Best Supporting Female Performance: Emily Watson for PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE

THE NOMINEES

Kathy Bates (About Schmidt)
Julianne Moore (The Hours)
Samantha Morton (Minority Report)
Leonor Watling (Talk to Her)
Emily Watson (Punch-Drunk Love)

Gold Trumpet

I wonder how she can be a winner when Paul Thomas Anderson's advice was for her to just be herself only while doing the role. I mean, actors have been known to play the same characters through movies and all, but to just be themselves? I'm not disagreeing that she didn't go a good job, because what she did was right for the role. But there's a difference between that and being named best actress of something.

Samantha Morton was sadly overlooked.

~rougerum

©brad

Right on. Samantha Morton had to act in a freezing cold pool for half the movie. I know it may sound silly but that must be pretty damn hard- god knows how much coverage they had to do on that set- plus her character is hysteric 99.5% of the time. I thought she gave quite the performance. Ms. Watson, god bless her, simply had to wear two different shades of pink and sip fruity drinks with umbrellas in Hawaii.

Duck Sauce

Does anybody know how many minutes she was actually in PDL?

polkablues

We should be ashamed of ourselves.  Emily Watson is one of the best actresses alive, but she didn't have to do anything in PDL!  Samantha Morton deserves this one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

av8raaron

I think it's arguable that Watson spent a decent amount more "active" screen time than Morton.  Too much floating, shivering, and freaking out.
Fresh buttered toast.

Film Student

Watson over Moore for "the hours"?   there is no god.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Xixax

I wonder if FS and I are the only sane ones in the crowd.

:(
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

polkablues

Samantha Morton deserves it for, above all else, her perfect delivery of the line, "He knows.  Don't go home."

I get chills when she says that.

Also, I haven't seen "The Hours" yet.
My house, my rules, my coffee

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Film StudentWatson over Moore for "the hours"?   there is no god.

Moore had my vote...agreed.

bonanzataz

I gave the vote to Bates. Bates was fantastic.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

I loved Watson in 'PDL' but I thought she was actually better in 'Red Dragon'. She was incredible in that (and she also really looked as if she was blind!). All she had to do in 'PDL' was look pretty (which isn't a hard task for her).

As for Bates in 'About Schmidt', she was hardly in it! All 10-15 minutes!
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

bonanzataz

Quote from: oakmanc234As for Bates in 'About Schmidt', she was hardly in it! All 10-15 minutes!

I don't give a shit. Bates stole every scene she was in, and that says a lot about her performance.

Hey, if Dame Judi Dench could win an oscar for a 5 minute walk-on role, then Bates should win a Xixax award for rocking the heezy.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

Anthony Hopkins is only in Silence of the Lambs for 21 minutes and he won the oscar for best actor.