, "It's one feature film. It'll be a little longer, like over two hours, but it's not five hours or eight hours. It's feature-length."

As for the other project, much has been rumored about his spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused. Set during the first weekend at college, it's titled That's What I'm Talking About and wouldn't feature any of the original characters. There was word that it was all financed, but we haven't heard much..until now. Speaking in a Reddit AMA, he remarked, "Hoping to make it this fall, actually. A college comedy. I feel like mixing it up with a big ensemble."

wilder

Boyhood will be released on July 11, 2014

why does something as ambitious and rare as this not have a trailer...

matt35mm

Here's some shit I shot for the Austin Film Society. Richard Linklater talking at length about:

Jean-Luc Godard's Every Man for Himself
Sam Fuller's White Dog
Jonathan Demme's Melvin & Howard
Warren Beatty's Reds
Bob Fosse's Star 80

Coming up are videos for DAS BOOT, CUTTER'S WAY, and FANNY & ALEXANDER. Then they'll announce the next wave of movies. This is all part of an 80s series that Linklater is doing mostly every week here in Austin, showing 35mm prints and then chattin' about them afterward for a while in a loose, conversational style. It's pretty kewl.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/watch-richard-linklater-talks-godard-fuller-demme-more-in-austin-film-society-series/

EDIT: Oh wait here's the DAS BOOT one, just shot last night:

jenkins

terrific adult biz moment for you, glad you were the one trusted to do this! :) thanks for the share

from the nymphos thread i thought "should i defend godard right now?" then i thought "nah, everyone has heard the song." so, happy linklater knows the lyrics, about godard transforming the nature of cinema

MacGuffin

Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis to Star in 'Larry's Kidney' for Richard Linklater
Scott Aversano is producing the adaptation of Daniel Asa Rose's memoir
Source: TheWrap

Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis are set to star in an adaptation of Daniel Asa Rose's touching comic memoir "Larry's Kidney," which will be directed by Richard Linklater, TheWrap has learned.

Scott Aversano will produce through his Aversano Films banner, and according to his bio on Focus Features' official website for "That Awkward Moment," production was expected to start in the spring. It remains unclear when cameras will begin rolling.

According to BookTheWriter.com, Ferrell will play author Daniel Asa Rose, who traveled to China with his black-sheep cousin Larry (Galifianakis) and his mail-order bride to save Larry's life by skirting the law and securing him a kidney transplant.

CAA is handling sales for the project, which balances comedy with life-and-death stakes. Another element of the project's appeal is its Chinese setting, as China is one of the fastest-growing moviegoing markets in the world.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

max from fearless

THANK YOU MEGAN!!!!

Paramount And Megan Ellison Get Behind Richard Linklater's 'That's What I'm Talking About' via The Playlist

It looks like Paramount is continuing its long-running relationship with Richard Linklater. The filmmaker directed the surprise hit "School Of Rock" and remade "Bad News Bears" for the studio, which has also stepped in to handle home video distribution for Linklater's Oscar contending, critics favorite "Boyhood." And the fruitful relationship between the studio and director will continue with his next movie.

Cinephile fave Megan Ellison, who produced this year's hugely acclaimed "Foxcatcher," will produce Linklater's "That's What I'm Talking About" via her Annapurna Pictures, with Paramount taking North American distribution rights. The film features a batch of new and rising actors —Tyler Hoechlin, Wyatt Russell, Ryan Guzman, Zoey Deutch, Will Brittain, and Glen Powell— in this "spiritual sequel" to "Dazed & Confused," regarding a college freshman who rolls with some colorful baseball players in the 1980s. It's set in the world of sports, but knowing Linklater, it will likely be more about the experience of stepping into adulthood, among other things.

Production on the comedy will begin soon, so carve out a space on the 2015 calendar for the movie.

Mel

21 Years: Richard Linklater
It's been said that the first 21 years defines the career of an artist. Few directors have single-handedly shaken up the film establishment like the godfather of indie, Richard Linklater. From the groundbreaking SLACKER to his innovative BOYHOOD, Linklater has reached the 21-year mark and has unapologetically carved his signature into American pop culture. Get a raw and honest perspective on Richard through candid conversations with Ethan Hawke, Jack Black, Keanu Reeves, Billy Bob Thornton, Matthew McConaughey, Jason Reitman, Julie Delpy and others, and see their stories brought to life through hilarious animated sequences. For a man who became famous for celebrating the cool and casual, Linklater emerges as a surprisingly strategic and visionary director who has already established a legacy and perfected a style that can't be denied.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Something Spanish

I was coming out of the Film Forum last night after watching two movies starring Orson Wells (The Long, Hot Summer & Compulsion) and noticed a small production taking place right outside the theatre. It was a commercial shoot for an Oscar spot starring Linklater. Doug Liman was directing. All it was was Rick walking into the Film Forum, dolly in on him, he turns to the camera and that's that. Spoke with him for a few minutes after they wrapped, really nice guy. What's funny is while watching the Long, Hot Summer I thought Jack Black would have made a great Wells in Linklater's Me and Orson Wells.