Michael Bay Worship Thread

Started by modage, January 24, 2004, 11:56:06 PM

SiliasRuby

Bay To Quit Transformers
18 June 2009 1:00 AM, PDT | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Michael Bay has made his last Transformers movie - the director is set to quit the action franchise because he has "had enough" of making big budget blockbusters.

The filmmaker helmed the original 2007 movie and returned this year with its sequel - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

But Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

And Bay admits that if film bosses give the go ahead for a third Transformers movie, they will have to find a different director.

He adds, "After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world.

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

Quote from: Mikey Bay on June 18, 2009, 11:30:27 AM
"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."

Can't wait to see either the world's shittiest Frat-boy comedy or the world's shiniest Pulp Fiction rip-off.

Stefen

This is going to be a disaster.

*grabs popcorn*
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Michael Bay & Magical Elves Team For Action Adventure Reality Show
By NELLIE ANDREEVA; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: I guarantee you this: something is going to blow up! Action film maestro Michael Bay is making his first foray into unscripted television, partnering with top reality producers Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz of Magical Elves to produce an action-adventure series. One Way Out, which is being pitched to the networks, is described as "a game with no rules." A cross between an extreme Survivor, The Mole and The Amazing Race, the show pits ordinary people from all walks of life against each other.

"For my first television project I wanted to do something that had never been done before, and I believe that One Way Out, Bay said. "Combining unique twists, death-defying challenges, and stunning visuals, we are reinventing the genre, showing just how far people will go when they are stripped of their bare necessities and forced to do whatever it takes to survive."

All players have secret pasts that they must keep hidden, setting the stage for an intense game of trust and betrayal. Additionally, the contestants have to adapt to a new environment every week as they travel the world, building towards what the creators bill as "a climactic showdown where all secrets are exposed and a shocking development revealed."

One Way Out also marks a return to the reality adventure genre for the Magical Elves, best known for their hit cooking series Top Chef on Bravo. Cutforth and Lipsitz, who were also the exec producers on Project Runway when it was on Bravo and are behind a slew of other unscripted series, including Kell on Earth, and the upcoming Work of Art, America's Next Great Restaurant, L Word and Top Chef: Just Deserts, executive produced the 2006 NBC unscripted adventure series Treasure Hunters.

One Way Out will take the reality adventure genre to the next level," Cutforth said. "The no-holds-barred format and the intimidating locations will allow a true primal test of endurance to unfold." Magical Elves and Bay, who is gearing up for production on "Trasformers 3," are repped by WME.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

No wonder we rarely have good noobs, there is a fucking Michael Bay WORSHIP thread. Like Woody Allen said (quoting Groucho Marx I think), I would not want to be in a club that worships Michael Bay.

MacGuffin

Michael Bay will turn the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into aliens for upcoming reboot
"They're going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable," says Bay of his studio's plans for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Source: IFC

If you thought that Michael Bay's treatment of the Transformers' universe was frustrating, wait until you hear what he has planned for the world of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

During the Nickelodeon Upfront presentation in New York last week, Bay spoke briefly about his studio's take on the ol' Heroes in a Half-Shell, which are scheduled to get a big-screen reboot next year. Apparently, the plan is to make the heroes into aliens, and...

Wait, what? Yes, you read that correctly. According to Bay, instead of being mutated turtles (hence the "Mutant" part of their name), the Ninja Turtles will be aliens.

Here's what Bay had to say about the project during his presentation (with the money quote in bold, and the video embedded at the end of this post):

When you see this movie, kids are going to believe one day that these turtles do exist, when we are done with this movie," he said. These turtles are from an alien race, and they're going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable.

The new film is expected to hit theaters in December 2013, with "Wrath of the Titans" director Jonathan Liebesman named as the man behind the camera for the Turtles' reboot just last month. "Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol" screenwriters Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec provided the latest script for the film.

Given the Turtles' origin as a hard-edged, graphic comic book series created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird in the mid-'80s, their evolution into a wildly popular, kid-friendly animated series in 1987 was a bit of a surprise to fans — but Bay's take on the Turtles could present an even bigger shift, if his synopsis rings true for next year's reboot.

If nothing else, it could mean that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will become the Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles — which doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Bay apologizes for 'Armageddon'
Source: EW

It took 15 years, but moviegoers are getting an apology for one of the brashest, outlandish, craptacularly entertaining blockbusters of all time.
Buried in a Miami Herald interview published Sunday about his upcoming film Pain & Gain, director Michael Bay offered a mea culpa for his 1998 hit Armageddon. The discussion was sparked by the interviewer noting that Bay's new film, which stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson as bodybuilders who embark on a crime spree, has atypical editing for the director — the shots are held for longer than a few nanoseconds.

"I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks," Bay says. "It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could. But the studio literally took the movie away from us. It was terrible. My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you're doing all the effects yourself?' But the movie did fine."

Armageddon's rapid production schedule may have been caused by the film facing a creative arms race with another space-object-headed-toward-Earth title, Deep Impact. Deep Impact hit theaters first, but Armageddon still crushed at the box office, grossing $553 million world-wide compared to Deep Impact delivering $349 million, according to Box Office Mojo.

