Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

cine

Quote from: El DuderinoI've never seen a Godard film. where do you think is a good place to start?
Breathless and then My Life to Live.

Quote from: SoNowThenTranscribe in english, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I get it, of course.
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Yes, of course.

8)

Oh, and Duderino, don't start with My Life To Live. Save it at least until you've seen some others.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: cronopio
:embrace:

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: cronopio
:embrace:

hehe, i'm just funnin' ya
context, context, context.

SHAFTR

Quote from: El DuderinoI've never seen a Godard film. where do you think is a good place to start?

i normally try to start chronologically with directors.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

El Duderino

Quote from: SHAFTR

i normally try to start chronologically with directors.

i never thought of that, it is a good idea, maybe i'll do that or maybe i'll do the list SoNowThen sent me. hmm.....decisions that change your life. :?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SoNowThen

Chronological is a great idea.

It's not a rule I would apply to many directors, but with Godard it would work out well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

then it's settled!  :-D
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Alethia

dont watch hail mary first

Ordet

So we know Bergman thinks Godard is boring and snobbish. What does Luke think of Ingie? Did he ever review him in Cahiers? anythinh would be nice.
were spinning

Ordet

iT JUST HIT ME THERE SHOULD BE A MOVIE

BEEF
FILM DIRECTORS
were spinning

SHAFTR

Quote from: Roman CibelesSo we know Bergman thinks Godard is boring and snobbish. What does Luke think of Ingie? Did he ever review him in Cahiers? anythinh would be nice.

I like how you just nicknamed Jean Luc Godard 'Luke'.  Are you two bros?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

i just put in my order for the Criterion of A Woman is a Woman.
i'm so excited......and i just can't hide.it.......i'm about to lose.....
that's enough.

i don't want to rehash the thread, so if this film has been talked about........eh, fahget aboud it..........your mind might have changed between now and then..........so, what do/did you think of A Woman is a Woman? i have yet to see it, but i shall contribute after i watch it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Silver Bullet

I just finished reading Colin McCabe's Godard: A Portrait of the Artist at Seventy and found it, to a point, quite inspiring.

Has anybody else here read it?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]