name the most obscure movie you have seen

Started by pete, April 19, 2004, 10:06:13 PM

grand theft sparrow

There's a movie that I had seen on cable when I was a kid that I don't know the title of. I thought it was called Terror Vision but when I looked that title up on imdb, it is definitely not the same thing. I think I saw this on the Lifetime channel (don't ask why I was watching Lifetime as a child) sometime in the late 80s. Can anyone help?

This movie, from what I recall, must have been made in the early to mid 80s and it looked like it was shot on video. The idea might have been that it was a bunch of TV shows that came, literally, from hell. No, I'm not thinking of Stay Tuned with John Ritter; this seemed more like it was a "Tales From the Darkside" type of anthology thing.  It might have been a Canadian production as well, maybe even a TV series of some sort?

The one bit that I remember best was a story about a guy who broke a filling in his tooth and goes to some dentist that he finds in the paper.  The dentist fixes his tooth (there was a weird anasthetic sequence involving succubi) and the guy becomes a vampire.  At the end of the segment, you find out that the dentist's name is (this is great) Dr. A. Cula (get it?).

There's another segment, which I could be confusing with something else, that involved a kid who swore that he had a monster in his closet and his parents didn't believe him but the kid's mother wound up getting eaten by the closet monster.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

ono

Well, here's a shot:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0179585/

The power search at IMDb.com can only do so much.  That said, I suggest you concentrate on fiddling around with it.  I was able to find that series of TV shows searching for productions from Canada between 1980 and 1990 with the keyword dentist.  But I doubt it's it.  I also tried looking for titles with Terror or Vision from 80-90, but no luck there, either, at least that I saw.

You really have to know at least one key specific thing about the film for the power search to be of any help.  What would help the most if you were sure if it was a TV production/made-for-TV movie or not.  I tried searching for a character named Dr. A. Cula, but the database didn't find anything.  This means either there was no such character, IMDb.com doesn't have the movie, or this character wasn't credited in any way.

Another example: a while back, I wanted to know what the movie was called where this crazy guy starts killing all these people and surfing around on their corpses.  I searched for adult-rated (R/X/NC-17) animated films, and eventually came across one of the weirdest films I've ever seen, Bill Plympton's I Married a Strange Person!

Yet another example: P was searching for a Spanish Western, and was able to find it with a little help from me and the power search.  So there you go.

grand theft sparrow

That's definitely not it, but I appreciate the help.

I tried almost exactly the same things you suggested and I'm coming up with nothing as well.  I'm just hoping that someone remembers seeing this as well (in particular our Canadian brethren, as I'm so convinced it was a Canadian production, though I don't know why).  

It's almost as if this movie doesn't exist.

doja

I know what film you are referring to. I will try to find the title.

meatball

doja

Vile5

Quotename the most obscure movie you have seen
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
audition
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

matt35mm

I can't quite tell if this was your point, but Audition isn't very obscure.  I know I've heard of it.

Vile5

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Vile5did you watch it?

I did.  Never squirmed so much at a movie as I did at the last 20 minutes.

Vile5

yeah... and it was funny (for me) to see how guys around me were leaving the theater even until the end of the movie

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

hedwig

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

under the paving stones.