Which movies will we be talking about?

Started by Stefen, April 29, 2004, 07:00:01 AM

soixante

As a teenager, I was fortunate enough to get into films during the golden age of the 70's.  Barry Lyndon, my first Kubrick film, blew my mind and made me aware of a director's style.  In short order, I saw Clockwork and 2001.  I also discovered Altman, with MASH, Nashville and McCabe showing an utterly unique directorial voice.  Then there was Scorsese, with Alice, Taxi and Mean Streets.  I saw all of these films before I turned 15, and they have remained among my favorites, alongside Lenny, Carrie, Deliverance, Easy Rider, Dog Day Afternoon and All the President's Men.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: Pubrickit all sounds pretty typical so far.
Quote from: PubrickKubrick
Yep.
yep, way to ignore the rest of the post.
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pubrickyep, way to ignore the rest of the post.
Well, regardless of everything else you said, to mention Kubrick is just as "typical" as to mention Scorsese or anyone else. Anyway, what's wrong with mentioning the "typical" names? There's a very good reason for them being the ones most often mentioned: they're the ones that most often "hook" upcoming filmmakers and get them addicted to cinema. I mentioned Magnolia for example, not because it's one of my very favourite films [my favourite film of all time wasn't on my list, actually], but because it had a profound effect on me and my filmmaking when I first saw it. My current tastes [and I'm sure it's the same for the others you said were offering merely "typical" lists] are not represented by the list I made, only the source of my desire to make films.

Anyway, I like your other sources of inspiration and find them rather interesting [and the point you made about citing television just as much, if not more, than movies especially], but the fact of the matter is that Kubrick is just as "typical" a response as anyone else's.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

What's your favorite film , Silver Bullet?
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver Bullet, who is actually less annoying on MSNAnyway, I like your other sources of inspiration and find them rather interesting [and the point you made about citing television just as much, if not more, than movies especially], but the fact of the matter is that Kubrick is just as "typical" a response as anyone else's.
i'm not arguing that. i only kept my typical to a minimum.

besides, i even said that it will all change once i can afford criterion titles. so this is pointless. not that it matters, with stefen clearing up what he meant, i guess we will all say the typical underrated stuff that the public never fell for, but will be forced to recognize once young critics grow up and start mentioning them all the time (Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, 'tever).
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: cronopioWhat's your favorite film , Silver Bullet?
Lawrence of Arabia (d. David Lean, 1962)

I love it, of course, and I find it inspiring, but it's never impacted upon me in the practical, "that's-my-style-right-there" kind of way.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: cronopioWhat's your favorite film , Silver Bullet?
Lawrence of Arabia (d. David Lean, 1962)

I love it, of course, and I find it inspiring, but it's never impacted upon me in the practical, "that's-my-style-right-there" kind of way.

Ha, that's funny because today in the morning I was talking about that film and how stupid I felt when I heard about the Superbit Edition.
context, context, context.