Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

MacGuffin

Paramount goes back to 'School'
'Rock' sequel reunites Black, Linklater, Rudin
Source: Variety

School is back in session for Paramount Pictures.

Studio is developing a "School of Rock" sequel, with Jack Black attached to reprise his role as rock star wannabe/substitute teacher Dewey Finn, who in the original film turned a class of fifth-grade high-achievers into high-voltage rock 'n' rollers. Richard Linklater is attached to direct again, and Scott Rudin is returning as producer.

Mike White, who penned the 2003 comedy, is writing the screenplay, titled "School of Rock 2: America Rocks," which picks up with Finn leading a group of summer school students on a cross-country field trip that delves into the history of rock 'n' roll and explores the roots of blues, rap, country and other genres.

Original film was a box office hit for the studio, costing just $30 million to make and earning $131 million worldwide.

White's Rip Cord Prods. has a first-look deal with the studio. He and Black started Black & White Prods. in 2004 but parted ways in 2006. White's writing credits include several Black vehicles, including "Orange County" and "Nacho Libre," both for Paramount. White wrote and directed last year's "Year of the Dog" for Paramount Vantage,

Black, who recently dropped out of the Todd Phillips-helmed comedy "Man-Witch," stars in two upcoming high-profile comedies: Ben Stiller's "Tropic Thunder," opening Aug. 15, and the Judd Apatow-produced "Year One," which bows next June.

Linklater most recently helmed "A Scanner Darkly" for Warner Independent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

RICHARD LINKLATER IS STILL DAZED AND CONFUSED
Source: CHUD

Last night our spy, who goes by the super secret spy name Eric, was at a screening of Dazed & Confused held to support Austin mayoral candidate Brewster McCraken, who you have to get behind just for his name. Richard Linklater was in the house, and at the Q&A after the movie he talked a little bit about what's coming next for him. And that would be 'a sort of spiritual sequel' to Dazed.

The movie, which he is shooting in and around Austin this summer, will be about the first weekend of college in 1980. So while thematically it'll bookend Dazed, it won't have any of the same characters (which makes sense, as all of the actors are decades older and would look weird pretending it's just four years later).

Linklater's been talking about this movie for a while, but the fact that he plans on shooting it this summer seems to be the new bit of news. Of course, even without that I'd be happy to run any article that champions Linklater - who was once one of my favorite directors - getting back into that loosey-goosey, day-in-the-life style that he is so perfect with.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Richard Linklater favors 'Liars'
Director nearing deal for film

Richard Linklater ("School of Rock") is nearing a deal to direct "Liars (A-E)" for Scott Rudin and Miramax.

Project, penned by Emma Forrest, is a romantic comedy about a woman who, on the way to President Obama's inauguration, retrieves lost items from her ex-boyfriends.

Kat Dennings is set to play the woman's pal.

Linklater's most recent directorial effort is "Me and Orson Welles," which bowed at the Toronto Film Festival last year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I didn't even know about Me and Orson Welles.  Played at the festival last year... that sounds like it has no distributor.  It sounds pretty interesting from some brief research, though.

MacGuffin

Hall Toplines "Liars (A-E)"

Rebecca Hall will star in "Liars (A-E)," the Richard Linklater-directed comedy for Miramax.

Scott Rudin is producing.

Hall will play a woman who is dumped by her rocker fiancé on the eve of Barack Obama's presidential election victory. She takes a road trip with a pal (Kat Dennings) to President Obama's inauguration, and makes stops along the way to ex-boyfriends to retrieve lost items.

Emma Forrest wrote the script.

Hall, most recently seen in "Frost/Nixon" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," is currently starring alongside Ben Affleck and Jon Hamm in the love triangle "The Town," which Affleck wrote and is directing for Warner Bros.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 17, 2009, 07:39:03 PM
Hall Toplines "Liars (A-E)"
in the love triangle

All she does is love triangle movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine and filmmaker Richard Linklater ("School of Rock") are teaming for the dark comedy "Bernie" for Mandalay Vision and Castle Rock Entertainment says The Hollywood Reporter.

