Tony Kaye

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 10, 2004, 11:12:49 PM

MacGuffin

ROLE IS MADE FOR DUSTIN
Source: Page Six

DUSTIN Hoffman, a hard-drinking womanizer? Sources say the Oscar winner wants to play Maynard Nottage, a Hollywood publicist from the Roaring '20s who toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and liked his booze and babes. Nottage, who died an outcast from the Hollywood studios in 1965, had been largely for gotten when his granddaughter gave his collected papers to Mark Borkowski, who wrote "The Fame Formula." Director Tony Kaye ("American History X") is said to be interested in adapting the book as a vehicle for Hoff man. "Nottage is very colorful," Borkowski said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tony Kaye: Art! Art! Get your free art!
Source: Los Angeles Times

If you passed by CAA this morning and saw a painting sitting outside the talent agency, it was an original piece of art by Tony Kaye. In fact, you could start your own Kaye art collection just by roaming around town, looking for stray paintings leaning up against the doors and windows of various local art galleries, Disney Hall and the L.A. County Art Museum. It's all part of what Kaye is calling his "Left Lying Around Painting" series, the latest oddball enterprise in the eccentric artist turned movie director's oddball career.

When it comes to artistic loopiness, it's hard to top Kaye, the crazy-like-a-fox filmmaker best known feuding with Edward Norton over the release of 1998's "American History X" (Kaye tried to take his name off the film and substitute the pseudonym "Humpty Dumpty"). Kaye has been out of the mainstream for years, having spent most of his time directing music videos and finishing up "Lake of Fire," a nearly three-hour-long documentary about abortion. He's also recently completed a film with Laurence Fishburne and Stephen Dorff called "Blackwater Transit." It's still waiting for a release.

With deep roots in the British art scene -- one of his good pals is the artist Damien Hirst -- Kaye has gone back to his first love, painting and conceptual art, with the emphasis on concept. (When Charles Saatchi's ad agency refused to pay him for a British Airways ad Kaye had directed -- before he was fired from the account -- Kaye photographed all of his outstanding billing invoices, smuggled them into Saatchi's posh London art gallery and hung them from the wall.) Now he's producing batches of paintings every day, leaving them around town and photographing them. Earlier today he propped up five paintings on a ledge outside the Larry Gagosian Gallery in Beverly Hills.

"I do them really quick, 15-20 minutes at most," he told me today over the phone, having just returned from a jaunt with his pal Mickey Rourke, who's working on a script with him. "They're my Twitter paintings. Just a quick message on a canvas. My wife thinks I'm mad. My plan is to do a thousand of them and leave them in front of galleries, synagogues and mosques, in front of trees and on bus benches, because in L.A., bus benches are the best advertising going."

I had only one question: Why? "It's entertaining -- well, let's say it entertains me," he explains. "I love the idea of leaving the art around, having people stop and stare. They're not graffiti. Their gifts. I suspect in years to come they'll be really valuable because there will be a story behind each one of them. Look, an artist has to be entertaining, even if you have to chop your ear off the way Van Gogh did -- not, mind you, that I'm going to do that."

Kaye says his biggest triumph, so far, is the painting he left at the L.A. County Art Museum. "I think it was the best one," he said with a laugh. "Some of the others, I admit, are pretty awful. I sat on a bench, painted a picture of the devil -- well, a person with horns -- and put it at the entrance and within minutes  someone took it inside. It was great! I mean, I'm sure it's in a dustbin somewhere, but at least now I have a painting inside the L.A. County Art Museum. Not everyone can say that, right?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

seems like there is some serious Tony Kaye hating on this thread.  i always found the whole American history x thing kinda funny and crazy like everyone else, but i never thought he sucked as a film maker.  while i do think he was crazy and stupid to take on the studio like he did, i don't exactly find myself thinking he's a hack.  i'm not surprised no studio wanted to work with him after the whole humpty dumpty thing, and i don't blame them.  it's just that i knew he had a couple good films in him, and he should just get his head fixed or ego checked.

about a year ago i rented "lake of fire" Tony Kaye's black and white documentary about abortion.  rather than just depicting a knee jerk left wing pro choice film or inversely an overly spiritual pro life piece, Kaye really found a mature approach to the material.  he depicts both sides of the debate, with interesting examples of each.

this really is a masterpiece, and criminally underappreciated.  I'm sure it's been talked about it elsewhere on the site, and once again i can't seem to find the thread, but here is a link to the imdb for anyone interested: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0841119/

If you think Kaye is a joke, you should check it out.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevel on July 23, 2009, 01:21:37 PMI'm sure it's been talked about it elsewhere on the site, and once again i can't seem to find the thread

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=9886.0

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

how do you guys find this shit, seriously lol.  every time i use my search bar it says nothing found or database error.
the one last hit that spent you...

