Author Topic: Nocturnal Animals  (Read 834 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1474
Nocturnal Animals
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »

A successful Los Angeles art-gallery owner's idyllic life is marred by the constant traveling of her handsome second husband. While he is away, she is shaken by the arrival of a manuscript written by her first husband, who she has not seen in years. The manuscript tells the story of a teacher who finds a trip with his family turning into a nightmare. As Susan reads the book, it forces her to examine her past and confront some dark truths.

Written and Directed by Tom Ford
Starring Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Isla Fisher, and Ellie Bamber
Release Date - November 4th/23rd, 2016

wilder

• Respect: +1474
Re: Nocturnal Animals
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »
+1
This thing has style to burn but unfortunately doesn't stick its landing. I wanted to like it more than I did - there's a good movie in here thwarted by an underdeveloped script and and a wrongheadedly hammy performance by Aaron Taylor-Johnson playing an evil hick cliche. The story inside the story could have used more labyrinthian plot progression...it's operating as metaphor but as a standalone narrative just isn't that great, suffering from 'The Martian syndrome': "I have a problem...oh the solution's right here.") Aside from that, the film contains some great menacing images (not the least of which: a life-size bull suspended vertically in glass on Amy Adams' museum floor, body dissected by arrows) but doesn't quite accomplish the Vertigo-style hypnotism it aspires to. I'm happy to see a movie with ambition to tell a story off the beaten path though, successful or not. No regrets.

On the positive side, it contains what is absolutely the most memorable opening credits sequence of the year, and a beautiful score reminiscent of Bernard Hermann's work with Alfred Hitchcock (no accident):

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +31
Re: Nocturnal Animals
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
What an unbelievably bad movie, I was stunned...by how pretentious it was. How could anybody give a lick about the story within the story? I couldn't care less, which in turn made me care less about the backstory and the present day BS. I laughed many a times at the absurdity of what was unfolding on the big screen, especially the end. The flick is indeed all style. Style is all it has. Well, some good performances too, but mainly style. What a disappointment.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy