Best Male Performance: Adam Sandler for PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE

THE NOMINEES

Nicholas Cage (Adaptation)
Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York)
Jack Nicholson (About Schmidt)
Edward Norton (25th Hour)
Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love)

SHAFTR

I think this should have gone to Daniel Day Lewis.

Adam Sandler just did a role that many others could have pulled off, he just gets so much credit because it is so much better compared to any of his other work.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

I would have given it to Day-Lewis as well. Not for adam sandler giving a bad performance, but the fact he was basically playing the same character he has always played but on a different level. Day-Lewis seemed to bring to life a character that he had never played before and if I was asked to believe in any character for effectiveness, it would be Bill the Butcher. Also, Punch-Drunk Love was filled with greatness all around it while Gangs of New York didn't even meet a benchmark of being a good film, but is recommendable just on the performance of Day-Lewis.

~rougerum

neatahwanta

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI would have given it to Day-Lewis as well. Not for adam sandler giving a bad performance, but the fact he was basically playing the same character he has always played but on a different level. Day-Lewis seemed to bring to life a character that he had never played before and if I was asked to believe in any character for effectiveness, it would be Bill the Butcher. Also, Punch-Drunk Love was filled with greatness all around it while Gangs of New York didn't even meet a benchmark of being a good film, but is recommendable just on the performance of Day-Lewis.
~rougerum

eggs act lee

Tommy Both

Gangs' sucked alright..
Indeed: Daniel was the only decent aspect of Scorsece's overrated (I BETCHA MARTY IS GONNA GET THAT STATUE COME END OF THE MONTH - JUST LIKE DENZEL DID WITH TRAINING DAY LAST YEAR) "epic", but still, come on... even Daniel couldn't SAVE it  :?  How should I put it.. the first couple of scenes of Bill The Butcher were great and all, but after that he became more corny and a lot of the same.. Whereas Jack was just rockin' and rollin' non-stop and CARRYING his movie every second of it... Jack should win the Oscar alright.. Hopefully so he will...

abbey road

i was totally awed at sandlers performance, but it was in no way this years best, i say nicholas cage, or at leaste daniel day lewis, come on...
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"