Best Sound

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 05, 2003, 11:06:02 AM

Rudie Obias

i really think the other voters on this board are a lil' biased towards PTA.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

Quote from: rudieobi really think the other voters on this board are a lil' biased towards PTA.

im one of those other members, and i have to say that i didnt like the nominations i had to choose from. i listed pdl 3 times. all my other nominations were for other movies. in the end, i did the best with what i was able to vote for.

Ghostboy

Star Wars? PDL? Doesn't matter, the award still goes to Gary Rydstrom either way, the most brilliant sound designer in the biz.

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarateTo be honest, I've actually met sound designers who say that the Star Wars prequels are poorly mixed.  This isn't the reason I didn't vote for SW ( I didn't vote for PDL either), but I think the sound In AOC is a tad overbearing and not as impressive as other films out this year.

Interesting, since the same person (Gary Rydstrom) did the sound for both movies.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Quote from: Film Student
Quote from: RegularKarateTo be honest, I've actually met sound designers who say that the Star Wars prequels are poorly mixed.  This isn't the reason I didn't vote for SW ( I didn't vote for PDL either), but I think the sound In AOC is a tad overbearing and not as impressive as other films out this year.

Interesting, since the same person (Gary Rydstrom) did the sound for both movies.

Yeah, he did the sound mixing for both... and the same person (Roman Polanski) directed Chinatown and The Ninth Gate.

life_boy

Don't blame me, I voted for Minority Report.

bonanzataz

I have to admit I'm biased towards PDL but I really did think that this movie had the best sound in a movie that I've heard in a long time. What with the sweeping orchestral soundtrack blasting the speakers or the car just exploding out of nowhere, the soft, whirr of the wind. I LOVE the sound in this movie. I also loved the sound in the other movies nominated, but PDL got the vote for its originality. You KNOW that a sci-fi or action/adventure movie is going to have a good sound mix. It's expected that there will be lots of bass action. Those sound mixes were just standard, by the book mixes that have now become routine with those types of movies. Who expects an amazing soundtrack to an adam sandler/pt anderson comedy?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: Film Student

Yeah, he did the sound mixing for both... and the same person (Roman Polanski) directed Chinatown and The Ninth Gate.

Touche.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

oakmanc234

'PDL' did deserve this.

As for 'Star Wars', its just the same f***in 'zing' 'zong' 'zang' that we've heard from all the other ones.

Big whoop.

'PDL' sounded like something completely different. The music that didn't appear to match its sequence (but did), the sudden explosions of sound, musical score overiding the actions etc. All incredible.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'