Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThis film is nowhere near in the realm of the wonderfulness of The Big Lebowski and Amelie (two films that continue to baffle me as to why they were shafted).  Eyes Wide Shut, too, but Kubrick got his kudos.  "I demand a recount."  **½ (6/10)
i would like to know who voted for this, other than those here already passionately defending it, (and why).  i am shocked that it made the top 15, when i had scarcely even heard of it before this board.  and it was the only one of the 50 i hadnt seen.

although I enjoy The Big Lebowski, to even think it even touches the realm of Godard's My Life to Live (or Breathless or Band of Outsiders) baffles me.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRalthough I enjoy The Big Lebowski, to even think it even touches the realm of Godard's My Life to Live (or Breathless or Band of Outsiders) baffles me.
Yet no one yet has given us any reason why Vivre sa vie is so great, whereas I could write pages on The Big Lebowski or Amelie if asked.  That's all I'm asking is for; some sort of justification.  I've read some of the stuff SNT and godardian have said for it, and some of what GT has said against it, but I just really want someone to be specific for a moment.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: SHAFTRalthough I enjoy The Big Lebowski, to even think it even touches the realm of Godard's My Life to Live (or Breathless or Band of Outsiders) baffles me.
Yet no one yet has given us any reason why Vivre sa vie is so great, whereas I could write pages on The Big Lebowski or Amelie if asked.  That's all I'm asking is for; some sort of justification.  I've read some of the stuff SNT and godardian have said for it, and some of what GT has said against it, but I just really want someone to be specific for a moment.

In GT's thread, I thought I was pretty specific about what I loved about the film.

Sleuth

Quote from: CinephileWell did you enjoy Breathless?

*sigh*
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: Slorg
Quote from: CinephileWell did you enjoy Breathless?

*sigh*
Problem with the question?

Alethia

no that was an exhale

Pubrick

breathless i could understand if it made it cos it's good and many hav seen it.

my life to live prolly got in there cos of the snob factor, it must be doing the rounds in film schools or sumthing. just like PDL made it cos of the "boogie nights is too ancient to vote for and i hav no memory" crowd..
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pbreathless i could understand if it made it cos it's good and many hav seen it.

my life to live prolly got in there cos of the snob factor, it must be doing the rounds in film schools or sumthing. just like PDL made it cos of the "boogie nights is too ancient to vote for and i hav no memory" crowd..

for the record, Punch-Drunk Love is fast becoming my favorite film, and I still think it's PTA's best.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pbreathless i could understand if it made it cos it's good and many hav seen it.

*sigh*

No, no, no... y'know, there is the possibility that My Life To Live is just a damn fine masterpiece, and deserves to be on the list. We never got to watch any Godard in film school. They made us watch The Big Chill, and Butch Cassidy, and most of the other students went to all the new movies in the theatre. All my Godard watching came 2 years after film school, when I decided to actually watch some movies, not just the usual stuff. People may not like My Life To Live, but there's no fucking reason to pick this one, of all on the list, to harp on. It's stood the test of time, it's regarded as a masterpiece of world cinema. Quite honestly, I didn't even think it would get on the list. I hadn't really talked to anyone about it, but it's always been my favorite Godard. I figured 8 1/2 might have a chance, because of the Criterion dvd, which brought many more to it than if it would have been an obscure alt video rental. But for the few hardcore fans of Godard on the board, for My Life To Live to make it, must say something about the quality and staying power of this movie, at least among his fans. Breathless may have been hugely influencial on cinema, but it is an amateur hack job compared to My Life To Live. And the list wasn't "most influential" anyway, we were picking our favorites.

So enough with the snob comments. They're derogatory, and they're hurtful.  :wink:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleepless

Haven't seen My Life To Live, but since the discussion on here I've ordered it and looking forward to seeing it myself. Only seen five Godard films so far - and although all the books etc focus on Breathless, there is a huge gap between that and Bande A Part. Shall return with informed opinion soon...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

soixante

My Life to Live is my favorite Godard film.  While it is detached in terms of technique and storytelling (breaking the story into episodes that give it a sense of Brechtian distancing), it is also Godard's most emotionally engaging film, due to Karina's wonderful performance, and the sense of doom that descends upon the loss of innocence.  Karina's character is rather naive and blase about sexual depravity, yet the full realization of the error of her ways hits her (and the viewer) in a particularly strong way.  Then there is the whole issue of pimps and prostitutes as a comment on the capitalist economic system.
Music is your best entertainment value.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenNo, no, no... y'know, there is the possibility that My Life To Live is just a damn fine masterpiece, and deserves to be on the list.
Why?
Quote from: SoNowThenPeople may not like My Life To Live, but there's no fucking reason to pick this one, of all on the list, to harp on.
Why?
Quote from: SoNowThenIt's stood the test of time, it's regarded as a masterpiece of world cinema.
Why?

Color me dense, but I still don't get it.  How can you possibly put this film in the same ranks as the other complex and layered works on the list?

SoNowThen

At the risk of repeating myself (because I've gone over this in 3 threads now), I'll PM you.

And it'll be why I like the movie. If you want critical reactions, check out Sontag's and Sarris' essays on it. They talk about the intellectual stuff much better than I ever could, but I'll give you my emotional blah blah.

Fair?

Oh, and as a side note, I think at least two of the top 15 are totally bunk and don't belong there, but I'm not harping on about it or challenging the films. Not liking something personally does not a bad film make...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Henry Hill

BREATHLESS and CONTEMPT are both great films. I have never even heard of MY LIFE TO LIVE. there must be some inner-circle type conspiricy going on in  xixax in regards to said LIFE. i can't believe it made the list myself.

Sleepless

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Une Femme Mariee from? I've looked on amazon, ebay... no luck. Any ideas?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.