Michael Bay Worship Thread

Started by modage, January 24, 2004, 11:56:06 PM

SoNowThen

As far as action flicks go, The Rock is very good. A lot of it is carried by Cage, I think, still coming off the heat of his Oscar win, and chewing up the material. The whole rocketman scene is good fun.

Hahah, "high-concept cokehead".... classic!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

yes i do think action directing is an art form in itself...i just don't really dig bay, that's all, no biggie.  some people who like the rock here dont dig spielberg's action stuff, but i do.  that's cool, we all see what we see.

MacGuffin

McGregor sets course for 'Island'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Ewan McGregor is headed for "The Island." The British star is in negotiations to topline the DreamWorks sci-fi film, which Michael Bay is set to direct. Originating as a spec script by Caspian Tredwell-Owen, "The Island" follows a "harvested being" who makes a bid to escape the utopian facility where he is being kept. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are on board as screenwriters. Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Ian Bryce are producing with Marc Haimes serving as the studio executive. DreamWorks is heading for a fall start.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hounsou and Buscemi plan 'Island' retreat
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Djimon Hounsou and Steve Buscemi are headed to "The Island" for DreamWorks and Michael Bay. Hounsou, who was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in Jim Sheridan's "In America," will play the head of security for the utopian community where the story takes place. No details were available on the Buscemi role. The film stars Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson in a story penned by Caspian Tredwell-Owen about a harvested being who becomes self-aware and tries to escape the utopia where he is being kept. Johansson plays the only person he can trust and the carrier of the sponsor's child. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci also co-wrote the script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Let's blow this thread up too.

MacGuffin

Bay Settles in MOLLY'S WORLD

Michael Bay has just signed on to helm the psychological thriller Molly's World for New Line Cinema. Bay will direct and produce under his Platinum Dunes banner.

The film is about a psychiatrist who gets involved with a patient who killed her family in an effort to protect them from a supernatural element.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sara Shagal

Michael Bay is one of the worst things to ever happen to cinema...

squints

I miss you more then Michael Bay missed the mark
When he made Pearl Harbor
I miss you more than that movie missed the point
And that's an awful lot girl
And now, now you've gone away
And all I'm trying to say is
Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you

I need u like Ben Affleck needs acting school
He was terrible in that film
I need u like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part
He's way better than Ben Affleck
And now all I can think about is your smile
and that shitty movie too
Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?
I guess Pearl Harbor sucked
Just a little bit more than I miss you

-America, Fuck Yeah!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Quote from: squintsWhy does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

Because his films make money.

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

tell me you've seen Team America...trey parker did with puppets what michael bay does with several million dollars...that could have fed hungry third world countries
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ono

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6518

Mac's point still stands.  Studios don't care about third world countries.  Really.

©brad

he does do some interesting stuff with his camera, and he manages to get good performances out of some actors. just saying.

modage

and The Rock is still a better movie than Team America.  so there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000881/

I believe it says he's producing an "Untitled Texas Chainsaw Massacre Prequel"...there are so many things wrong with that sentance my head just exploded

MacGuffin

Bay On Chainsaw Prequel and Birds
The director talks about remaking Hitchcock.
Source: IGN.FilmForce

Michael Bay has come a long way in just 10 years directing. After his debut feature, Bad Boys, became a runaway success, Bay quickly became synonymous with big budget action. He was soon to be the youngest director ever to pass a billion dollars in total gross for his films.

Now as Bay continues to direct big movies (The Island comes out in July and he may be directing a Transformers movie), he has simultaneously launched a successful production company. Along with Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, Bay's production company has remade two horror, films, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Amityville Horror. Both opened number one at the box office and went on to successful runs.

Bay's company has a number of projects coming down the pipeline, but perhaps the most surprising announcement has been a potential remake of The Birds. At a press day to promote The Island yesterday, press asked Bay about remaking Hitchcock. The director tried to downplay the idea as much as possible, and even his Island leading lady chimed in with some advice.

"I don't even want to talk about The Birds," Bay said, looking a little embarrassed at the idea. "Because that's so far down the line. I have misgivings about even trying to do that, remake that… So I don't really want to even talk about it. There's a lot more other things that I'm doing before that."

"You're remaking The Birds," Johansson chimes in with a questioning smirk. (Laughs)

"Just because I say something doesn't mean it's gonna happen," Bay defends. "You can't believe everything you read, right?"

"You can't remake a Hitchcock movie," Johansson laughs. "You can't. P.S., I'll be starring in it and it will be like a 180 million dollar movie." (Laughs)

"No, no, no," Bay corrects. "I know. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right…"

Before Birds gets off the ground or is eternally shelved, Bay's company has a few other projects ready to go. "They're starting the Texas prequel, called The Origins and then we're doing The Hitcher and we've got two other things at Focus that they're possibly going to start."

Skeleton FilmWorks