Todd Field

Started by Myxo, November 09, 2004, 12:33:53 AM

Myxo

Just watched "In the Bedroom" again recently. I checked on IMDB.com and noticed he doesn't have anything going and hasn't since 2001. Kinda curious what he might do next.

Finn

I thought In the Bedroom was probably the best movie of 2001 so I'd be really curious to see if Todd Field does anything else now. I think he's working on two movies that should be out within the next couple of years.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Field takes Universal's 'Creed'
Writer set to adapt Teran novel 'Violence'
Source: Variety

Universal has set Todd Field to adapt "The Creed of Violence," the Boston Teran novel that the studio acquired last fall in a significant pre-emptive deal made when the book was being shopped to publishers.

Michael De Luca has signed on to produce the Western epic.

Field has committed only to write at this point, but he is selective about assignments and rarely scripts projects he doesn't direct. His most recent writing efforts were "Little Children" and "In the Bedroom," and he is also booked to write and direct an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" for producer Scott Rudin.

"Creed of Violence" is the second novel by Teran, the secretive writer who penned the cult-fave tome "God Is a Bullet."

"Creed" takes place in 1910, as two men -- a desperado and a government agent with a secret connection to him -- try to thwart an arms smuggling ring.

The novel will be published by Counterpoint in the fall.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

clerkguy23

Quote from: Myxo on November 09, 2004, 12:33:53 AM
Just watched "In the Bedroom" again recently. I checked on IMDB.com and noticed he doesn't have anything going and hasn't since 2001. Kinda curious what he might do next.

If you havent seen Little Children, you need to check it out. One of my favorite films of 2006.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's working on an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian right now.

Gamblour.

Todd Field is definitely one of my favorite directors. I love how he tackles literature. Little Children is definitely one of my favorite movies, my friends and I love to watch it.
WWPTAD?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: clerkguy23 on June 04, 2009, 02:40:09 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure he's working on an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian right now.

You're right.  I had read that Tommy Lee Jones had the rights and was attempting to get it made for years.  I guess he sold it off to Todd Field and Co. 

MacGuffin

Todd Field's Dry Spell Is Over: 'The Creed of Violence' Likely To Shoot In Early 2013
Source: Playlist

Eight Academy Award nominations after your first two feature films ain't too shabby. For an encore? Crickets. Last year we asked: where in the world is writer/director Todd Field? The actor turned filmmaker has had several projects gestating for several years, but he hasn't made a feature since 2006's well-received "Little Children," which added three Oscar nominations to his total.

Good news has arrived. One of these long-in-development projects, "The Creed of Violence," is moving forward. Cross Creek Pictures and producer Michael DeLuca ("The Social Network," "Moneyball") have come on board to produce and finance the drama, an adaptation of Boston Teran's 2009 novel that takes place during the Mexican Revolution in 1910, while focusing on the American intervention in the war. An early 2013 start date is being eyed.

Can you say finally? Last we heard Leonard DiCaprio was said to be circling the project with keen interest, but hadn't signed on in any definitive manner. Like fellow A-lister Brad Pitt, DiCaprio is pretty choosy and can do a long song and dance courtship without ever proceeding to the marriage, so whether he will officially take part in this project is unknown right now, but seems doubtful (we woulda heard with this announcement, no?).

The story centers on two leads: a small-time assassin and a young Bureau of Investigation agent who are forced to work together to infiltrate the Mexican criminal underground. Once inside they encounter a "snake's nest of thieves, smugglers and professional killers."

Field also has "Hubris" in the works over at Universal. It's a gangster heist tale of retribution and revenge being written by Bobby Moresco, who co-wrote "Crash" with Paul Haggis, centering on the same Chicago gangster set to feature in Michael Mann's also-gestating gangster project "Big Tuna" (though they're very different; we have major details here). There's no word on this project, but kudos to Cross Creek and its producers for finally getting a major talent in front of cameras soon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Todd Field To Co-Write Political Thriller 'As It Happens' With Joan Didion
via The Playlist

Field is teaming up with acclaimed author and essayist Joan Didion to write the political thriller "As It Happens." Jennifer Fox ("The Bourne Legacy," "We Need To Talk About Kevin," "Michael Clayton") will co-produce the project with Field, but it's Didion that truly has us intrigued. While she has dipped her toes into screenwriting, the bulk of it came in the '70s ("The Panic In Needle Park," "A Star Is Born" and an adaptation of her own novel "Play It As It Lays") and her last produced screenplay was 1996's "Up Close And Personal." She's a remarkable, well respected writer and teaming with Field on a movie is a pretty exciting development.

There is no director attached at the moment, but considering Field is yet to write something he hasn't directed, we presume he'll be looking at this for himself.

MacGuffin

Todd Field To Direct Movie Adaptation Of Jess Walter's Bestseller 'Beautiful Ruins'
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

Los Angeles, CA (April 8, 2013) – Filmmaker Todd Field, Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson, co-founders of Cross Creek Pictures, and Patrick Milling Smith and Brian Carmody, co-founders of Smuggler Films, announced today that their companies will team up to produce the film adaptation of Jess Walter's New York Times Best Seller, "Beautiful Ruins." Todd Field and Jess Walter are confirmed to write the screenplay, with Field set to direct. Field will produce the film through Standard Film Company with Cross Creek's Oliver, Thompson, Smuggler Films' Milling Smith and Carmody, Adam Kassan will oversee production for Cross Creek.

The epic story begins in the spring of 1962 off the Ligurian Sea and centers on three young characters whose orbit around one another is set in motion by an incident involving the international jet-set center, Rome, in the throws of "La Dolce Vita" madness during the shooting of Cleopatra, and continues for decades.

In addition to appearing on the New York Times Best Sellers list, "Beautiful Ruins" was named one of the best books of 2012 by Entertainment Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, Amazon, Esquire and National Public Radio.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

spoilers for 10 year old movies

I watched 'In The Bedroom' and 'Little Children' this week and I love those movies so goddamn much. What they seem to share is this looming threat to an otherwise contented suburban existence. Todd Field strikes this perfect tone of what real life horrors would actually feel like as they're unfolding in the moment. It's all very understated, the way he chooses to have his characters react to these events. There's always this lingering uncertainty in the air that things are about to go very wrong for these people, despite how pleasant it all looks on the surface. When it does finally happen, it's almost like you have to do a double take to notice, because he doesn't follow the movie convention of milking the violence for all it's worth. It makes you go "Wait, did the thing I was just watching build up for the entire movie just happen? Why isn't everyone freaking out over it?" There's an extreme precision to how calmly his characters deal with dramatic situations. It makes him one of my favorite directors with just these two films