Whats New with this dude? (Richard Kelly)

Started by danniedorko, January 08, 2003, 02:04:29 PM

Redlum

Quote from: sphinxkelly's next official project was supposed to be 'knowing', based on a script he rewrote.  he's supposed to be directing it too, but i think it's sort of fallen between the cracks.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=14462
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Xixax

Great article, but man AICN needs some serious help with their site design. That site is some serious suck.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pwaybloe

Quote from: XixaxGreat article, but man AICN needs some serious help with their site design. That site is some serious suck.

Harry Knowles says: I will eat you, Xixax!  

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: XixaxGreat article, but man AICN needs some serious help with their site design. That site is some serious suck.

Harry Knowles says: I will eat you, Xixax!  

Its hard to imagine that he is real. AICN is a terrible site design wise.

Xixax

I like seeing pictures of people like that.

It makes me feel much better about my looks.

In the same room with that guy, I'm a freakin' HOTTIE.

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

What a dapper gent.

Is that YOUR Star Trek Pinball machine?  You pose with it like someone would thier car.

MacGuffin

Quote from: PawbloeHarry Knowles says: I will eat you, Xixax!  
...as an appetizer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: Xixax

MW, I didn't know you and screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (Usual Suspects, Way Of The Gun) were brothers.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

Quote from: RegularKarateWhat a dapper gent.

Is that YOUR Star Trek Pinball machine?  You pose with it like someone would thier car.
Nope, not that one. I was looking at it, and the Theater of Magic right behind it but didn't nibble on either one that day.

I do, however, own a Bally Revenge from Mars, a Bally Cirqus Voltaire ("I am the Ringmaster!"), and a classic Stern Trident, along with a couple of little known but sentimental video games. No pics of me posing with them though...

My TN license plate: "PINBALL"

8)
[/size]

Xixax

Quote from: MacGuffin
MW, I didn't know you and screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (Usual Suspects, Way Of The Gun) were brothers.
Put about 75 pounds on him and then maybe we might favor - sort of...
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Harry Knowles was one of Ebert's transition sidekicks... anyone have audio or video of that show?

Xixax

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHarry Knowles was one of Ebert's transition sidekicks... anyone have audio or video of that show?
Oh, man. Now that you mention it, I have seen him on there. You're right.

Dude's a tool.
[/size]

Sigur Rós

Quote from: bonanzatazI'm sorry, I really enjoyed Donnie Darko, but at times the dialogue seemed amateurish and cliched. Occassionally, it made me cringe. It reminded me of how I used to write in 9th Grade. It was a wonderful idea, but definitely could have benefitted from a rewrite.

I agree with you. Feel the same way!

Xixax

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: bonanzatazI'm sorry, I really enjoyed Donnie Darko, but at times the dialogue seemed amateurish and cliched. Occassionally, it made me cringe. It reminded me of how I used to write in 9th Grade. It was a wonderful idea, but definitely could have benefitted from a rewrite.

I agree with you. Feel the same way!
Well, you guys are missing the fact that TO A POINT the dialogue was supposed to be a touch campy and hokey like that. It was intentional. In the commentary, Richard comments on how the whole feel of the movie was to be a little bit "comic bookish". In fact, Jena Malone's character alludes to that when she teases Donnie about his name. She says something about it sounding like a superhero's name.

So that dialogue that's a little juvenile, in my opinion, was intentionally juvenile.

When you mix that very subtle overtone with stuff like the Smurf and Smurfette scene dialogue (which is one of the most brilliant dialogue moments I've encountered since Pulp Fiction), you've got real talent.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. I'd venture to say that he's one of my favorite filmmakers, even though he's only done one movie. There's no question in my mind that his future works will be phenomenal.
[/size]

bonanzataz

Xixax, I do like the movie, but I feel like after the first three viewings it loses something. First I'm watching it for the first time and I'm paying attention to the story, then I watch it again looking for what it all means, third time I'm focusing on the aesthetics. When I watched it again, it all seemed kind of like it was trying to do something special. The more and more I watch it it feels like he was trying to do something so special and cool, like he wanted people to ponder it over for weeks and say, that Kelly dude is a genius! But little things (like the Smurfette dialogue) seem out of place in the movie. Like it's TRYING to be clever. It's not a BAD film, by any means. I just feel that it doesn't connect with me. I'm the same age as these characters, and while I can relate to SOME of the things in the movie, I just feel like nobody I know talks like this. Nobody I know meets some chick and then decides to "go steady" with her after talking to her for 5 minutes, and I doubt that after those 5 minutes I would reveal my mental problems to this same girl. Also, I've been seeing a lot of Jake Gyllenhall movies lately and he's starting to get on my nerves. Sorry for anybody that LOVES this film - I used to REALLY love this film until I watched it and got to thinking. Now I only like it because the more I watch, the more the flaws are noticable.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls