JAMES CAMERON

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 01:30:18 PM

modage

Quote from: GhostboyMy experience with Titanic is almost exactly the same as themodernage's, except that I was the one projecting it for those six months. But that first night that I saw it, before it opened...it was pretty stunning. I'd like to go back and watch it again some time. I figure it's probably on the level of Forrest Gump -- a good movie ruined by excessive public affection.

you said it!  *(high fives).  yeah, that was the best part of the job, seeing movies usually the nite before they would open.  we employees would screen it for ourselves all summer seeing the movies before anybody.  it was pretty cool.  except occasionally, they would send a movie early for some sort of special advance screening, and then we'd see it REAL early.  like, i think i had seen theres something about mary 3 times before it opened, because we got a print of it like a month before it came out.  i couldnt believe how funny it was.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

uh oh, the rumors are true, he has officially gone insane...

James Cameron recently talked with BBC1 and revealed he's very happy with how Terminator 3 ended up: "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good

You can tell on his commentary track for the T2 - Extreme DVD. He makes fun of the T3 tagline: "She'll be back."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

it doesn't surprise me that ur insincerity scanner didn't pick up on James Cameron lying through his ass on that.

he basically said he would have done the whole thing differently, and obviously better. but he's happy the jonathon dude didn't ruin the franchise and that he can look forward to making money off future sequels.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

James Cameron Up for Alien 5
Source: Dark Horizons

Talking to BBC One, James Cameron said he thought Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines turned out great. He doesn't think the same about Alien 3, however, but he's ready to change all that.

"I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in Aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that," Cameron said.

Does this mean he's attached to an Alien 5? "To an extent, yes. We're looking at doing another one. Something similiar to what we did with Aliens. A bunch of great characters, and of course Sigourney. I've even discussed the possibility of putting him [Arnold Schwarzenegger] into the Alien movie".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sal

Quote from: themodernage02uh oh, the rumors are true, he has officially gone insane...

James Cameron recently talked with BBC1 and revealed he's very happy with how Terminator 3 ended up: "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".

It sounds like Cameron's just being nice for the public.  Obviously he wants good relations with Mostow, and I think because he didn't kill off any of his original characters, he came out of the theater in one piece (peace).

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinJames Cameron Up for Alien 5
Source: Dark Horizons

Talking to BBC One, James Cameron said he thought Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines turned out great. He doesn't think the same about Alien 3, however, but he's ready to change all that.

"I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in Aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that," Cameron said.

Does this mean he's attached to an Alien 5? "To an extent, yes. We're looking at doing another one. Something similiar to what we did with Aliens. A bunch of great characters, and of course Sigourney. I've even discussed the possibility of putting him [Arnold Schwarzenegger] into the Alien movie".
jesus, how big a flop was solaris, anyway?
under the paving stones.

modage

James Cameron's Next: Looks like the "Titanic" director is settling back behind the camera yet again. RTE Interactive reports that James Cameron will direct a movie based on the real-life love story of freedivers Francisco Ferreras and his wife, Audrey Mestre. Seems "Mestre learnt the sport of freediving from her husband and died last year attempting to break her world record of diving 557.7 feet on a single breath of air", and Cameron will travel to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico this October to film Ferreras' attempt to match his wife's record - the resort where the couple first met and where he taught his wife to dive. This will mark Cameron's first "scripted feature" in over six years.

Spike

-THE TERMINATOR
An amazing masterpiece! I think it's better than the second one.
-ALIENS
Haven't seen it yet.
-THE ABYSS
See "Aliens".
-TERMINATOR II: JUDGEMENT DAY
Really great, but not as good as Part 1.
-TRUE LIES
A fantastic action film, very funny and entertaining - one of his best!
-TITANIC
I quiet liked it. Great actors, good story, fantastic effects, very entertaining.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

adolfwolfli

How could you put Titanic at the bottom of the list?  There are people that saw this 16 times in the theaters.  The only way that EVER happens is when a movie touches a very deep, primal, mythological core, way down inside.

It touched a chord with people across the planet.  Sure, it's got Leonardo DiCraprio and a slightly cheesy love story at its core, but I was absolutely BLOWN away the first time I saw this movie.  Maybe it had to do with the fact that I saw it opening night, before ANY of the hype, when it was still uncertain whether this was going to be a big hit or a stupendous, studio-sinking flop.  Not to mention I saw it projected on an IMAX screen.  

It's hard to look at the movie now with fresh eyes, years after all the box-office records, hype, Celine Dion hysteria...but there are truly unforgettable images in that film.  I would rate it as Jim's second only under Aliens.

I guess in the end there are guys that are too macho to say they like Titanic.  It is, in essence, a girl's film.  Syd Field (the screenwriting guru), in one of his books, said that he tried long and hard to figure out why his young, teenage niece and friends had returned to see this film OVER and OVER again, playing their small part in helping to make it one of the top grossing films of all time (at the time).  It wasn't the epic scale or the special FX (a lot of movies have that).  It wasn't the historical accuracy (or inaccuracy).  When asking the group of teenage girls why they saw Titanic 16 times in the theater, they said it was because "Jack dies".  

