dave depraved cronenberg

Started by Cecil, February 10, 2003, 07:23:04 PM

Cecil

someone i dont think we even talked about at the old board. whos a big fan of his work?

spider is comming next month to my mtl. when will you guys get to see it?

Ghostboy

'Spider' is awesome. Totally different than anything he's done before, but it's really fascinating. Ralph Fiennes is pretty stunning, especially considering it's mostly a dialogue free role. I think it's probably my favorite Cronenberg film after Naked Lunch and Dead Ringers.

I think it opens at the beginning of March here in Dallas...

RegularKarate

Pwaybloe

bonanzataz

Dead Ringers. What a crazy fucking movie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

after seeing that movie, i was like "oh, i so wanna be a gynecologist!" and have a twin for that matter.

some day im gonna have to make myself similar tools to operate on mutant women.

Henry Krinkle

Cronenberg is in my top 5 favourite filmmakers - i love his work.

The ultimate Cronenberg flick to see IMO and by far his masterpiece is VIDEODROME - check this out!  

Brilliant and light years ahead of it's time - probally the most Cronenbergian of all his films, it is filled with all of his themes and trademarks.  "Long live the New Flesh"

VIDEODROME - 1982
with James Woods and Debbie Harry.

bonanzataz

I saw 5 seconds of videodrome and it freaked the shit out of me.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Cecil

Quote from: bonanzatazI saw 5 seconds of videodrome and it freaked the shit out of me.

you mean you stopped watching it?

bonanzataz

it was 3 in the morning and it was playing on sci fi channel or something. couldn't deal with commercials that late.

Henry Krinkle

Here is the Cronenberg filmography.  All of them are available on VHS, a few are tough to track down.  Some are on DVD.  

STEREO - 1969 (Student film) - bootleg versions are out there - but tough to track down.
CRIMES OF THE FUTURE - 1970 (Student film) - included on the Criterion Dead Ringers Laser Disk but NOT on the Criterion DVD version - easy to find bootleg versions.

SHIVERS aka: They Came From Within - 1975
RABID - 1977
FAST COMPANY - 1979 (race car movie!) - this movie had a screwed up distribution and was barely even released in the theatres, mostly seen at Drive-Ins.  There were a couple of VHS releases but impossible to find.
THE BROOD - 1979
SCANNERS - 1981
VIDEODROME - 1982
THE DEAD ZONE - 1983
THE FLY - 1986
DEAD RINGERS - 1988
NAKED LUNCH - 1991
M. BUTTERFLY - 1993
CRASH - 1996
eXistenZ - 1999
SPIDER - 2003

Check out all of them - although, i hate to say it - you really don't need to see Fast Company or M. Butterfly - trust me - neither look, feel or deal with anything Cronenberg.  They were both semi-sell out films.

Fast Company was a straight up explotation movie - although Cronenberg himself is a race car junkie.  

M. Butterfly in a way has a Croneberg-like sexual idea to it - but it looks, feels and otherwise has nothing Cronenberg about it.  I think the producers had been trying to make that movie for years and it sounds like Cronenberg got a phat pay check to make the film so he finally took it on.

Cecil

Quote from: Henry KrinkleI think the producers had been trying to make that movie for years and it sounds like Cronenberg got a phat pay check to make the film so he finally took it on.

them are serious accusations there, boy

Henry Krinkle

IMO M. Butterfly is an okay movie, it's fine, the photography is nice and of course it's well directed.  However, i really do feel it was a sell-out in the way that it doesn't jive in Cronenberg's filmography.  The movie was based on a Broadway play!  It TRULY isn't a Cronenberg film the way that his previous films had the obvious Cronenberg stamp.

The only Cronenberg stamp or trademark the film has going for it is the idea itself - a man posing as a women.  

Cronenberg is constantly fucking with gender and sexuality - this goes back to Crimes of the Future where a grown man is reborn into the body of a little girl.  In Videodrome, Max Renn's hole in his stomach is not hallucinatory wound - it IS a hallucinatory vagina!  In fact, the original script had Debbie Harry with a hallucintory dick on her stomach!  

M. Butterfly is really melodramatic at times and has that typical contrived grand feel of an "epic" film due to it's setting.  This is nothing like Cronenberg IMO.  It's like someone else made that movie and used Cronenberg's name.

However - what the film did prove was that Cronenberg could make a different type of movie - without resorting to the trademarks of his previous films.  But i felt he already did that with THE DEAD ZONE which still managed to feel 100% like a Cronenberg film - and i think The Dead Zone is great movie, maybe one of his best.

MacGuffin

TV Guide indicates Director David Cronenberg ("The Fly") will guest star as a scientist who employs a radical therapy to try to help Sydney (Jennifer Garner) regain her missing memories.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks