Harmony Korine

Started by Rudie Obias, February 02, 2003, 08:54:10 PM

squints

is this true or not: Harmony Korine's Julien Donkey-boy was the first American Dogme 95 film?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Quote from: squintsis this true or not: Harmony Korine's Julien Donkey-boy was the first American Dogme 95 film?

According to IMDB:

QuoteThis is the first American film to be certified by Dogme '95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

yeah it was the first american dogme film, but there were disputes because julien donkey boy had quite a few instances of "extradiagetic music".  korine insisted that those music came from a boombox next to the mic on the sets or something and that was how he got away with it.  Dod Mantle shot it, he'd shot like three of the first six dogme films or something.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

another slight deviation from the guidelines of dogme 95 is the fact that chloe sevigny wasn't actually pregnant.

Pubrick

he confessed all of that.
under the paving stones.

squints

Speaking of her...has anyone seen Vincent Gallo's movie "The Brown Bunny"?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

I Don't Believe in Beatles

I think  is hilarious.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Alethia

Quote from: flagpolespecial
no one has mentioned 'above the below'

above the below is awesome and not as hard to come by as many believe, like you pointed out.

Alethia

NEON MERCURY

:splat: i hate this hack...ugh,

Alethia

Pubrick

Quote from: eward on November 06, 2005, 07:48:26 PM
http://www.harmony-korine.com/paper/main/news.html

it's about fucking time.
the article, for the lazy:

Colourful details have emerged of Mister Lonely, the latest feature from Tennessee and London-based maverick Harmony Korine (Gummo, julien donkey-boy). 60s icon Anita Pallenberg is to play the Queen Of England, Denis Lavant will portray Charlie Chaplin, Samantha Morton is Marilyn Monroe and Diego Luna will play a Michael Jackson impersonator

"I am trying to do things I haven't done before. It's my most ambitious film. I really want to push myself visually," Korine told Screen International. The $9.5 million production, his first feature since 1999, is due to shoot in the north of Scotland, France and French Guyana. Celluloid Dreams is handling international sales and has already closed a deal with Gaga for Japan.

The plotline is outlandish, even by Korine's standards. This is a yarn about a young American lost in Paris, eking out a living as a Michael Jackson lookalike. By co-incidence, he meets Marilyn Monroe. He follows her to a commune in Scotland, joining her husband Charlie Chaplin and her daughter Shirley Temple. Fellow residents include The Pope, The Queen of England, Madonna and James Dean. The drama is also partly set In a Brazilian forest where a community of missionary nuns bring aid to the locals.

Korine co-scripted with Avi Korine. Executive produced by Nadja Romain for Love Streams, the film is co-produced by Korine's new production outfit, O'Salvation, Agnes b's Love Streams Productions and ARTE (France). The cinematographer is Marcel Zyskind.

The director describes O'Salvation, launched earlier this year, as "an outlet to make films away from the system or the machine." The company has already produced Blackberry Winter by Brent Stewart and Aluminium Fowl by James Clauer.

- Geoffrey Macnab, Screen Daily (November 02, 2005)
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

I just had my first Korine experience watching Kids.  I'm not sure where I stand.  The film had an effect on me, but I still can't shake the feeling it was exploitation.  Perhaps thats why it worked.  I'm glad I saw it at age 22, and not when I was in High School.  I'm just so torn over my feelings on this.  I'm not sure if Fitzpatrick's performance was really good or not.  I couldn't stand his look, his face, his voice, anything about him.  I'm sure that is part of the point, but I also didn't believe him.  The kid is just a dork, he should be home playing Magic: The Gathering.  The rest of the characters, I can see behaving like that, but not Telly.  I'm not sure if there is a message in that or if it is just bad casting. 

I guess I need to think about it more and figure out where my feelings are with this film.  As it stands now, I'd recommend Kids, but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again.

I want to see more Korine, but I'm afraid.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

KIDS is not a Korine film.  It's a Larry Clark film, exploitation, a waste of time, really.  I was afraid to see more Korine, too, after KIDS, but I took a deep breath and Netflixed Gummo.  And my outlook on cinema probably first started to change with that film.  Though boring in some places, it's so visually striking you can't help but be moved.  There's no room for indifference.

Korine is much better than this.  He has a sensibility where he is able to capture reality.  It's shocking in a sad way, but still reality.  If you've ever been fond of any sort of poetic sensibility in film, say that found in The Brown Bunny, Morvern Callar, Gerry, Songs from the Second Floor, check out Gummo and then julien donkey-boy.  Both are worthwhile for the open-minded.  Though the films I've listed don't have too much in common with Korine's work, in spirit they are quite similar.

SHAFTR

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 16, 2005, 02:23:25 AM

Korine is much better than this.  He has a sensibility where he is able to capture reality.  It's shocking in a sad way, but still reality.  If you've ever been fond of any sort of poetic sensibility in film, say that found in The Brown Bunny, Morvern Callar, Gerry, Songs from the Second Floor, check out Gummo and then julien donkey-boy.  Both are worthwhile for the open-minded.  Though the films I've listed don't have too much in common with Korine's work, in spirit they are quite similar.

I hated Gerry.  I netflixed Gummo, so I'll eventually get to it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"