Harmony Korine

Started by Rudie Obias, February 02, 2003, 08:54:10 PM

snaporaz

Quote from: SubstanceDMost of the Dogme movies are shot digital

dogme's been around longer than digital. eat me.

Ghostboy

Quote from: snaporaz

Actually, it hasn't. They both hit the mainstream, so to speak, at roughly the same time.

Pedro

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: snaporaz

Actually, it hasn't. They both hit the mainstream, so to speak, at roughly the same time.
The original Dogme rules state that the film format must be Academy 35 mm.  maybe that's what he's trying to say?

Cecil

the end format must be on 35. it can be shot on whatever you want just as long as its transfered to 35 afterwards

Pedro

Quote from: cecil b. dementedthe end format must be on 35. it can be shot on whatever you want just as long as its transfered to 35 afterwards
oh

bonanzataz

breaking the waves was done on film.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Breaking The Waves was pre-Dogme.

meatwad

didn't korine direct a video for sonic youth? Has anybody seen that?

//www.thestate22.com

godardian

I dunno... Todd Haynes definitely did, though. Off of Goo.

I like Korine's stuff. More than I like him. I think he's literally deranged. I really like Gummo, though, and I was the only person I knew of (until now) who loved Julien Donkey-Boy.

His films are such tactile experiences, they're really overwhelming. The image that really stands out to me from either film: The backyard scene from Gummo wherein the children take turns kissing in a swimming pool... in the rain. There is something so innocent and tender about that image; it's really beautiful. From Julien Donkey-Boy, it's Sevigny's character wandering through the wheat (corn?) field, singing a hymn. He has a lovely visual sense.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

meatwad

has todd haynes done any other music videos?

//www.thestate22.com

godardian

I don't think so. Not that I know of.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Thecowgoooesmooo

Korine is a visual genious in my opinion. But hes a real asshole in real life, (i know some people who grew up with him). Great sense visually, in Gummo, (big fan) he makes the ugliest things look so beautiful. His movies don't have traditional stories or plots, which I think allot of people can't handle that for some reason, but I think its a great change. Also, Kids is absolutely amazing, because its extremely realistic, its like a commentary on so many of the kids growing up in New York during the early to mid 90's. Its not the same scene there now.

chris

AK

Quote from: Meatwadhas todd haynes done any other music videos?

//www.thestate22.com

I believe he directed two...that one where Chloƫ Sevigny appears naked and other with Kulkin (don't remember the names)

godardian

Quote from: AK
Quote from: Meatwadhas todd haynes done any other music videos?

//www.thestate22.com

I believe he directed two...that one where Chloƫ Sevigny appears naked and other with Kulkin (don't remember the names)

Any details? Bands, songs, etc?

AK

ok, i completely messed up the things...i meant korine directed for sonic youth  two videos, sorry .