TOP TEN - 2003!!!!!

Started by bonanzataz, December 28, 2003, 07:15:25 PM

Ernie

Only the ones I really really LOVED (no order).....

-The School of Rock
-Kill Bill: Volume 1
-All the Real Girls
-Lost in Translation
-Elf
-Bad Santa
-Finding Nemo

I still have yet to see "Big Fish" and "Elephant" so this isn't really final till I see them, they better be good too. Um, I don't really know to say, I guess this year was better than last year....it was I thinnk....it was definitely a hell of a lot better than 2001 which was just awful, I can say that for sure. I have more faith in next year too with Wes Anderson and DGG and David O. Russell and Scorsese and all them coming back, it should be awesome.

modage

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02this year i can barely find a dozen movie that i really really liked.
Try the arthouse.
shit, believe me i tried.  irreversible blew, spider blew, spun blew, mighty wind was okay, northfork blew HARD, dirty pretty things blew, american splendor was okay, singing detective blew, bubba ho tep was okay, and elephant was okay.  the rest are on my list.

Quote from: ebeamanit was definitely a hell of a lot better than 2001 which was just awful, I can say that for sure.

i'm sorry to keep trying to refuse these statements, but i just cannot see where you are coming from on this.  you only have 6 movies you really liked for this whole freaking year, and you cant tell me looking at my list from 2001 you cant find atleast 6 flicks that were as good?!? i think you're all crazy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i think i know what the problem is. that list u gave, of the movies of the year, the best ones always come out for a day at the end of the year and then get released wide the next year. also., not everyone goes to see every movie that comes out., so they discover them on dvd a year late. at the end of this year i think we'll hav a good enuff list of what really came out in 2003, and what was OK, what was GREAT. and what was GOOD. the list u gave of other years were just full of good movies. lilo and stitch? come on. if u don't hav kids u'll never think of that again.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: ebeamanit was definitely a hell of a lot better than 2001 which was just awful, I can say that for sure.

2001 saw Mulholland Drive- my personal top candidate for best film so far (SO FAR only) of the decade. Also, Royal Tenenbaums. Just off the top of my head.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

nix

2001 (a brief summary of the great movies released in a so called awful year)

Memento
Amores Perros
Chopper
The Princess and the Warrior
Ghost World
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Mulholland Drive
Waking Life
The Man Who Wasn't There
Amilie
Sidewalks of New York
Vanilla Sky
LOTR: Fellowship
The Royal Tennenbaums
In the Bedroom
Donnie Darko
Monster's Ball

It's not quite 1999, but goddamn. These are some pretty good flicks.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Pubrick

jesus christ no one said it's awful.

u know what, since every year is so great, why do ppl complain. let's all agree that every year is the best year for movies ever, except 2003 cos it was the first time anyone tried to officially claim it.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pjesus christ no one said it's awful.
ebeaman did.

Quote from: Pu know what, since every year is so great, why do ppl complain. let's all agree that every year is the best year for movies ever, except 2003 cos it was the first time anyone tried to officially claim it.
2000 blew too.  a handful of great movies, but not nearly as many as the year previous, or the two years that followed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

If I may pound the shit out of a dead horse...

2003 the only year since 99 I can honestly say there were 4+ masterpieces.

2000 ate greasy old man ass.
2001 was okay.
2002 was salvaged for me by Gangs Of New York (and to a lesser degree, Comedian).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThen2000 ate greasy old man ass.

Compared to 1999... but what about Dancer in the Dark, Requiem for a Dream, Traffic, The Virgin Suicides, and Unbreakable?

SoNowThen

Liked Requiem, loved Virgin.

Traffic's gotta be one of the most overrated films in a looooooooong time...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThen
2002 was salvaged for me by Gangs Of New York (and to a lesser degree, Comedian).

But not PDL?

With this post I will cease arguing about one year's superiority. I think we can all agree that there are great films every year, some more than others, but in the end I don't care about the year at all -- only the films, which if they are great are timeless and transcend any pointless arguments bound to a temporal plane.

godardian

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: SoNowThen

But not PDL?

With this post I will cease arguing about one year's superiority. I think we can all agree that there are great films every year, some more than others, but in the end I don't care about the year at all -- only the films, which if they are great are timeless and transcend any pointless arguments bound to a temporal plane.

I completely agree with this. Our culture is so addicted to listmaking and quantifying and summarizing and generalizing... it's getting to be a bit much. There really isn't some magical cutoff on 12/31 of any year, or at the last year of any decade. Those kinds of divisions are just convenient ways for our brains to organize things, nothing more.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

Quote from: SoNowThenLiked Requiem, loved Virgin.

Traffic's gotta be one of the most overrated films in a looooooooong time...

whoa whoa whoa whoa. stop right there. traffic is amazing. traffic kicks everybody's ass. that's just a genuinely great movie. it deserves every bit of praise it gets. how dare you try to argue that.

performances are stunning. the color scheme techniques were innovative while enhancing the story. it addresses an important issue in our society (several, actually). definitely the best film of that year. better than gladiator.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenTraffic's gotta be one of the most overrated films in a looooooooong time...

Why? I'm honestly interested. Not like when GT gives a bad review.

I'm with taz on this one.
A truly amazing film. There are nothing bad about it. No obvious SFX, great performances from everyone, entertaing story yet important in this day 'n age.

MacGuffin

In order of their bestness:

1. The thread for 2003's films
2. The thread for 2002's films
3. The thread for 2000's films
4. The thread for 2001's films
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks