How did "Magnolia" not get a Best Picture nod

Started by kassius, January 10, 2004, 03:36:10 PM

pete

you don't find that whole drawing a dot on the arm for gun sequence in anyway similar to drawing a dot on uma thurman for the big needle?  Or those "casual" conversations filled with pop references--and how it opens and close in the diner, much like pulp fiction?
I don't think it's just stealing the structure when the entire chronological order of Go--including the time frame in both dates and story terms, are nearly identical.  I don't think Go would've been made if it weren't for Pulp Fiction.

or, hey, check out this review:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1999/04/040904.html
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

awww, somewhere in this archive there's John August talking about how Go couldn't exist if it wasn't for Pulp Fiction.

http://www.imdb.com/Indie/Ask/archive.html
context, context, context.

Gamblour.

Thanks for that link pete. Roger Ebert sums it up nicely:

"When his characters deliberately create a flesh wound with a gunshot, for example, the setup and payoff remind us of the needle plunging into the heart in ``Pulp Fiction'' (and of the deliberate blade wound in ``GRIDlock'd''). And when two of his characters sit in a diner and have a conversation about the comic strip ``Family Circus,'' we think of the Uma Thurman and John Travolta sharing pop lore over their milkshakes in ``P.F.'' We're also reminded of ``Pulp'' in scenes involving a laconic drug dealer, a crisis involving body disposal, an unintended drug overdose, in the way its story lines branch off and then join up again, and even in an unusual character name, Zack."
WWPTAD?

Myxo

I have a better question.

How did Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption for Best Film of the Year in 1994.

Of the three films, Gump would be my third choice.

modage

Quote from: halo_onHow did Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption for Best Film of the Year in 1994.
it had a wider appeal, and was a pretty damn good movie too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: halo_onHow did Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption for Best Film of the Year in 1994.
it had a wider appeal, and was a pretty damn good movie too.

and let's not forget the fact that the Academy it nuts about roles that involve a disability. good night.
context, context, context.

Sleuth

Everyone always gets onto them about that, but it makes sense.  A respected actor dropping the ego and doing something different.  Good for them
I like to hug dogs

Sleepless

Quote from: soixanteIf nothing else, Oscar gives an incentive to make movies that aren't aimed at teenagers.

Here, here.

By the way, would I get lynched for saying my favourite 'teen' film of the 90s was Cruel Intentions.

What the xixax top five of 1999 *might* have been:

Magnolia
American Beauty
Fight Club
Eyes Wide Shut
Three Kings

Does that satisfy everybody? Anybody...?

Oh, and I know it was released 2000, but Wonder Boys was an awesome film. Insidently my 2 all time greatest films to watch very late at night when I'm suffering from Insomnia are Fight Club and Wonder Boys. They're both great. Even if you don't like them.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

cine

Quote from: SleeplessBy the way, would I get lynched for saying my favourite 'teen' film of the 90s was Cruel Intentions.
I doubt it. There's a good number of people around here that really liked that film. And as a sidenote, maybe P would heighten your status closer to 'credibility'...

Myxo

Quote from: soixanteWhat the xixax top five of 1999 *might* have been:

Magnolia
American Beauty
Fight Club
Eyes Wide Shut
Three Kings

Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
The Matrix
American Beauty
Run Lola Run
Arlington Road
The Sixth Sense

Gamblour.

Quote from: halo_on
Quote from: soixanteWhat the xixax top five of 1999 *might* have been:

Magnolia
American Beauty
Fight Club
Eyes Wide Shut
Three Kings

Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
The Matrix
American Beauty
Run Lola Run
Arlington Road
The Sixth Sense

Top 5?

soixante got it right.
WWPTAD?

cine

Uh, no, you can replace either Three Kings or American Beauty with Being John Malkovich. That would have been the top five.

Sleepless

It was me, I only quoted soixante. I really wasn't that fussed on Being John Malkovich, but I guess you can swap it for Three Kings, this being a democracy and all.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

keep three kings but get rid of fight club

Pubrick

under the paving stones.