Worst Scorsese Film?

Started by modage, May 18, 2003, 12:17:04 AM

modage

i know this may be blasphemy to some, but speilberg had one and scorseses been around even longer so what is his worst/your least favorite of his movies?  personally i wasnt really too impressed with anything he did between 1980 and 1990 (although i havent seen After Hours yet), but everyone who is great seems to lose their way at some point.  why is that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

My personal least favorite: Bringing out the Dead. And even that I don't think is terrible. It's just noticeably below par, IMO.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

Boxcar Bertha, sooo boring

Holden Pike

Not counting Corman quickie Boxcar Bertha, for me the least of Marty's movies is The Color of Money. But even the least of his work I find to be better than most filmmaker's best, so it's all about perspective. I still don't think Scorsese has made a "bad" movie yet. And even Color of Money, it has some really fine stylistic touches, it's nicely understated, and the performances are all terrific. It just doesn't belong anywhere near the pantheon of his very best work.

And you've GOT to see After Hours ASAP. It's one of Scorsese's very best, and easily his most enjoyable flick (if you enjoy really dark comedies, that is).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

godardian

Quote from: Holden PikeBut even the least of his work I find to be better than most filmmaker's best, so it's all about perspective. And you've GOT to see After Hours ASAP. It's one of Scorsese's very best, and easily his most enjoyable flick (if you enjoy really dark comedies, that is).

I agree with both statements.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Cecil

gangs, but i havent seen boxcar or colour.

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. dementedgangs, but i havent seen boxcar or colour.

I've seen neither of those, nor New York, New York. Nor Kundun, for that matter.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

SoNowThen

Hmmm, I love all the ones you guys mentioned, except I haven't seen Boxcar, and never will. But even though this man is -- in my opinion -- the greatest director ever, I will say there is one movie I wish he never made:

CAPE FEAR

Fucking Spielberg produced it, and it made the most money of all Marty's movies (which is just plain wrong). And there's no reason for the man to do a remake. Fuck. But aside from this (and I've seen them all now), I don't think St Martin has ever made anything less than brilliant.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenHmmm, I love all the ones you guys mentioned, except I haven't seen Boxcar, and never will. But even though this man is -- in my opinion -- the greatest director ever, I will say there is one movie I wish he never made:

CAPE FEAR

Fucking Spielberg produced it, and it made the most money of all Marty's movies (which is just plain wrong). And there's no reason for the man to do a remake. Fuck. But aside from this (and I've seen them all now), I don't think St Martin has ever made anything less than brilliant.

I dunno... I like his Cape Fear. I find myself constantly defending it, though; seems most people don't care for it, really. I think of it this way: Yes, it wasn't a necessary film to make. But there's enough creativity and personality in it that I'm very drawn in and I find it a really enjoyable experience. It bears much more of the director's style and personality than Psycho or Solaris did, so... even though it probably is a superflous film, I enjoy watching it. Scorsese brought something to it nobody else would have. He makes it his movie.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenHmmm, I love all the ones you guys mentioned, except I haven't seen Boxcar, and never will. But even though this man is -- in my opinion -- the greatest director ever, I will say there is one movie I wish he never made:

CAPE FEAR

huh ?? that is one of the few movies that scared me .

i was never scared of what most people call scarey movies , all though " scarey movie 2" scared me

" ohh my god david cross is in this movie NOOOOOO Why do people cast this guy"

but i digress, cape fear was spooky because of how real it was . deniro  played the stalker pretty fucking scarey.

and i loved the fact that he had him have a chip on his shoulder about his white trash roots , made him all the more scarey

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

new york, new york and his segment of new york stories was pretty fucking bad

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardhis segment of new york stories was pretty fucking bad

You must be confused. He directed "Life Lessons," not "Life With Zoe."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Keener

Life Lessons was quite enjoyable. Very pleasant.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama