Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just saw my first Godard.

"Weekend"

I feel a little confused and dirty.  Therefore, I will watch it again.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

where did you find a copy of it?
i wonder why this doesn't come to DVD?

is it true that there's something about a fish and the femal anatomy?

i'm playing 20 questions (or 3 rather). :?:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: bigideaswhere did you find a copy of it?
i wonder why this doesn't come to DVD?

is it true that there's something about a fish and the femal anatomy?

i'm playing 20 questions (or 3 rather). :?:
\

1) My library has has these old dusty shelves (No joke, they're ancient) of foreign films that groups have donated to the library at some point or another, and almost all of them haven't been checked out more than twice.  It's a goldmine for me to reap in some free culture.  They've got almost every Kurosawa, and always surprises me what I find the next time.

2) I can only seem to find it on VHS.

3) SPOILERS...sort of Basically, these cannibal guerillas have these people kidnapped, and they are preparing this woman to be eaten, so they crack some eggs over her, and then it appears that they wedge a fish into her vagina.  Of course, you just seem the man force it down, and her knees sticking up, but I guess that's up to your imagination.  
Oddly enough, that isn't even the weirdest part of the movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

weekend is brilliant and repeated viewings only yield more of its treasure.  except that one section with the two political speeches.  that's boring.  but i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a joke.  so whatever.

haha and weekend should NOT be anyone's first experience with Godard.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideasi wonder why this doesn't come to DVD?

New Yorker [supposebly] is releasing it early next year.

tpfkabi

i finally watched Alphaville. i'm not sure what i think yet.
i'm trying to figure out where the Alpha 60's voice is coming from. am i supposed to assume there are speakers placed everywhere or what?

modage

Quote from: bigideasi finally watched Alphaville. i'm not sure what i think yet.
haha, another way of saying you dont like it, although you feel that you are somehow supposed to.  dont worry a handful of us felt the same way (atleast the first time we saw it).  i guess wait a while and try watching it again, (although i have yet to give it another try).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

yeah, i felt the same, too.

tpfkabi

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: bigideasi finally watched Alphaville. i'm not sure what i think yet.
haha, another way of saying you dont like it, although you feel that you are somehow supposed to.  dont worry a handful of us felt the same way (atleast the first time we saw it).  i guess wait a while and try watching it again, (although i have yet to give it another try).

not exactly. if you do a search of the board of me and new wave films you will see this is my usual reaction. i'm confused about the Alpha 60 voice. it would just come out of nowhere.

soixante

Criterion is releasing Tout Va Bien in February, Godard's 1972 film starring Jane Fonda.  I've never seen it, but I'll blind buy it.

Alphaville requires patience and repeated viewings -- it is one of Godard's best films.  Scorsese took camera moves from Alphaville and used them in Taxi Driver.  Alphaville's sterile and despairing view of technology and the future influenced not only THX 1138 but also The Conversation.

Simply from a visual, spatial, and graphic design standpoint, Alphaville is worthy of close study.
Music is your best entertainment value.

tpfkabi

doesn't Lemmy drive a Mustang? that's kinda funny.

spoilers

explain to me the guy in the hotel after the woman ask if he wants to take a bath. is this just a gag sort of? it was funny to me when he smashed through the door windows. it made me think of that doorin the apt. in Contempt.

Alethia

soixante

Godard's films are filled with digressions, in which characters give long speeches about politics and so forth.  One of his recurrent themes is prostitution, which for him is a metaphor for capitalism (at least, that's my interpretation of it).

I guess the best way to approach Godard is to expect digressions in his storylines, along with jump-cutting, background music that stops and starts for no reason, and self-conscious filmmaking techniques (whether in staging, framing, lighting or camera moves) that make the viewer aware he's watching a movie.
Music is your best entertainment value.

tpfkabi

yeah. that sounds like you just watched My Life to Live.

Alethia

ahh what a gratifying experience it is to watch that film.