Farrelly Brothers

Started by Spike, September 22, 2003, 08:08:38 AM

MacGuffin

It's 'play ball' for Strickland, Skye in 'Pitch'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

KaDee Strickland, one of the stars of "Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid," and Ione Skye are signing on to play opposite Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon in "Fever Pitch," Fox 2000's Farrelly brothers movie. The project is based on British author Nick Hornby's book, described as an autobiography and a soccer bible rolled into one. The comedy writing team of Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel adapted "Pitch" and Americanized it so that the project focuses on baseball. The story line follows Fallon as a man obsessed with the Boston Red Sox and Barrymore as a woman caught in the middle. Strickland and Skye would play Barrymore's best friends.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinAmericanized it so that the project focuses on baseball.

That just fucked everything up. Baseball my ass  :?  The book is amazing because it was written with the love for soccer as its heart. You take its heart out and what do you have left? A stupid fucking sport that's only played in a dozen or so countries. Boy, these news did make me mad.
Si

modage

i didnt realize the fever pitch remake was the farelly bros.  is this before or after the three stooges?  i really dont see them as a fit for hornby material, but i wouldnt have seen the 'american pie guys' either, and i loved About A Boy...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

Quote from: themodernage02and i loved About A Boy...

:?...really?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

alright, maybe i didnt love it, but there was a strong liking, sure.  and i had not been someone who liked to watch hugh grant before that.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

I loved About a Boy. I re-watched it yesterday. It's hilarious, really. And great performances throughout.
Si

MacGuffin

'Fever Pitch' Gets World Series Footage

*SPOILERS -- I GUESS*

Your eyes weren't playing tricks on you. That really was Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore making out on the field as the Boston Red Sox celebrated their first World Series victory since 1918.

In a case of art imitating life, the stars of the upcoming Farrelly brothers movie "Fever Pitch" were shooting a new happy ending, which has been cobbled together furiously in the wake of the Sox' historic run to the world championship.

So as Curt Schilling, Kevin Millar, Jason Varitek and the rest of the players swarmed the infield at St. Louis' Busch Stadium Wednesday night after the Sox' four-game sweep of the Cardinals, Fallon and Barrymore were in the middle of the madness, with the Farrellys' camera following them.

Brothers Peter and Bobby, who are directing the movie about a Red Sox fan who's torn between the woman he loves and the baseball team he worships, realized they needed a different ending once the Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the New York Yankees in the American League championship series last week.

"Until then, we didn't allow ourselves to dream that it could happen," Bobby Farrelly said Friday by phone from Toronto, where the rest of "Fever Pitch" is being shot. "You know how superstitious everyone is in Boston. We felt like if we started writing before that, we'd jinx them."

The Farrellys, lifelong Sox fans from Cumberland, R.I., who spent two weeks shooting at Fenway Park last month, asked screenwriters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel to tweak the script to make it about a winning team.

"It works brilliantly at the end," Bobby Farrelly said. "We didn't want to try to fictionalize it, but now it's reality."

The brothers, whose previous movies include "There's Something About Mary" and "Kingpin," scrambled Wednesday to make sure they were filming inside Busch Stadium in case the Sox swept.

Ordinarily, only players and accredited media are allowed on the field a restriction put in place after stars like Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins celebrated in the Mets' locker room and Billy Crystal repeatedly spent time in the Yankees' in 2000. But major league baseball made an exception because of the Farrellys' previous access at Fenway, MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said.

"The first inclination was to make sure they're not directly involved in the action," Courtney said. "You can accomplish both you can have the team celebrating and, in an unobtrusive manner, still enable (the filmmakers) to get what they need."

He added: "At that point, there were so many different groups of media and television in that whole mix, with them off to the side."

Not everyone was satisfied, though.

The Boston Globe's Names section Friday asked major league baseball: "Have you no shame? Why, as the Red Sox deliriously celebrated their first World Series win in 86 years Wednesday, were Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore on the field?"

It continued: "Confused? Appalled? We were, too."

Bobby Farrelly said the criticism doesn't sting.

"It's OK you know why? Now that we won, what are they going to say? The naysayers are going to talk about something, people are used to griping about something. I imagine one or two are going to gripe about that," he said. "Red Sox Nation is going to be very, very happy with what we got, I believe."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

I hope Jimmy Fallon dies soon.

ono

I hope Jimmy Fallon lives a very long and full life.

lamas

well we BOTH can't win and i made my wish first.

ono

I plucked an eyelash and blew it into a north-facing wind, wishing against your wish.  So THERE.

lamas

nice work.  now we all have to put up with garbage movies like Taxi and seeing Jimmy Fallon being interviewd during World Series games for the rest of our lives.  thanks alot.

ono

Haha, you won't see me defending Taxi or anything.  I just think people are way too hard on Fallon.  I'll give him a couple of flicks to prove everyone wrong.  And luckily, I don't care about baseball.

lamas

too hard on him?  what has he done to deserve any film career?  i mean besides popularizing the messy-chic hairstyle which i am a fan of.  of course, i've been rocking that style since the get-go kid.

Pubrick

Quote from: lamasI hope Jimmy Fallon dies soon.
if he doesn't, his career will..
under the paving stones.