Best DVD

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 05, 2003, 11:03:50 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Best DVD: THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS  (The Criterion Collection)

THE NOMINEES

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Cut)
Minority Report (SE)
Pulp Fiction (SE)
Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion)
Traffic (Criterion)

RegularKarate

The Anti-Lord of the Rings snobbery brought RT on through

Xixax

Damn shame. Damn shame.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarateThe Anti-Lord of the Rings snobbery brought RT on through

I like Lord of the Rings and all, but the extra half-hour doesn't do it any favors.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Raikus

I'll have to disagree greatly with you there. The additional half hour makes the movie twice as good. You can't steamline a book like that to three hours.

And LOTR had *clears throat* BY FAR the best DVD set put out... ever (with perhaps the exception of Evil Dead: Book of the Dead). The packaging, the extras, the interface--all were just about perfect.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ernie

Quote from: RegularKarateThe Anti-Lord of the Rings snobbery brought RT on through

Those fucking people don't even deserve to live.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: RaikusI'll have to disagree greatly with you there. The additional half hour makes the movie twice as good. You can't steamline a book like that to three hours.

And LOTR had *clears throat* BY FAR the best DVD set put out... ever (with perhaps the exception of Evil Dead: Book of the Dead). The packaging, the extras, the interface--all were just about perfect.

LOTR didnt win because many of us hate the movie and were unable to give credit where its due.

Duck Sauce

sorry, double post, how do you delete these things?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck Saucesorry, double post, how do you delete these things?

I updated the permissions in this forum, so you should be able to use this now.

phil marlowe

The Royal Tenenbaums won because Wes Anderson is trendy among artsy movie snobs and LOTR is not.

SHAFTR

I liked the Pulp Fiction DVD.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

BonBon85

I think people probably forgot that this category was about the DVD, not the actual film. I don't think I voted for this category because I tried to avoid voting on categories where I didn't know enough about the nominees. I've only seen these movies, and haven't explored most of the dvds. Even though it seems like LOTR had a million bonus features and Tenenbaums didn't have all that many, RT won because people like the movie better.

Redlum

Thats bad. Better film - debatable.

Better dvd - impossible.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ernie

Ooook...I'm an artsy movie snob now because I like TRT more than LOTR....wow.

I don't even know how to respond to that...fuckin' hell.

phil marlowe

My post was crude, I can accept that, but I just can't see any good reasons for not voting LOTR. The DVD should be beyond the years best and i hate to see it not getting credit because of the mindless grudge of the LOTR bashers who doesn't like the DVD for lame reasons.

Maybe TRT was a better movie but never a better DVD.