Christopher Guest

Started by chainsmoking insomniac, July 09, 2003, 09:12:27 AM

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

i saw her one time on the street. i was at the girlfight premiere in NYC and she was there and i saw her schmoozing with people outside the theater. i would've said something (probably would have screamed out "AIIIR RAAAID!" even though i'm sure assholes like me do that to her every day of her life since 1995 or 6 or whenever the fuck that movie was) but i'm like, she'll be at the afterparty, i'll talk to her then. she wasn't. i blew it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

that's the movie i saw her at. i was referring to dazed and confused. that's where she's like, "AIIIR RAAAID!"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Guest Dumps Mockumentaries

This Is Spinal Tap icon Christopher Guest has disappointed fans by refusing to make any more "mockumentary" movies - because he no longer finds them funny. The actor/director realized he'd made too many comic documentaries when he helped compile Best In Show, the Museum of Modern Art's retrospective of his movies in New York. Guest explains, "I had always intended to do just three movies in that format, and then do something else. I don't think I'll go back to the documentary-style genre. Eugene Levy (his friend and collaborator) and I talked about different possibilities. One was a Western. I'm not trying to make blockbuster movies. I don't know how to. I'm just trying to make movies that are funny for me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I think I can live with that. It'd be nice if he revisited the genre in like 20 years.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Better now than when people start asking, "When is he going to stop doing mockumentaries?"

The Big Picture was pretty funny.  I'd like to see him doing more fiction fiction.  I hope he's not doing a parody of westerns or a comedy western, as I think a few of those films go a long way.

modage

he should do a parody of a comedy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Guest Takes on Hollywood
Moving away from the mockumentary form, filmmaker Christopher Guest will next tackle Hollywood's awards season. Source: FilmStew.com

Christopher Guest, the writer-director behind films such as Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show, is headed to Hollywood. Daily Variety reports that the satirical filmmaker will make a comedy about the shooting of a bad movie which goes on to mock the Hollywood awards season in For Your Consideration, which Warner Independent Pictures plans to release in the fall of 2006. Shooting begins this October in Los Angeles.

Guest will stick with his regular roster of actors for the project, including Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Eugene Levy, Bob Balaban, Jennifer Coolidge, Michael McKean and Fred Willard. In addition, Ricky Gervais, the Golden Globe-winning star of BBC's The Office, will join the gang of the Castle Rock Entertainment-produced film. The story will focus on three actors shooting an indie film, Home for Purim. The actors' lives are radically shifted when awards season buzz begins to build around their performances.

Posey, O'Hara and Shearer will play the actors whose lives are about to be changed, while Guest will play the director, who has shot 18 television pilots - none of which were picked up to series. Levy stars as an agent, with Gervais playing the head of the small, specialty studio that is producing Home.

While his Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show were shot as mockumentaries, Guest will focus on shooting a movie-within-a-movie for Consideration, which will be largely improvised. Guest will both direct and co-write with Levy, who also co-wrote Guffman, Show and A Mighty Wind with Guest.

Karen Murphy will produce the film with financing coming from Shangri-La Entertainment. Mark Gill and Michael Andreen will be overseeing for Warner Independent, while Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer will shepherd for Castle Rock.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: FilmStew.comMoving away from the mockumentary form
Hardly.  Sounds like the same Guest formula to me.  It could get tiresome, but at least he doesn't produce as much as Allen.  And he's found something that works.  I can already envision how this is going to come off, and it sounds hilarious.  Hopefully, it'll maintain the sentimentality of A Mighty Wind and eschew the missteps of Best in Show.  That, at least, will ensure some form of success.

modage

i'll be really interested to see Gervais in this.  and to see a 'non-mockumentary'.  sounds like a good premise if they don't kill it.

edit: i didn't read this before.
Quote from: onomatavivaHopefully, it'll maintain the sentimentality of A Mighty Wind and eschew the missteps of Best in Show
scratch that, reverse it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Quote from: onomatavivaHopefully, it'll maintain the sentimentality of A Mighty Wind and eschew the missteps of Best in Show

Very much agreed. There's definitely potential in the story. I rarely feel comedies are worth my time if they don't have a dramatic footing  (at least slightly), which Guest took a shot at in Wind. Hopefully this one'll hit close to home, if that synopsis is any indicator.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: onomataviva
Quote from: FilmStew.comMoving away from the mockumentary form
Hardly.  Sounds like the same Guest formula to me.
No doubt, all that's really going to happen is that we're not gonna have interviews.  It will totally look and sound like the other flicks.  Though I wonder how much 'Big Picture' territory is gonna be covered (again).

wilder

Christopher Guest Goes To Netflix With New Film 'Mascots'
via The Playlist

Netflix has announced that in 2016, the mockumentarian will deliver "Mascots." The film will take audiences into the 8th World Mascot Association Championships, where men and women compete to win the prestigious Gold Fluffy Award. So yes, sounds like chance for Guest to assemble a new batch of oddball characters, operating in their own unique fringe atmosphere, and seeing what they do with their outsized ambition.

cronopio 2

cool.

anyone saw his hbo show? that got cancelled quick.

Garam

That's because it was really bad. Somehow managed to blend the worst of British and American comedy in one dated package. It felt like it'd been shelved since 2004.