Fernando

mac is the Neo of xixax, he knows and sees everything.

MacGuffin

Aramid wins injunction halting film auction
'Black Water Transit' part of David Bergstein's assets
Source: Hollywood Reporter

A day after a local bankruptcy court put David Bergstein's main movie companies under the control of a trustee, another federal court in Los Angeles granted Aramid Entertainment Fund an injunction to stop another entity controlled by Bergstein and his show business partner Ronald Tutor from auctioning off the movie "Black Water Transit."

The U.S. District Court of California issued an order Wednesday for a temporary restraining order to stop TFC Library from selling rights to the crime drama, which stars Laurence Fishburne, Brittany Snow, Stephen Dorff and Aisha Tyler and was directed by Tony Kaye.

Noting that Bergstein's attorneys Tuesday told a bankruptcy judge that a key part of his business is foreclosing on distressed film libraries, Aramid managing director David Molner said, "It would seem the courts are disrupting that business model."

Based on the novel by Carsten Stroud, the movie was long in development and went through several cast changes before it was produced on location in New Orleans early in 2009. Capitol Films financed the $23 million movie and made foreign sales on it.

After it was edited by Kaye, Bergstein apparently was unhappy with what he saw and deemed it unreleasable. Bergstein took legal action against the competition bond company, which settled with him.

The movie was also the subject of a lawsuit in 2008 brought by Ascendant Pictures and its principal Chris Roberts, who charged Bergstein forced him out of the project and did not pay him a producing fee. That suit was settled in January.

According to the TRO filing, the sale was planned for April 1.

An attorney for Bergstein and Tutor did not respond to a call for comment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody attached to 'Detachment'
Thesp joins Tony Kaye-helmed pic
Source: Variety

Adrien Brody is set to topline as a transient high school teacher in Paper Street Films' "Detachment."

Brody will star opposite Marcia Gay Harden, Christina Hendricks, Blythe Danner and James Caan in the pic that depicts three weeks in the lives of high school teachers, administrators and students through the eyes of substitute teacher Henry Barthes, played by Brody. Tony Kaye helms the pic, now lensing in Queens and Long Island.

Paper Street's Austin Stark, Benji Kohn, Chris Papavasiliou and Bingo Gubelmann are producing, with Greg Shapiro and Peter Sterling as exec producers.

ICM packaged the pic and is handling North American rights.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: Variety
Adrien Brody attached to 'Detachment'

My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Tony Kaye To Direct Thriller 'Attachment'
Source: Playlist

We've said it before, but the post-"American History X" career of director Tony Kaye has been bumpy at best. Not counting the turmoil he went through on the Edward Norton movie, his next films were either ignored ("Lake Of Fire"), stuck in legal limbo ("Black Water Transit") or crucified by critics (his recent high school drama "Detachment"). So who knows what might befall his effort.

Kaye is now set to take on "Attachment," a thriller penned by actor Christopher Denham (who wrote and directed the POV horror flick "Home Movie"). We have to say, the premise sounds pretty rote if not somewhat teen soapy. The story will center on a married woman who has a one night stand with a student, but things get out of hand when he returns, dates her daughter and begins stalking her. We've seen variations on this kind of thing plenty of times before but Kaye is certainly never predictable and we'd guess there's more going on here than meets the eye. At least we hope.

No word yet on who will star, but Kaye still carries some cachet as he was able to round up folks like Adrien Brody, Christina Hendricks, James Caan, Marcia Gay Harden, Blythe Danner, Tim Blake Nelson and Bryan Cranston for "Detachment." It will be interesting to see who he gathers up for this effort that is aiming to go in front of cameras next spring.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Haha he's just trollin' now with these titles.

under the paving stones.