Whats New with this dude? (Richard Kelly)

Started by danniedorko, January 08, 2003, 02:04:29 PM

danniedorko

hey glad to see the board for PTA is back along with a few other TOP NOTCH directors. Hey anyone know whats new with Mr. Kelly? He's got to be working on something right? Anyone...
[/img]

Xixax

I recently heard some very vague word-of-mouth that he was writing his next script, and it again had something to do with time travel.

I can't wait to see his new stuff.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Dirk

Kelly is working on the film called "Knowing". He's set to direct and is doing the rewrite of the script. Check it out for more info: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808404782
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Redlum

Last thing I heard he was working on a project for/with James Cameron, set in a snowy location.

...http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14099
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bonanzataz

I'm sorry, I really enjoyed Donnie Darko, but at times the dialogue seemed amateurish and cliched. Occassionally, it made me cringe. It reminded me of how I used to write in 9th Grade. It was a wonderful idea, but definitely could have benefitted from a rewrite.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jontomosicz

Quote from: bonanzatazat times the dialogue seemed amateurish and cliched. Occassionally, it made me cringe.

That was my impression also...especially Drew Barrymore's dialogue...I remember her whole performance being pretty bad.  I liked the idea of the movie, but I didn't really get into it.  I want to give it a second chance after hearing how much other people loved it.

TenseAndSober

I LIKE HOW RICHARD KELLEY USED JOY DIVISION (LOVE WILL TEAR US APART) IN THE MOVIE...I LOVE WHEN DIRECTOR USE COOL POP SONGS IN THEIR FILMS....SPEAKING OF WHICH...  WHAT ABOUT ROMAN COPPOLA?

budgie

Quote from: bonanzatazI'm sorry, I really enjoyed Donnie Darko, but at times the dialogue seemed amateurish and cliched. Occassionally, it made me cringe. It reminded me of how I used to write in 9th Grade. It was a wonderful idea, but definitely could have benefitted from a rewrite.

But I think that was what was so good, the way the movie really seemed to speak from the point of view of a teenager, and since it suggested dream/fiction it would be appropriate to not be quite a thirty year old's view/mode of expression, but to use cliche and '9th Grade' level language and ideas. I do think it was intentional, because overall the film worked that line between sophisticated/adult and simplistic/immature (implying that the two couldn't really be separated for either the adults -eg Barrymore - or the teenagers) and Donnie's character and the tone of the film were convincing and charismatic because of it.

Xixax

Quote from: TenseAndSoberI LIKE HOW RICHARD KELLEY USED JOY DIVISION (LOVE WILL TEAR US APART) IN THE MOVIE...I LOVE WHEN DIRECTOR USE COOL POP SONGS IN THEIR FILMS
True, true, true! Donnie Darko had such a great use of music. I've always considered "Under the Milky Way" to be a haunting song, but the movie made it even cooler.

There are lots of great examples like this. PTA of course is great at picking music to go with his film.

And while I'm thinking about it, how many of you were duped into "DYING to see that movie!!!" when the Volkswagen "Mr. Blue Sky" commercial aired in theaters this summer???
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jake_82

speaking of the Mr. Blue Sky commercial, I thought it was kind of cheap that it got ripped off by those new Adaptation commercials with the same song
your reality is at the end of your dream

sphinx

kelly's next official project was supposed to be 'knowing', based on a script he rewrote.  he's supposed to be directing it too, but i think it's sort of fallen between the cracks.

Satcho9

who directed the Mr. Blue Sky Commercial??

Xixax

Quote from: Satcho9who directed the Mr. Blue Sky Commercial??
It was some ad agency.

Great article about "Bubble Boy" is here:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2076322/

I swiped the ad, too:

[/size]

Rudie Obias

do you have anything else in the download section i could download?

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Xixax

Quote from: rudieobdo you have anything else in the download section i could download?

*rudie*
Everything else in there is in the "Feature Presentation" section.
[/size]