Carnivale

Started by Find Your Magali, September 09, 2003, 04:11:12 PM

grand theft sparrow

I gave up on season 2.  Season 1's got a pretty good ending (so hang in there) but, without giving anything away, the season 2 premiere kind of lays everything out that season 1 was being coy about.  I've been paying less and less attention to the show after that, completely missing last week's episode and not really caring that I did.  I intend to keep watching but if there isn't a resolution by the end of this season, it might officially drag on too long for me to care.

modage

okay, i finished season one and watched the first episode of season two.  the show is not great, but it could be.  and thats what kills me abou it.  if it just plain blew, i could stop watching.  but its the fact that it has so much going for it and so many cool elements in place that i dont want to give up on it.  the worst part about season one was ALL THE TIME SPENT IN THE COOCH TENT.  and EVERY PERSON HOOKING UP WIHT EVERY OTHER PERSON AND HAVING SEX.  i realize this is hbo, and they want to be 'edgy', but jeezus christ.  wasting the bulk of an entire season on that just wasted everybodys time.  at the end of season one i realized that there wasnt much we had learned that couldnt have been learned in like, 2 episodes.  THATS how slow they went with revealing stuff, and thats how offtrack they got with stupid soap opera storylines.  

MY theory is that the creator, daniel knauf, had intended for more things to be revealed throughout season one than were.  but when he didnt end up writing most of the episodes after the first one, the show started to go off onto every detour known to mankind and reveal almost none of the information of what the show is actually about.  so, he had to come in and write the season two opener himself and in 3 minutes basically give you all the information you were supposed to know by the end of season one to get things caught up to where they can move the story forward.  i doubt it was planned for all that crucial information to come out during the season two opener, but after fucking around too much during season one (literally) they had to do something.  whats even funnier is as much time as they spent dwelling on those storylines when the 'on the last season of carnivale' thing came up to catch new viewers up at the beginning of season two they didnt show ONE clip from any of those things.  just to prove what a waste of time that stuff was and how non-essential to the plot they were.  and one last thing.  what the writers didnt seem to understand about season one was that having everybody hookup and do it right away with a bunch of different combinations of each other does not make for good tv.  the good drama is in the waiting.  in the restraint.  'mulder and  scully' is what keeps people coming back.  give us just ONE romance that we care about and thats worth more than all the hookups they can throw at us.  and i believe knauf knows this, as in that first episode he showed us several characters at odds with each other setting up for good drama.  

so, i hope the series will continue on like the season one finale and the season two opener, because if it goes back to wasting time i'm going to give up on it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

HBO to end 'Carnivale'

"Carnivale," HBO's offbeat fantasy/mystery series set during the Depression, has not been renewed for a third season. The show received five technical Emmys last September, but it never achieved the success of the channel's other dramatic series: "The Sopranos," "Six Feet Under" and "Deadwood."

"We have decided not to renew 'Carnivale,' " HBO Entertainment president Carolyn Strauss said in a statement. "We feel the two seasons we had on air told the story very well and we're proud of what everyone associated with the show has accomplished."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks