Peter Bogdanovich

Started by Bud_Clay, June 19, 2003, 12:39:15 AM

tpfkabi

After seeing Harold and Maude again recently, I searched TCM to see if any other Ashby films were coming on. Unbeknownst to me, when I set my VCR to record The Landlord (Ashby's first film), I just let it go and caught 3 debut films and all were good - The Landlord, Bad Company and Targets. I actually noticed that my tape was still recording and flipped over and Targets just happened to be in the middle of the first murder scene and I wondered, "what is this" and decided to leave it running.

Targets is crazy though. There is never the slightest explanation as to what starts the guy. Somewhere in the film Karloff makes a statement saying monsters are not scary any more, it's real life, and he points to a newspaper article in which someone has killed 6 people in a supermarket. That first murder scene really punches you in the gut because it's broad daylight, unprovoked and just plain creepy. The methodical clean up reminds me of Norman Bates. It really is relevant to the times. Apparently, it was inspired by the UT tower shootings.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Peter Bogdanovich boards 'Century' film
Set to co-write, direct adaptation of Kurt Andersen novel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Peter Bogdanovich will write and direct an adaptation of Kurt Andersen's 1999 novel "Turn of the Century" for Das Films. Bogdanovich's writing partner Parish Rahbar will co-write the screenplay.

The novel, which opens in early new-millennium 2000, follows the MacTiers, a Manhattan power couple with three kids who are managing their troubled marriage in a world where BarbieWorld has opened in Vegas and Charles Manson's parole hearing is live on TV.

Das Films' Sriram Das will produce along with Melanie Shanley. Filming is scheduled for next spring in New York.

"Peter is one of the great minds of cinema," Das said. "His vision for this film and passion for the novel will bring an incredibly funny and powerful story to audiences around the world."

Repped by Media Talent Group, Bogdanovich most recently directed the concert film "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream." He also directed "Mask," "The Last Picture Show" and "Paper Moon."

Founded in 2007, Das Films is working from a development slate comprised of 19 projects based on best-sellers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 08, 2010, 08:17:34 PM
Das Films' Sriram Das will produce

"Peter is one of the great minds of cinema," Das said.

that's true, in that he likes to talk and think a lot about films. but other than a few times in the 60s/70s, bogdanovich hasn't really put his mind to very good use at all. obviously it was all the coke and sex with a young cybil shepard.. but Das Films needs to read past those chapters in Easy Riders Raging Bulls and catch up with the rest of his filmography, quicksmart.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

http://blogs.indiewire.com/peterbogdanovich/

Has anyone followed his blog?

I was unaware of it until today. Scrolling through past entries I'm looking forward to see what he wrote about Alphaville.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

blogdanovich!

hahaha, of course.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Owen Wilson, Olivia Wilde & Brie Larson To Star In Peter Bogdanovich's 'Squirrel To The Nuts' Produced By Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach
Source: Playlist

Nothing ever truly dies in Hollywood, and even though intel about "Squirrel To The Nuts" dropped way back in the fall of 2010 without much heard of it since, it seems lots has been happening behind the scenes, with the pic now making some giant strides, with three of our favorite filmmakers helping it happen.

Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach are teaming to produce Peter Bogdanovich's first feature film in over a decade, "Squirrel To The Nuts." A pretty solid cast has been rounded up thus far with Owen Wilson, Olivia Wilde and Brie Larson set to star, and Jason Schwartzman circling, the Bogdanovich-penned tale is about a Broadway director (Wilson), who falls for a hooker-turned-actress (Larson) and uses her services despite being married to the star of the production. He later gives the hooker some money to pursue her dream of an acting career. As for Wilde, she'll play a therapist (presumably to Wilson's character), whose mother is being treated for alcoholism.

It sounds right in Bogdanovich's screwball wheelhouse—with a bit of Woody Allen's "Mighty Aphrodite" and "Bullets Over Broadway" thrown in—and given the talent in front and behind the camera, it seems to fit everyone's sensibilities perfectly. But it's not a done deal just yet. The picture is still seeking financing and distribution, with a fall start being eyed. We wouldn't be surprised if financing comes through with distribution to be determined once the pic is in the can, as these kinds of projects tend to go these days. But either way, we like the start of this.

