Lost Highway

Started by ono, July 23, 2003, 08:48:09 PM

Ghostboy

Seriously. What a great way to start the day!

NEON MERCURY

Yabba--Dabba-Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redlum

I watched this last night. I thought it was one of the scariest films I'd ever seen. I'm very good at surrendering myself to a film I've found. Mainly because I'm more conscious of my hatred towards people who constantly try to outsmart a film than of the fact that I'm only watching a film.
It was good. I felt like I understood it as far as I needed to but afterwards I couldn't help thinking - did it have to be so (for want of a better description) 'chronologicaly fucked' to be successful? Having said that I understood Mulholland Drive a whole lot less and enjoyed it more. Whatever that means. We shall see. I'm fairly new to Lynch having only seen Mulholand, Straight Story and Blue velvet before this one.

For those yearning for the Region 1 release, I watched the Region 2 which was anamorpic, and a good looking transfer apart from the reel change burns. The music sounded excellent  in the mix, too.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sleuth

Quote from: ®edlumI watched this last night. I thought it was one of the scariest films I'd ever seen. I'm very good at surrendering myself to a film I've found. Mainly because I'm more conscious of my hatred towards people who constantly try to outsmart a film than of the fact that I'm only watching a film.

Good review
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacWhat makes this film a masterpiece?  And since you think it's a masterpiece, would you put it on the same shelf as say, a Hitchcock classic or some other film?  

hehe. i just read this now. all my lynch movies are on the same shelf as my hitchcocks. so... it hit my funnybone.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: taz.
Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacWhat makes this film a masterpiece?  And since you think it's a masterpiece, would you put it on the same shelf as say, a Hitchcock classic or some other film?  

....well i can honesltly say this......mulholland dr. and elephant man....and lost highway.......are three stronger films out of the lynch catalogie ......vs. ANY three from alfred......

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....well i can honesltly say this......mulholland dr. and elephant man....and lost highway.......are three stronger films out of the lynch catalogie ......vs. ANY three from alfred......

Them's fighting words.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURY....well i can honesltly say this......mulholland dr. and elephant man....and lost highway.......are three stronger films out of the lynch catalogie ......vs. ANY three from alfred......

Them's fighting words.
oh FUCK YEAH THEY ARE, we're gonna have to throw down. :evil:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02oh FUCK YEAH THEY ARE, we're gonna have to throw down. :evil:

We'll take turns holding and punching. By the time we're through, this NEON with be out of gas...Get it?  :twisted:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sanjuro

Mulholland Dr.
Lost Highway
Eraserhead

VS.

Notorious
Shadow of a Doubt
Vertigo

=

yikes... Mulholland Dr., Notorious, and i seriously cant decide the last, either lost highway or shadow of a doubt.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

bonanzataz

well, i think that they're totally different filmmakers and i like them each for very different reasons.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

i saw this film last night for (sort of) the first time.  (when it came out on video and i was probably 15 i rented it since i had the soundtrack as i as a huge smashing pumpkins nut at the time, and probably only got about halfway through it before abandoning it).  so, with my newfound lynchlove i decided i wanted to give it another shot as i remember it having some really creepy elements.  i liked it, but it still feels like a miss for lynch.  although the elements are there it just doesnt quite all fit together for a completely satisfying experience.  i think a big part of it was the casting of pullman and arquette, who just arent compelling enough for you to feel entertained through the whole film.  another thing is it just seemed to be a little lacking, like the idea was not fully baked when they made it, (sort of have to agree about this almost being a 'run through for mulholland drive'.)  its just a little too detached.  i think maybe is that the first hour of the film is so slow and you have no one to identify with, whereas in blue velvet or mullholland drive you get a character who appears normal and is dragged slowly into this world.  (which i guess is the case in the second half of the film, but by then half the movies running time is gone).   so, overall there are some great elements/ideas (especially creepy videotape man, GODDAMN HE IS CREEPY), but overall still a misfire.  (i will still probably buy this when it comes out, and give it a few more viewings.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i saw this film last night for (sort of) the first time.  (when it came out on video and i was probably 15 i rented it since i had the soundtrack as i as a huge smashing pumpkins nut at the time, and probably only got about halfway through it before abandoning it).  so, with my newfound lynchlove i decided i wanted to give it another shot as i remember it having some really creepy elements.  i liked it, but it still feels like a miss for lynch.  although the elements are there it just doesnt quite all fit together for a completely satisfying experience.  i think a big part of it was the casting of pullman and arquette, who just arent compelling enough for you to feel entertained through the whole film.  another thing is it just seemed to be a little lacking, like the idea was not fully baked when they made it, (sort of have to agree about this almost being a 'run through for mulholland drive'.)  its just a little too detached.  i think maybe is that the first hour of the film is so slow and you have no one to identify with, whereas in blue velvet or mullholland drive you get a character who appears normal and is dragged slowly into this world.  (which i guess is the case in the second half of the film, but by then half the movies running time is gone).   so, overall there are some great elements/ideas (especially creepy videotape man, GODDAMN HE IS CREEPY), but overall still a misfire.  (i will still probably buy this when it comes out, and give it a few more viewings.)

.....this is my second fav lynch next to mulholland...i can see your missgivings abou tthis film..but man, i love this one ..the beginning is slow...butt i love how its deliberately done like that and the audio is turned way down...and the camera moves in and out through the house and trough the walls around the curtians and shIt...its  sOOOOOO damn surreal..then the smoke and the slo-mo sex scne and sh*t..its a great way IMO to set up MOOD...and i kind of miss it that after the fisrt 30 mins or so the film takes off at full steam...but still everytime i watch this sh*t on tape it pisses me off that its not out one a solid region one.........

lynch hurry !!!!

MacGuffin

Lost Highway DVD in March!!!?????
Source: Dugpa

It's either a system glitch or a new release date for the long forgotten Lost Highway US DVD. I'm a member of Netflix. A few weeks ago I found out that you can reserve movies in your queue that are not yet available for rental, or that even have a release date. So just for the hell of it, I typed in Lost Highway and it came up with a release date as "unknown". Big surprise. Anyway, the movies that have no release dates are then put in a section outside of regular queue. Today when I checked my queue, I was very surprised to see that Lost Highway had made it's way from the queue of unknown to the normal queue with a release date of  March 8th, 2005. Now it might be a glitch in the Netflix system, as I have not seen it anywhere for sale or pre-order, but in case it isn't, you can tell people that you read it here first. Check it out for yourself if you are a netflix member. It is sporting the specs of the Fullscreen Canadian release on the top of the screen, but look below and you will find details of a 5.1 English and German track, the correct widescreen ratio, along with Cast & Crew Interviews.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

about fucking time -- been waiting for 3 bloody years for this - could be my favorite lynch, just behind the elephant man
...your excuses are your own...