Set in a small Texas town, the story follows mortician Bernie (Black) who begins an unlikely friendship with a wealthy but very particular widow (MacLaine). When he kills her, he goes to great lengths to maintain the illusion that she is still alive.

Celine Rattray, Martin Shafer, Liz Glotzer and Ginger Sledge will produce. Shooting kicks off in early October.

Carthage is pretty close to where I live, so I am very interested in this.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Just Withnail

Just wait until Bernie meets these guys, who give him a taste of his own medicine.

tpfkabi

http://www.thecherokeean.com/news/2010-10-13/Front_Page/BERNIE.html

This is about a local lady who got cast. Gives a little insight on Linklater's work ethic - at one point a man makes up a song and they go find a guitar and film it for the movie. Another man is mowing so someone gives him $100 to wait until later to finish.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Ethan Hawke Planning To Reunite With Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy To Write Third 'Before Sunrise' Film
Source: Playlist

Despite a brief flirtation with major stardom, Ethan Hawke has stayed relatively true to the independent scene with his relationship with fellow Texan Richard Linklater seemingly personifying this notion. The two have teamed up for no less than six films including "Waking Life," "Tape," "The Newton Boys," "Fast Food Nation" and, of course, "Before Sunrise" and its sequel "Before Sunset." While Hawke and Linklater also have their long-term project "Boyhood" in the works as well (more on that later), it looks like the two are at it again plotting a reunion with Julie Delpy for a third installement of the uber-popular 'Before...' series.

In an ingeniously structured interview with French outlet Allocine, which used music cues to draw out honest, candid responses from the actor about his filmography, the 'Before...' series was brought into the conversation by co-star/scribe Delpy's 2004 song "Je T'aime Tant" which yielded an interesting response from Hawke about the how immediate their plans may be.

"Well, I don't know what we're going to do but I know the three of us have been talking a lot in the last six months," Hawke revealed. "All of three of us have been having similar feelings that we're ready to revisit those characters. There's nine years between the first two movies and, if we made the film next summer, it would be nine years again so we're really started thinking that would be a good thing to do. We're going to try write it this year."

It does seem like an unrealistic aim to write the film by year's end and have production get underway 6 months after that, the 'Before...' films are relatively small productions, so anything is possible. And at the moment, their schedules aren't too busy eitheras Linklater is finished on "Bernie," Hawke recently wrapped lensing on "Total Recall" with Delpy's slate looking relatively free.

The interview also touched on Linklater's "Boyhood" which Hawke reaffirmed was "a movie about childhood. We've been making a short film once a year for nine years and it follows the life of a little boy from the time he's six to his eighteen. We have a few more years to go but we're almost done with it. I play his father, the little kid's the lead of the movie. It's a movie about time. You'll watch us all age in the movie, it's about growing up -- I can't wait for people to see it."

The actor also adds that he was set to feature in "Gattaca" helmer Andrew Niccol's fallen project "The Cross" (the musical cue was Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth"; the opening credit's for their second collaboration "Lord Of War"). The project was building a fairly solid cast including Orlando Bloom, Olga Kurylenko, Vincent Cassel and John Goodman for the story of a man in the near future trying to be the first to cross a mysterious border while a guard will go to any lengths to stop him.

"I feel like he should have a pass from the government and they should let him make any movie he wants, " Hawke reavealed. "The trouble with him is that his ideas for movies are often very expensive. I was going to do another movie , a script of his that's such a brilliant story. It was another science fiction movie, beautiful, called the 'The Cross.' Maybe someone will give us some money to make that. I really want to make that movie." Hawke admits he has yet to see "In Time," however, and probably hasn't spoken to Niccol recently as it looks like the director is set to next tackle an adaptation of "Twilight" novelist Stephanie Meyer's "The Host" starring Saoirse Ronan.

