Whats New with this dude? (Richard Kelly)

Started by danniedorko, January 08, 2003, 02:04:29 PM

MacGuffin

According to Variety, Writer-director Richard Kelly, who made his feature debut with indie pic "Donnie Darko," has written and will direct the comedy-musical thriller "Southland Tales." Pic takes place in 2008 during a three-day Los Angeles heat wave leading up to a massive July 4 holiday celebration. Seann William Scott is in negotiations to star in the project, set to begin shooting in July. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jason Lee, Janeane Garofalo, Tim Blake Nelson, Amy Poehler, Kevin Smith and Ali Larter are also in negotiations to join the cast.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to Variety, Writer-director Richard Kelly, who made his feature debut with indie pic "Donnie Darko," has written and will direct the comedy-musical thriller "Southland Tales."

Someone just came.
Si

Banky

yeah this sounds really good

wait whos in negotiaions to star?

hahahaha

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Donnie Darko Director's Cut
Exclusive Interview With Richard Kelly
Source: Empire Online

Fans rejoice, because cult hit Donnie Darko will be returning to cinemas this year as an extended Director's Cut. Containing all-new footage, a re-mixed audio track and brand new visual effects, the new edit is being heralded as an all-new theatrical experience and we spoke to writer/director Richard Kelly to get the full story.

Whose idea was it to re-cut the film for a second release?
Well, I was in New York doing a Q&A at one of the midnight screenings last summer and Bob Berney from Newmarket was there. He came up to me afterwards and said 'Richard, we might want to think about re-releasing it.' I said 'well, if we're going to do it, why not let me do a new version of it and give people a real reason to come back to the theatre and see it again.'

They knew how much additional footage there was and they gave me the autonomy to finish the film how I'd always intended to finish it. This in no way negates the first theatrical cut though, I'm not dismissing it in any way; it's just a way for me to expand my vision for the film and give a more thorough version of it. It's letting me complete the sequences we didn't have the money to complete and put in additional plot music that we'd always wanted to put into the film but couldn't afford.

My original vision was always a kind of epic science fiction tale but it had to be condensed to come in under two hours. Ultimately I found it impossible to fully communicate the story in under two hours but now I don't have a restriction on running time, hopefully audiences will be able to re-experience the film in a completely new way. With the new visual effects and new sound design I think it's something the fans will want to see on the big screen.

Some of the new material was on the DVD release but you're adding footage that you originally held back. Did you always have a Director's Cut in mind?
When I made the DVD the first time around I knew that it was going to be a compromised DVD at best - in terms of the packaging. On the first Region 1 DVD I did finagle my way in with the programmers though and we worked with means well beyond our budget 'cause they were fans of the film. But in the back of my mind I did think that maybe one day I'd get to do a director's cut so I saved some stuff that would be a real surprise for people. In hindsight I'm glad that I did as this material is stuff that even people who've seen the DVD thirty times will still be surprised by.

Can you give us any specifics on the new material?
I kind of want to leave it as a surprise but I will say that this it will be worth the price of admission - it's not trying to cash-in on the fan-base, it's a wholly new theatrical experience. It will expand the meaning of the film and offer more clues and more solutions to the puzzle and create an additional layer of mystery for the audience. There really is a tremendous amount of new material - some of which will surprise even the most die-hard fans. One thing I am really excited about is the new sound. I was really unhappy with the mix that we had in the first cut. We never really had time to go in properly and design the sound. We can go back and really get it right this time. I'm very excited about the new sonic elements of the film.

How about the soundtrack, will we see some more classic eighties numbers?
There are gonna be some pop music surprises but I don't want to spoil anything. It's all good though - I'm not a fool, I haven't gone in there and botched the things that people love. Donnie does not shoot first - I'm not pulling a Greedo.

Will we get to see a UK release of the Director's cut?
Absolutely. Metrodome was really wonderful and helped contribute to some of our music budget. They were very aggressive about wanting to get the film back in UK cinemas. As to when, I think that's up to Metrodome but I would anticipate before the end of the year. They did well in the Fall of 2002 so that's pretty likely.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

This guy I like. I'm glad he got to go back in and finalize his film. I will shell out the extra bucks to see it again.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

Quote from: SoNowThenThis guy I like. I'm glad he got to go back in and finalize his film. I will shell out the extra bucks to see it again.

me too....i like the movie a lot and i'm interested to see what he adds to it.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

yeah i think that interview sold me.  "I'm not pulling a Greedo".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tictacbk

Donnie Darko really didn't live up to my expectations...but for some reason this interview has made me want to give it a second chance.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: TictacbkDonnie Darko really didn't live up to my expectations...but for some reason this interview has made me want to give it a second chance.

It's an amazing film. I love to get lost in it...  :)
Si

Chest Rockwell

I dunno if it was 'amazing' but it was good, sure. I never understood why people always said: "Unhh...it's so confusing I can sit and watch it like 30 times and still find little clues." It's more complicated than your average film, but its not THAT complicated (certainly no Mulholland Dr.)

modage

Quote from: TictacbkDonnie Darko really didn't live up to my expectations...but for some reason this interview has made me want to give it a second chance.
why did you have an expectation?  it was a little no-budget film from a first time director who before it was a nobody?

chest, i think its a little unfair to compare this to mulholland drive.  mulholland drive was a pilot with tons of unfinished threads that were being sewn for a potential series and often david lynch does things without a reason that could be interpted 100 different ways as clues, when sometimes they dont mean anything more than what they are.  donnie darko is a story that is self-contained and can be understood  because it was meant to be, not because its not complex enough.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: themodernage02chest, i think its a little unfair to compare this to mulholland drive.  mulholland drive was a pilot with tons of unfinished threads that were being sewn for a potential series and often david lynch does things without a reason that could be interpted 100 different ways as clues, when sometimes they dont mean anything more than what they are.  donnie darko is a story that is self-contained and can be understood  because it was meant to be, not because its not complex enough.
You're probably right. This is one of those movies that I'm a little harder on because I hate the people that like it. It's not very fair of me, but those people irritate me so much. I also hate the whole thing with highschoolers these days where it's so "hip" to be a Tarantinian. Except that his are films leave a much grander impression on my mind so it doesn't reflect negatively on the films themselves. Either way, Donnie Darko was good, not great. I'd say it was a rather impressive first film, though.

Tictacbk

Quote from: themodernage02
why did you have an expectation?  it was a little no-budget film from a first time director who before it was a nobody?

I didn't see it when it first came out and then when it was released on dvd a bunch of my friends saw it at different times and said like "this is my favorite movie ever." or "Its a movie you'll really like."   So I finally decided to see it.  Thats where my high expectations came from.