In the same article, Bay defends his spastic 1995 breakthrough hit, Bad Boys. "It's really funny," he says. "People have always given me a hard time on my editing. But if you could do a graph on my movies, you would see how my editing has slowed down over the years. Bad Boys was my first movie, and we cut that quite fast. Back then it was very new for action. Now you see a lot of that imitated. Call it what you will. Yes, critics have given me s–t about it. But when you watch the Bourne Identity movies, they are cut way faster."

To be fair, Armageddon is far from Bay's worst film. The movie isn't subtle, but as popcorn entertainment it's rather bluntly effective (sort of the way a sledge hammer is effective for pushing a thumb tack into a cork board). The film's ending, where Bruce Willis sacrifices himself to save his daughter's fiancee and humanity, had plenty of guys hiding their misty eyes from their dates in the theater.

Now Pearl Harbor is another story. And so is Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. Thankfully, Bay already seemingly apologized for that one.

-------------------------------------

Never mind, Michael Bay does NOT apologize for 'Armageddon'
Source: EW

The Internet has been buzzing about Michael Bay's "apology" for his 1998 blockbuster Armageddon, but the director wants everyone to know that his words were taken out of context and that he is "proud of the movie."

While promoting his new film Pain & Gain, Bay discussed with a Miami Herald reporter the rapid-fire editing technique featured in many of his movies. Near the end of the interview, the paper quotes Bay as saying, "I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks. It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could."

But in a post on his official website today, Bay wrote that the newspaper cut his words in a deceptive way. "[The reporter] has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning," the director said.

Bay goes on to clarify that while he does wish he "had more time to edit the film" before it hit theaters, he is "proud of the movie." Check out Bay's full response below.

"One press writer has gone too far in reporting false information. He has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning. I'm not in the slightest going to apologize for the third movie in my movie career, a film called Armageddon. On the red carpet for Pain & Gain some reporters asked me what are you apologizing for, and I said what on earth are you talking about?

What I clearly said to the reporter, is I wish I had more time to edit the film, specifically the third act. He asked me in effect what would you change if you could in your movies if you could go back. I said, I wish we had a few more weeks in the edit room on Armageddon. And still today Armageddon, is still one of the most shown movies on cable TV. And yes, I'm proud of the movie. Enough said.

Michael"

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

In light of reading a lot of people suddenly getting onboard with Michael Bay, I would just like to point out that I was 9 years ahead of the curve on this one. Also: "Pain & Gain" is pretty good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Hmm really? I keep reading terrible reviews. Is this accurate?

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 27, 2013, 10:43:52 AM
And it's finally revealed what I suspected the whole time, this is going to be as funny as the "comic relief" in Transformers. You can't just put funny people into a movie and have them curse a lot and all of a sudden, it's funny.

This is the kind of movie that I would have liked to have seen played a little more straight. It would probably actually be funny then.

modage

It's hilarious but I don't think Bay does much to aid the comedy, so it's almost funny despite him. The three leads are great (Wahlberg is playing his perfect "naive but enthusiastic idiot" and The Rock has prob never been better, Mackie always solid), the script has some good lines and the story/setting is perfect for his style. That said, it's definitely too long (2 hours 10 minutes, yikes), tone deaf occasionally (scenes that should be snappy and funny, aren't, etc.) and pretty hateful towards people (a Bay trademark). The trailers kinda sell this as a "fun" movie but it's darker than they let on and it's a damn ballsy movie for Bay to make (working at 1/10th of his usual budget) and doing something this dark. I can't not applaud him for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Neil

i remember bad boys 2 being entertaining, but also waaaaay too long. BUT it was one spectacle after another. Ramping through houses, curse words, above ground pools that break and TONS OF SHOOTOUTS. Shit's great. I saw bad boys 2 at the cinema when it came out, so I was probably old enough to know better, but I was entertained. Oops.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pubrick

la critics are fucking idiots.

they probably all talk like you too.
under the paving stones.

Neil

MacGuffin

Michael Bay Attacked By Man Wielding Air Conditioner on 'Transformers' Set
Source: Variety

Michael Bay's movie sets are widely known for their big, explosive action sequences but on Thursday, the filmmaker became the action in a bizarre incident on the set of his latest movie, "Transformers: Age of Extinction."

According to a Paramount spokesman, a man ("allegedly under the influence of narcotics)", stormed on set and swung an air conditioner unit at Bay's head.

Bay, who was not injured, then "ducked and wrested the air conditioner from his attacker, preventing what could have been a serious accident."

Earlier reports suggested the director had been attacked by two brothers in Quarry Bay, where the Mark Wahlberg-starrer is currently shooting, which Paramount strongly denied.

"Contrary to several erroneous news reports made today, Bay did not get hurt in a fight on set," the studio said.

After the man was subdued by Bay, Paramount stated that police scuffled with the air conditioning wielding suspect as well as two other assailants before arresting the three men.

No cast or crew members were injured in the incident.

"Transformers 4," which has been filming for the past four months, hits theaters June 27, 2014.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil