Terry Zwigoff

Started by Spike, August 10, 2003, 04:43:01 AM

MacGuffin

Nicolas Cage Teaming With Terry Zwigoff, Ed Pressman for 'Lost Melody' (Exclusive)
Source: Total Film

Oscar winner Nicolas Cage is in talks to star in "Lost Melody," an indie movie that will be directed by Terry Zwigoff ("Bad Santa") and produced by Edward R. Pressman ("American Psycho").

According to Pressman, Zwigoff has his eye on Cage to play a man who's trapped in a marriage to a shrewish wife and falls in love with a prostitute.

Zwigoff co-wrote the script with Melissa Axelrod. Anthony Scaramucci will executive produce with Pressman Film's COO Jon Katz.

Pressman recently worked with Cage on Werner Herzog's "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans."

"When considering a project, I think it most important that the director and the film live in the same universe and Terry certainly achieves this with 'Lost Melody,'" said Pressman. "I've always wanted to work with Terry and am excited to be teaming on a wonderful darkly-funny drama in the tradition of such classics as 'The Blue Angel' and 'Sunset Boulevard.'"

Cage recently wrapped David Gordon Green's "Joe" and will soon be seen opposite John Cusack in "The Frozen Ground." He's repped by CAA, manager Mike Nilon and attorney Jacob A. Bloom.

Zwigoff is known for such idiosyncratic films as "Ghost World," "Bad Santa" and the acclaimed 1994 documentary "Crumb." He's also developing an upcoming comedy starring "SNL" alum Fred Armisen formerly known as "Justice for Al" that he co-wrote with Axelrod. He's repped by WME and attorney Warren Dern.

Pressman previously produced Oliver Stone's "Wall Street" and executive produced Terrence Malick's "Badlands" and Jason Reitman's "Thank You for Smoking." He's currently developing a reinvention of the 1994 cult hit "The Crow" for Relativity,  a remake of the iconic action movie "Bloodsport" and "Happy Valley," a biopic about the late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno that will star Al Pacino and be directed by Brian De Palma.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Massive Robert Crumb interview from a couple days ago

Robert Crumb Hates You - The world's greatest cartoonist in a sprawling, exclusive, lurid interview about misogyny, America, art, and tushes that look like 'two giant basketballs'

wilder

'Ghost World' Director Terry Zwigoff Runs Down All The Films He Couldn't Get Made
via The Playlist

Terry Zwigoff hasn't always had the best relationship with Hollywood. His films tend to be prickly human portraits ("Crumb," "Ghost World") that don't make for easy marketing, and the biggest commercial film of his career, "Bad Santa," saw him enter a heated battle with the Weinsteins, who wanted to soften its sharper edges (read our candid interview with Zwigoff for all the juicy details). After he flopped with 2006's "Art School Confidential," Zwigoff hasn't made a feature film since, but it's certainly not for lack of trying. In fact, it sounds like he's had one movie after another fall apart.

Speaking with Vanity Fair, the filmmaker runs down the list of projects that nearly got made or just couldn't get the pieces in place, and it's all a bit staggering. Some of these we would've really loved to see. Here's what he had to say:

Quote from: Terry ZwigoffIt's been very difficult for all filmmakers trying to make small- or medium-budget movies. It started in 2007 — the housing bubble, the subprime mortgage crisis. The Hollywood business model shifted. They weren't interested in making a modest amount of money, like $10 million. They wanted to make a billion.

So you can shoot your movie on your iPhone, or you can be one of the 10 guys making a Marvel film. I don't have any interest in that, nor would I know how to do it. But what have I been doing? Am I pacing the house? Waiting for the mail? I've taken on whatever writing or development jobs I can that allow me to stay in San Francisco.

For instance, I was contacted by Johnny Depp, who was interested in adapting a book called 'Happy Life.' It was about a guy who visits an old folks' home and falls in love with an older woman. I saw it as an opportunity to write for Jeanne Moreau. I worked on it with Jerry Stahl. We met in L.A. at Depp's suggestion, and we both were like, "I don't know about this — but gee, it's a lot of money, okay."

There was another project called 'The $40,000 Man' all set up at New Line, and then [sighs] they had a regime change once I turned my script in. Then I had a deal to adapt a book by Elmore Leonard. I was sent it by his granddaughter. This was around 2010; the book was called 'Maximum Bob'....We had the deal, we had financing, we started adapting. Then we get a call: "Hang on, we just found out there was a short-lived TV show, and we can't separate the rights." [Laughs.]

Then there was something called 'Edward Ford' [written by Lem Dobbs], something of a legendary script. It had the reputation of being the greatest script ever, which I don't quite agree with, but I liked it very much. We had Michael Shannon attached to play the lead, then the money fell through. But it was such an uncommercial script, I sorta attached myself to it knowing it would never be made.

By the way, that's not all. Other pictures at one time brewing for Zwigoff included "Lost Melody" starring Nicolas Cage, and "Justice For Al" starring Fred Armisen. But it's not all bad news for the director: he's currently got a show in Amazon's pilot season, "Budding Prospects," and should it make the cut, we'll be seeing a lot more from him.

wilder

From Deadline's Pilot coverage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'BUDDING PROSPECTS'

STUDIO: Amazon Studios
TEAM: Melissa Axelrod (w, ep), Terry Zwigoff (d, ep), Vincent Landay (ep), Terry Zwigoff (d, ep), Joanna Colbert (co-ep)
LOGLINE: It's 1983 San Francisco, and three hapless city boys move to the country to grow marijuana. Their expectations of the experience being a back-to-the-land, nurturing adventure in a beautiful rustic setting run up against the harsh truth upon their arrival at "the Summer Camp" – a miserably run-down shanty out in the middle of nowhere, where they are bedeviled by rats, snakes, mosquitoes, unfriendly growing conditions, noisy neighbors, dangerous locals and menacing law enforcement.
CAST: Adam Rose, Joel David Moore, Will Sasso, Brett Gelman

(Hopefully) coming to Amazon.

jenkins

really it's cray that he made bad santa based on how few films he made. it's been since 06's art school confidential, that's pretty jacked

wilder

Wide-ranging interview full of behind the scenes stories on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast from December 2021

Alethia

I JUST listened to that a few days ago! Fantastic stuff! I love Terry Zwigoff, Ghost World is an all-timer for me.

Is it strange that I was surprised to hear what an insufferable drunken prick Billy Bob Thornton is (or was, at least)? Somehow that information eluded me all these years...

wilder