Harmony Korine

Started by Rudie Obias, February 02, 2003, 08:54:10 PM

Rudie Obias

thoughts?  opinions?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ghostboy

It's taken me two viewings to really appreciate each of his films, but once I get them, I love them. I think they both play better on the small screen, which is probably why I didn't get into them until I saw them on DVD. Julien Donkey Boy in particular benefits from the tighter resolution of a TV screen.

I wasn't a huge fan of Kids, though. It was okay, but I'm really glad it gave Korine the boost he needed to make his own films.

Duck Sauce

I liked Kids but I was very close to hating both Gummo and Julien-Donkey Boy although the scene at the ice-skating rink was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to watch. I have a problem keeping with movies that lack any sort of a plot, and although I give him kudos for style and originality, I think he relies too much on it. Maybe somebody could tell me whats so great.

Xixax

Harmony's movies are like watching a car crash, IMO. There's no "art", there's no good guys or bad guys, it's more like it's all stream of consciousness stuff that sucks you in like a bad episode of Cops.

First time I saw Gummo, I kept wondering if these people could be any more worthless than they already had become, and then we're met with the retarded prostitute.

Harmony's stuff is lower than the bottom of the barrel. It's so toxic that it would eat through the foulest of shitholes and leave the turds begging for mercy.

Yet, all that being said, I still find myself glued to the screen when I encounter a DVD or an IFC viewing of one of Harmony's movies.

I think his films are absolutely horrible, and I love them all.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

KingBlackDeath

JDB is great aside from the cigarette in the nose guy, the armless man, the nun doing whatever the hell she is doing, the bag boy barking, and half of the stuff with Herzog. These are things that make his films seem stupid because it's like "Look at this guy! Isn't that FUCKED UP!?!" and I've seen that cigarette guy do that before on other things. If he took at that stuff and just left the julien and the julian/sister/brother stuff it would be better.

i liked Gummo more before I saw it when I would hear Harmony describe his theories on filmmaking and hear desriptions of it. After seeing it, I'm neutral on it.

But anyone who can write a book that makes a reference to Jordy in it is fine by me.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

b/a

I love him. Gummo and JDB are two of my favorite movies. I wish he would hurry up and do something else though. All of my favorite directors seems to work at a glacial pace while the ones I hate churn out movies every other month.
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

Pwaybloe

Quote from: b/aI love him. Gummo and JDB are two of my favorite movies. I wish he would hurry up and do something else though. All of my favorite directors seems to work at a glacial pace while the ones I hate churn out movies every other month.

Well, one of Harmony's earliest scripts has been made into Larry Clark's "Ken Park."  I don't know what's going on with distribution, but I doubt the Brits will see it anytime soon since Clark punched his British distributor over a political argument.

TenseAndSober

I just saw Julien Donkey Boy the other day and loved it.  Gummo was good too...Harmony Korine is definetly one of my favorite filmmakers.

snaporaz

i thought julien donkey-boy was crap. gummo was cool since it wasn't trying to be serious [i think. please don't say i'm wrong], so it worked. donkey-boy, on the other hand, was a desperate attempt at making an emotional, dramatic dogme piece - which, in my opinion, was a cop out since it was done on digi. and it didn't work at all. nothing more to add to that, really.

Xixax

Quote from: snaporazi thought julien donkey-boy was crap. gummo was cool since it wasn't trying to be serious [i think. please don't say i'm wrong], so it worked. donkey-boy, on the other hand, was a desperate attempt at making an emotional, dramatic dogme piece - which, in my opinion, was a cop out since it was done on digi. and it didn't work at all. nothing more to add to that, really.
Yes, I was surprised that it was considered (or attempted to be) a Dogme95 movie because it was all shot digital.

I netflixed this again this weekend and finally gave it a sit-down all the way through viewing and absolutely loved it. The guy who played Julian was really phenomenal.

Harmony, for all of his weirdness, is becoming one of my offbeat favorites, for sure. I can't wait to see Ken Park. Larry Clark is another filmmaker on my list of "get-to-know-better".
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

manhattanize

i think harmony korine is a great filmmaker, not because of depth, but because of the surface that then makes the audience feel his depth especially with gummo and JDB...i'm not making much sense, so really what i'm trying to say is that most of his emotional appearance is just strictly surface and is weak in that sense, visually he is messy but it is quite called for with the stories or lack of story he is trying to tell...
it's funny, because if i attempt to talk about him, i get as random and as confusing as his work...
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka

SubstanceD

Most of the Dogme movies are shot digital
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Xixax

Quote from: SubstanceDMost of the Dogme movies are shot digital
Don't forget the part about how most of them suck, too.
8)
[/size]

Spike

Did anyone of you notice his cameo-appereance in "Kids". He's the boy with the glasses who goes with Jenny through this disco and gives her an ecstasy-pill. For me he looks with the glasses like a swot.  :)
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

phil marlowe

Quote from: XixaxDon't forget the part about how most of them suck, too.
8)
they do not. most of them are really good actcually. how many have you even seen? expand.