Either way, it's highly exciting to see Hawke, Linklater and Delpy at least plan to reunite for another 'Before...' series film. Are we looking at "After Sunrise" here? "After Sunset"? Or could we be moving onto something else entirely? If things pan out, we're sure we'll hear more about this soon enough.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

when those three get together, they can do no wrong.

polkablues

I could totally see them making a new one of these every nine years until they die. And I can see them all being amazing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Ethan Hawke Says 'Before Sunrise'/ 'Before Sunset' Followup Shoots This Summer

It's rare for two films as perfectly pitched and utterly delightful as "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" to come along, but can Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy and Richard Linklater three-peat? That's going to be the big question as news of the proposed followup has once again reared its head, and should it actually turn out to be fact, we could be seeing it very soon.
But first to recap: last fall, Hawke teased that he was re-teaming with Delpy and Linklater to write and make the film. "All of three of us have been having similar feelings that we're ready to revisit those characters. There's nine years between the first two movies and, if we made the film next summer, it would be nine years again so we're really started thinking that would be a good thing to do. We're going to try write it this year," Hawke said. However, Delpy poured cold water on that notion back in January saying, "We're thinking about it, but it's not official." But perhaps now things are moving along?

Chatting with Indiewire recently, Hawke seemed pretty confident the movie was going to get made, and even teased a little bit of what it might entail: "We're also doing a follow-up to 'Before Sunrise' and 'Before Sunset,' so that will be fun. We're going to shoot that this summer," he said. "I've gotten into trouble, so I'm sworn to secrecy. The biggest change between this one and the last one is the internet."

Hmm... Will Jesse and Celine continue their relationship on Skype? Maybe find each other all over again on Match.com? Get swindled by a Nigerian Prince scam? All we know is the magic of the previous films lied in the simple interactions between Hawke and Delpy, and we hope this doesn't fall too far down the technological rabbit hole. But will anything beat the closing shot of "Before Sunset"?

We'll see if this comes to fruition though. When we spoke to Linklater in April, he was pretty cagey about what he was up to next, though he might've been trying to keep this under wraps. And if anything, the "Before Sunrise"/"Before Sunset" films are the kind of low-key productions that could be made on the fly and under the radar. But expectations will be very high, so let's hope that if they do it, they do it right.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rumor: Is The 'Before Sunrise'/ 'Before Sunset' Followup Currently Shooting In Greece?

In the past little while, buzz has been building strong about Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy reteaming with Richard Linklater to shoot a followup to their beloved duo of films, "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset." In June, Hawke let it drop that lensing was going to take place this summer, but when we spoke to Delpy earlier this month, she said it won't be until "sometime in the next year, year and a half," because they're still writing it. But, something is happening which is prompting a lot of speculation at the moment.

Greece Reporter says (in rather fractured English), that Messinia in the south-west Peloponnese "has become a film set" for Linklater for what is apparently the third part of the trilogy. Meanwhile, Flix adds to the intrigue, reporting that Linklater's Detour Films is co-producing the picture with Christos Konstantakopoulos' Faliro House, hence the setting. But that's not the only connection as Faliro House were also behind the film "Attenberg," which was directed by Athina Rachel Tsangari, who had a small role in Linklater's breakout "Slacker." Coincidence? Moreover, the The Sceptical Traveler blog confirms that Hawke is staying on the island, and adds the (rumored) titled is "Before Midnight." Whatever it is Hawke is working on, production apparently started on August 15th and will continue until September.

So put that all together and what do you get? Well, mostly just evidence that Hawke is in Greece working on something. Curiously, Delpy is absent from all of these sightings which raises a flag. However, with Hawke previously teasing that "The biggest change between this one and the last one is the internet," could Jesse now be living abroad and catching up with Celine via emali or Skype? Is he working on something else entirely? Who knows. But hopefully, some more official word on just what Hawke is doing in Greece will emerge soon.

Skeleton FilmWorks