David Letterman , the man of letters

Started by Jack Sparrow, June 21, 2003, 09:15:29 AM

Bethie

hey. Will you be ready when the gates open?
who likes movies anyway

jtm

Quote from: Pubrickin related news, does anybody else watch the tony mendez show?

the cue card guy? he has his own show?

Pubrick

Quote from: Jay Tee Em
Quote from: Pubrickin related news, does anybody else watch the tony mendez show?

the cue card guy? he has his own show?
u hav a lot of catchin up to do..

they seem to hav discarded all the pre-2005 shows. it's been goin for at least a year.
under the paving stones.

Cecil

Quote from: BethieDavid Letterman is the best dressed man on television. He always has the best ties. Take note.

he shouldnt wear white socks though.

Pubrick

so i gave it a week, and i'm sorry paul, u need glasses!

his eyes are creepy and never match his emotions. not that he needs to be underrated actor james franco or anything, but that dumb smile he always gives dave made perfect sense when he had dead eyes. now it's like sumone gouged his eyes out and replaced them with twinkling glass ones or sumthing.

in other news, tony mendez always feels up the interns.. i think he's gay tho. i liked the old batch the best except for the whole Amor Salvaje cast, that was lame. the blonde chick desiree was hot. i thought she could be a future stephanie. surprisingly (or not), all of dave's assistants are good looking chicks, with a kind of hot librarian look to them. hmm.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

rachel mcadams was great the other nite, shame she wasn't on for longer on account of bill maher. she is quite fine, despite the excessive make up.

and i meant to say earlier, paul got his glasses back  :yabbse-thumbup: . haha all due respect to jerry lewis, but he doesn't know what he's talking about.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Pubrick

did u see amanda peet's reaction at the end of her interview the other nite when dave didn't kiss her hand?

scandalous!
under the paving stones.

Ravi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20051222/en_celeb_eo/18017

Letterman Restrained by Tormented Fan
By Sarah HallWed Dec 21, 7:07 PM ET

David Letterman has been temporarily restrained by a woman who believes that he torments her over the airwaves using a secret code.

New Mexico resident Colleen Nestler filed court documents late last week, alleging that Letterman has been using code words, gestures and "eye expressions" for more than 10 years to convey his desire to marry her and train her as his cohost.

As a result of Letterman's alleged methods of torture, Nestler claims she has suffered from "mental cruelty" and "sleep deprivation," and has been forced into bankruptcy.

She was granted a temporary restraining order by Santa Fe District Judge Daniel Sanchez, who signed off on her application and set a Jan. 12 court date to determine whether to make the order permanent.

In her six-page letter to the court, Nestler requested that Letterman stay at least three yards away from her and that he not "think of me, and release me from his mental harassment and hammering."

Letterman's lawyers have claimed Nestler's complaints are "without merit" and have asked Sanchez to quash the order.

"The claims made are obviously absurd and frivolous," Jim Jackoway, Lettermans attorney in Los Angeles, told the New Mexican. "This constitutes an unfortunate abuse of the judicial process."

Albuquerque attorney Pat Rogers contended that the Santa Fe District Court lacked jurisdiction over Letterman, that Nestler never served Letterman with restraining order papers and that she failed to follow other procedural requirements.

It's unclear from Nestler's complaint when her "relationship" with Letterman began to sour.

In her letter to the court, she claims she began sending Letterman "thoughts of love" after he began hosting The Late Show with David Letterman on CBS in 1993.

"Dave responded to my thoughts of love, and, on his show, in code words & obvious indications through jestures [sic] and eye expressions, he asked me to come east," she wrote.

Letterman upped the ante, she claimed, when he asked her to be his wife shortly before Thanksgiving in 1993.

In a teaser for his show, Letterman jokingly said, "Marry Me, Oprah," which Nestler rapidly deduced was a message intended for her.

"Oprah had become my first of many code names," she wrote. "...[A]s time passed, the code-vocabulary increased & changed, but in the beginning things like 'C' on baseball caps referred to me, and specific messages through songs sung by his guests, were the beginnings of what became an elaborate means of communication between he and myself."

Nestler did not reveal why she waited for so many years to take action against her tormenter. (We're guessing she was motivated by the recent revelation that she's not the only woman Letterman calls Oprah.)

She told the Associated Press Wednesday that she had no comment regarding her pending request for a permanent restraining order, other than "I pray to God I get it."

It's not the first time Letterman has had to deal with a fan gone wrong.

Earlier this year, house painter Kelly Frank, who had been hired to do some touchups at the late night host's Montana ranch, was sentenced to 10 years in state prison for his involvement in a plot to kidnap Letterman's infant son.

Letterman was also stalked for years by obsessed fan Margaret Ray, who broke into his home repeatedly, stole his car and was known to introduce herself as "Mrs. David Letterman."

Ray served 10 months in prison and 14 months in a mental institution on Letterman-related charges. In 1998, she committed suicide by kneeling in front of an oncoming train.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on January 05, 2006, 12:39:29 AM
Bill O'Reilly on Letterman
yeah letterman didn't really make any good points but o'reilly is such a douche that he pretty much owned himself. anyway the best parts of the show were eric bana's segment and the stuff with the kitty.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pubrick on January 05, 2006, 12:54:45 AM
Quote from: Ravi on January 05, 2006, 12:39:29 AM
Bill O'Reilly on Letterman
yeah letterman didn't really make any good points but o'reilly is such a douche that he pretty much owned himself. anyway the best parts of the show were eric bana's segment and the stuff with the kitty.

letterman's last line was classic.

pete

can Letterman ever not be classy?  He admitted that he couldn't debate O'Reilly and admitted that he didn't watch the show, but he out-"Average American"ed O'Reilly at his own game with his frame of absolutes and it was just great, plus, Letterman actually believed in what he was saying, down to every zinger.  What a good show.  That's all pundits are good for anyways--as paper machete pinatas for talkshow hosts.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

yeah, I really like how Letterman almost wanted to argue against Bill O'Reilly as a human being, not politically. It was almost like he just hates the man, on top of the opinions he disagrees with. The whole antiChristmas thing that Letterman just shot down was GREAT.
WWPTAD?

yikes, i hadn't seen a single image of letterman in ages and he has aged a lot! he looks healthy, though. but why bring bill o'reilly to the show? that's like pitchfork reviewing the latest mariah carey album and giving it a 0.5  . hip and unnecessary. yep , like piñatas
context, context, context.