THE NOMINEES

Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
Minority Report
Punch-Drunk Love
Signs
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Xixax

Um. OK. Let me get this straight.

PDL had better sound than Attack of the Clones or Lord of the Rings?

Lay off the crack, people!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

SHAFTR

I'm going to have to agree with Xixax...Attack of the Clones had amazing sound.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

Also agree. PDL can be the best picture- it doesn't have to win every category.

Raikus

Well, it's not a huge surprise that PDL won in categories undeserving. What's the percentage ration of old PTA boards as opposed to new people? 95%

This isn't a gripe, mind you, just that I figured something like this would happen. That being said, it's not like the Xixax awards actually hold any sway. I don't think we'll see the DVD cover to PDL with "Winner of 8 Xixax Awards for 2003. Best picture, best sound, best editing, best soundtrack, best fanboy's wetdream..."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

I think there was a huge PDL / Adaptation rally overall, much more than in the nominations. Just remember that several of PDL's victories were close.

This was actually one of the categories I was especially hoping PDL would win. It's one of those movies, like Requiem For a Dream, where you really remember the sound, cause it's a close part of the movie, not just an accompaniment to special effects. I think with technical awards like this, people really thought about the context. And who can resist talking pudding?

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI think there was a huge PDL / Adaptation rally overall, much more than in the nominations. Just remember that several of PDL's victories were close.

This was actually one of the categories I was especially hoping PDL would win. It's one of those movies, like Requiem For a Dream, where you really remember the sound, cause it's a close part of the movie, not just an accompaniment to special effects. I think with technical awards like this, people really thought about the context. And who can resist talking pudding?

Hmm, your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Jon

Quote from: XixaxUm. OK. Let me get this straight.

PDL had better sound than Attack of the Clones or Lord of the Rings?

Lay off the crack, people!

PDL effected me, sound-wise, a HELL of a lot more than SW:AOTC. Sound adds to the film, obviously, and it added a little to SW, but in PDL, it was a fucking character. I think.

silentasylum

i'd have to agree with the idea that the sound in PDL had a much more affect than attack of the clones, i mean in attack of the clones you had digital effects, space ships flying and shooting what sound is that suppose to produce? give someone a $100 million dollar budget and you'll be amazed at the sounds they can produce.

my vote probably would have gone to road to perdition in this category
J.C. Rangel

RegularKarate

To be honest, I've actually met sound designers who say that the Star Wars prequels are poorly mixed.  This isn't the reason I didn't vote for SW ( I didn't vote for PDL either), but I think the sound In AOC is a tad overbearing and not as impressive as other films out this year.

Duck Sauce

PDL had quarky sounds that were far different than anything I have ever heard,

phil marlowe

The Lord of the Rings sound rocked because it had maories(sp?). Damn those people have their way with their voices.

Xixax

Quote from: RegularKarateTo be honest, I've actually met sound designers who say that the Star Wars prequels are poorly mixed.  This isn't the reason I didn't vote for SW ( I didn't vote for PDL either), but I think the sound In AOC is a tad overbearing and not as impressive as other films out this year.

Oh, come on. When you hear those blasty things they're setting off in the asteriod chase with Jango Fett in surround sound, it's pretty darn awesome. I remember in the theater I was like, "damn!"
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Might have been the theater I saw it in, but I found the sound for the scene when Elizabeth brings Lena by to pick up her car more of a huge distraction than an accompaniment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxWhen you hear those blasty things they're setting off in the asteriod chase with Jango Fett in surround sound, it's pretty darn awesome. I remember in the theater I was like, "damn!"

Yeah, but a lot of SW sounds are recycled from the first movie. And while that's exciting in an extremely nerdy way, I find myself generally disollusioned with the new SW movies, and nothing technical does much to improve them for me.