Bonus round: If you're in New York, the Museum Of The Moving Image is presenting the series "Paramount In The 1970s" from June 2nd to July 1st, and among the many great titles will be Bogdanovich's oustanding "Paper Moon" which you should drop everything and see on the big screen. Seriously. [Variety]
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Peter Bogdanovich Teams With Tom Sizemore For Sex Addiction Drama 'John Ledger'
Source: Playlist

With Wes Anderson and Noam Baumbach producing, and a top drawer cast coming together including names like Owen Wilson, Olivia Wilde, Brie Larson and Jason Schwartzmann, Peter Bogdanovich is set for a nice comeback with the upcoming screwball comedy "Squirrel To The Nuts." While that's cooking, though, the writer-director evidently has another project in the works that's a little more serious and will reunite him with a former collaborator.

Bogdanovich's absence from the silver screen since 2001's "The Cat's Meow" saw him tackle a few projects on television which included the Pete Rose telepic "Hustle" starring Tom Sizemore and, despite critical indifference to that feature, the actor evidently impressed Bogdanovich enough to earn a re-teaming on upcoming addiction drama, "John Ledger." 

Even with "Squirrel To The Nuts" front and center, this latest project sounds a little way off as the "Paper Moon" and "The Last Picture Show" writer-director is currently working on the script with Joey Camen. The story, however, will follow a car salesman from Southern California who battles his sex addiction while trying to maintain a normal life with his wife and teenage son. So "Shame" except an protagonist twenty years older, minus the gloriously troubled sister and add a wife and son as well? We'll see.

Financing still needs to come together on the  project which is being produced by Polimedia Films folks Charles Lago, Gabrielle Lui and Chris Johnson alongside scribe Camen. But it could mark an interesting avenue for Bogdanovich, and we'll be interested to see how this develops. Variety]

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Peter Bogdanovich and Cohen Media Group Team Up
via blu-ray.com

Oscar nominated director Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, At Long Last Love) has agreed to direct a TV miniseries adaptation of Edward Ball's 2013 book The Inventor and the Tycoon: A Gilded Age Murder and the Birth of Moving Pictures. Bogdanovich will develop the project with Cohen Media Group.

Bogdanovich, CMG president Daniel Battsek, and Oscar winning producer Fred Roos (The Godfather Part II) will executive produce the miniseries.

Bogdanovich described the project as "a fascinating story about the origins of cinema/beginning of movies and the amazing series of coincidences that led to that creation."

Following the official announcement Charles S Cohen, chairman and CEO of Cohen Media Group, said: "We are thrilled that Peter Bogdanovich will direct this exciting project. He is truly one of the major figures of modern American cinema, and this exceptional story is tailor-made for him."

wilder

Cannes: Peter Bogdanovich to Direct Buster Keaton Documentary
via The Hollywood Reporter

Peter Bogdanovich is set to direct a documentary about silent-screen legend Buster Keaton.

Charles S. Cohen, chairman and CEO of Cohen Media Group, announced the news from Cannes. Cohen will produce.

Buster Keaton's career is legendary — from his start as a knockabout child performer in vaudeville, to his groundbreaking silent shorts and feature films, through his later work and personal struggles, and finally his critical elevation as one of cinema's towering artists. Bogdanovich will explore Keaton's life and work in the film, which will feature interviews with generations of high-profile actors, filmmakers and historians inspired by Keaton.

"While his own life was marked by pain and struggle, Buster Keaton left the world an amazing and cherished gift of comedy, and I'm excited to be able to pay tribute to him," said Bogdanovich.

Added Cohen: "We're happy to have a cinema lover like Peter turn his expertise to Buster Keaton. Longtime Buster fans and newcomers alike will be thrilled."

Cohen owns rights to all but two of Buster Keaton's films, which will allow Bogdanovich unprecedented access to the actor-director's body of work. Scenes from The General, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Paleface, Our Hospitality and other masterpieces will be intercut with Bogdanovich's interviews with contemporary stars, directors and others about Keaton's influence on comedy and all of cinema.

The film will also highlight his rarely seen work in talkies and even his TV commercials.