Think about that.  Especially any executives reading this.  The reason they saw this over and over was because it had a relatively unhappy ending, with one of two main characters drowining and freezing to death.  Rose, in experiencing Jack's death, grows as a character.  It is cathartic for her, as well as the audience.  She finds her independance and herself through loss.

Anyway, I am rambling, but I just wanted to stick up for Titanic.  Very few films, when I remember them, give me such vivid visual memories.  I always think of the old couple on their cot, shot from overhead, as the boat is sinking, clutching eachother, with water rushing under their bed.  

Amazing.

MacGuffin

Salma Hayek in James Cameron's Diver Biopic?
Source: Univision, Latino Review

According to Univision, Salma Hayek will star in James Cameron's love story between freediver Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras and wife Audrey Mestre at 20th Century Fox for a 2005 release.

Hayek would play Mestre who, after learning the extreme sport of freediving under the tutelage of her Cuban-born husband and breaking his record, died last year as she tried to better her world mark of descending 557.7 feet while holding a single breath of air in her lungs.

Producer/director Cameron will film the upcoming October 12 attempt by Ferreras to match his wife's world record in Cabo San Lucas, the site where the Cuban diver first met the French-born aspiring marine biologist and taught her to dive.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cameron resurfaces with new sci-fi flick
Staff and agencies

Thursday January 22, 2004

James Cameron: Going digital

Seven years after the then-phenomenal box office success of Titanic, James Cameron has announced plans to return to the director's chair with a new feature.
Since the record-breaking maritime epic was released in 1997, Cameron has confined himself to factual material, directing two documentaries: Ghosts of The Abyss, his 3-D account of finding the Titanic at the bottom of the Atlantic, and the TV special Expedition: Bismarck.

Speaking at a Hollywood screening of Terminator 2 this week, Cameron said he has already started work on a new fictional project, scheduled to begun shooting later this year for 20th Century Fox.

The exact nature of the as-yet-untitled film is still vague. Cameron would only describe the project as a "big-budget science-fiction film with a pile of special effects." He did, however, reveal that in making the movie, he would be abandoning working with film - using instead state-of-the-art high definition 3-D digital video cameras.

Digital video divides the film community.  

It is chiefly used on indie projects to keep costs down, with one notable exception in George Lucas, who has been using the technology to shoot recent Star Wars episodes.

Whatever the technology, Cameron and Fox will be hoping the project repeats the success of its predecessor Titanic - the film that, after a famously troubled stint in production, eventually grossed over $1.8bn and won 11 Oscars
context, context, context.

modage

Title: Ghosts of the Abyss
Released: 27th April 2004
SRP: $29.99

Further Details
Disney Home Video have sent over details on a two disc release of Ghosts of the Abyss which is a film by award winning director James Cameron. The film goes back to the Titanic equipped with state of the art technology, along with a team of top underwater explorers and filmmakers. Actor Bill Paxton joins Cameron on this astonishing underwater voyage. The disc will be available to own from the 27th April this year and will include both a sixty minute theatrical version of the film as well as a ninety minute extended version. This will include lots of unseen footage made especially for the home video release. The full disc specs are attached below and we'll bring you the artwork as soon as we have it:

-1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Presentations
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (THX)
-Original Theatrical Version: (60:44 minutes)
-Extended Version with Unseen Footage (91:44 minutes)
-Reflections From The Deep Documentary
-The ROV Experience (Multi-Angle) Feature

alright, cameron, enough fucking around.  time to get to that next REAL movie!! did anyone actually see this?

Ghostboy

MacGuffin

James Cameron & Fox Erupt Ghosts of Vesuvius
Source: Variety

20th Century Fox and James Cameron's Fox-based Lightstorm Entertainment have optioned screen rights to Ghosts of Vesuvius, an upcoming HarperCollins book by Charles Pellegrino about the volcanic eruption that leveled Pompeii in 79 A.D. Cameron will produce the epic disaster film with his Lightstorm partners Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini.

Cameron will wait before deciding whether he will direct the fictional look at Pompeii and its destruction that will be culled from Pelligrino's nonfiction book. The volcano eruption that killed so many was estimated to have unleashed a lethal blast several times more powerful than the atomic bomb that devastated Hiroshima.

Variety says that the Lightstorm trio will sift through the book to create a fictionalized account, which likely will tie into the politics of Rome, an empire whose demise may have been hastened by the devastation of Vesuvius.

Cameron has long said he will make his next feature using the 3-D technology he employed in Ghosts of the Abyss, but has not yet said what the film will be. That film is expected to shoot later this year or early next year, and will be his first dramatic feature since Titanic.

Skeleton FilmWorks