The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

modage

Quote from: WalrusJust like we did with the Dekapenticon, we should do that for different decades of film like... 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s... I feel like the Dekapenticon was a little too comprehensive and overlooked a bunch of movies, due to how overwhelming the "movies of all time" was to compile.

Though I don't know if the people who usually tally and count them up would want to, and I'm not trying to put something on them, I just think it would be cool.  We could start out with 60's, go through that and get those top 10 of the 60's or something, then more on the the 70's, etc.

Whaddya think?
plus, its arbitrary starting at the 60's, since none of us were probably born before the 70's anyways.  why not start at in the 50's? or 40's?  or the 20's?  the reason is because not enough of us have seen enough movies from the decades before we were born yet. and the only things that would be on those lists would (for the most part) be regurgitated from other lists and reassembled.  citizen kane, 8 1/2 etc.  its hard enough for most people to have a good knowledge about what came out 10 years ago, let alone 10 decades ago.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It was said earlier in the thread that favorites wouldn't change much over a year, and I don't know about everyone else, but I wonder how another Dekapenticon would turn out since my favorites from then have changed quite a bit.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

The board is jumping with more enthusiasm for movies. This should happen. Xixax can pull this off well.

Brazoliange

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 08, 2005, 02:51:31 PM
The board is jumping with more enthusiasm for movies. This should happen. Xixax can pull this off well.

I second the motion.
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

Brazoliange supporting something is actually a point against.
under the paving stones.

JG

Lets do the top 15 movies of the last 15 years. 

SHAFTR

Quote from: JimmyGator on November 08, 2005, 08:55:39 PM
Lets do the top 15 movies of the last 15 years. 

or top 5 movies of each of the last 4 decades.
60s, 70, 80s & 90s.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

the top 1 movie of the last 1 minute. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Let's disqualify PTA movies in the voting.

modage

that'd be like disqualifying Jesus as Best Son of God.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SHAFTR on November 08, 2005, 09:04:52 PM
60s, 70, 80s & 90s.

I agree.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: w a l r u s on November 08, 2005, 10:58:09 PM
Quote from: SHAFTR on November 08, 2005, 09:04:52 PM
60s, 70, 80s & 90s.

I agree.

I actually like the idea, but c'mon, we could dig for a top ten in each decade. People would be allow to nominate ten and since everyone will be picking different films, a top 15 of the most selected films will be accumulated for final vote and people pick their 5 favorite, in order.

I still rather the original idea. We can keep with the trend to see how taste has progressed on the board.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I figured we could run the decades to try something newer to see a wider spread of movies just as a contingency plan so that we don't end up with the same list as last time.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: w a l r u s on November 08, 2005, 11:12:20 PM
I figured we could run the decades to try something newer to see a wider spread of movies just as a contingency plan so that we don't end up with the same list as last time.

Yea, I kinda worry we would just have the same list as before, too. OK, Shaftr's idea fully endorsed. I also think we could include every decade, starting with 1920s. I'm sure people could vote that well. And a top 5 for this new decade.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Now there's an idea!

Though, to be honest, I think 20's-50's might be tricky... for me, at least. I know I've seen movies in that time frame, but it won't be as easy as something like the 80's, 90's or 00's.