Favorite Coen Bros. Movie?

Started by Satcho9, January 09, 2003, 03:50:07 PM

godardian

I think my favorite is Barton Fink... but I have a soft spot for The Hudsucker Proxy, probably because it's the most maligned of all their stuff, which is too bad because I think it's absolutely hilarious, especially Leigh.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

i/o

I'm extremely impressed with O' Brother and The Man Who Wasn't there. But I think that their best for me will remain Fargo.
Is it just me or do the Coen Brothers make the best movies to see in a theater? It's just a different experience all together, film wise.
"Mime is money"

meatwad

Quote from: i/oI'm extremely impressed with O' Brother and The Man Who Wasn't there. But I think that their best for me will remain Fargo.
Is it just me or do the Coen Brothers make the best movies to see in a theater? It's just a different experience all together, film wise.

could not agree with you more. I saw the Big Lebowski in theaters, and although it is still a great movie, that first experience will never be matched

//www.thestate22.com

USTopGun47

1) Fargo
2) Hudsucker Proxy
3) Miller's Crossing
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i cant decide but i will say that the man who wasnt there blew nuts

since fargo they were on a roll lebowski and o brother were both fucking great

hudsucker was ok kinda not something i want to watch much

Holden Pike

"Nobody knows anyone. Not that well."

1. Miller's Crossing[/b][/size][/color]
GRADE, A++
2. Barton Fink[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A+
3. Raising Arizona[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A
4. The Big Lebowski[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A
5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A
6. The Hudsucker Proxy[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A
7. Fargo[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A-
8. The Man Who Wasn't There[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, A-
9. Blood Simple[/b][/color][/size]
GRADE, B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

chainsmoking insomniac

Goddamn Pikey, that quote fucking rocks!!!!  :P
Just saw Barton last night.
1) Barton Fink
2) Lewbowski
3)Fargo
4)The Man Who Wasn't There
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

abbey road

i'd have to say FARGO, but i pretty much like all the coen's films, except OBWAT, that one just through me, it was to comercial, but it was still good i guess, i also like MWWT, and miller's crossing i thought was preactically stolen from in road to perdition in terms of style.
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

ya see i think obwat is one their best films

it has a lot of heart and it works

hudsucker was meant to look like a capra film but it does not really connect the way it should

but OBWAT works, it does feel like a old film

i love it

modage

so tough for me...

1. RAISING ARIZONA
2. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
3. BARTON FINK
4. THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE
5. FARGO
6. BLOOD SIMPLE
7. MILLERS CROSSING
8. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU
9. HUDSUCKER PROXY

edit: just rewatched all their movies and completely changed list except for top 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02so tough for me...

1. RAISING ARIZONA
2. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
3. FARGO
4. BARTON FINK
5. THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE
6. HUDSUCKER PROXY
7. MILLERS CROSSING
8. BLOOD SIMPLE
9. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU

Your bottom two are the same as my bottom two, but transposed. However, the DVD commentary on Blood Simple is one of the best things the Coens have ever done.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

honestly, the only reason BLOOD SIMPLE is so low, is because i only saw it once and it was 8 or 9 years ago.  i have seen all the other Coens since then but really only have a hazy memory of that one.  i am probably going to get all their movies pretty soon with FARGO coming out in the fall, so i am looking forward to seeing this one again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianYour bottom two are the same as my bottom two, but transposed.

What don't you like about "Blood Simple"?

Quote from: themodernage02honestly, the only reason BLOOD SIMPLE is so low, is because i only saw it once and it was 8 or 9 years ago.

It's time for another viewing...quick.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

Blood Simple is genius. The commentary on it is genius. The Coens are so genius it makes me happy. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Sick Boy

I've read through this thread 3 or 4 times now.  This question hurts my head when I think about it.  But as it stands right now it looks like this:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. O Brother Where Art Thou
3. Raising Arizona
4. Fargo
5. Miller's Crossing
6. Barton Fink
7. Blood Simple
8. The Man Who Wasn't There
9. Hudsucker Proxy

There isn't a single one that I don't like, but if being forced.....