Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 5596 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1174
Re: Westworld
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
And then everyone rewatched the entire season.

For sure. That episode was dizzying in such a wonderful way.

This is what fascinates me most right now. Given Ford's apparent omnipotence, he must be aware of what Maeve is doing, right? Is she perhaps even the centerpiece of his "new narrative"? And is that narrative more meta than we realized? Also, I would bet he's built some kind of backdoor in Maeve, as with Clementine.

I think Westworld is still a little rough around the edges, but I honestly don't care. I don't demand perfection from everything; ambition is more important. We can't take shows like this for granted.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1174
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 02:12:56 AM »
+2
Yes, yes, yes. This is exactly the kind of finale I wanted. Audacity above all else. That's the show's strength; good that they're sticking with it.

(SPOILS)

A hat brim wipe is always good, but the MIB reveal seemed both overdue and really dumbed down. In GoT, all they had to do was cut from baby Jon's face to adult Jon's face. But this reveal was the equivalent of having Lyanna be like "and you must name him Jon!"

I guess the episode really won me over once I heard that beautiful arrangement of "Exit Music." Everything that followed felt so wonderfully apocalyptic. The last show that accomplished that feeling for me was The Leftovers. It's actually a rare skill that needs to be appreciated. Pulling that off at the end of your first season, no less... not bad.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1669
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 03:35:20 AM »
+1
ALSO SPOILERS

I'm really impressed by the way that even though basically every fan theory ended up proving true, it never felt like a letdown when you had that moment of confirmation. Everything was so elegantly laid out, so earned, that even though you knew what the puzzle was going to look like, it still felt satisfying every time a piece clicked into place.

They had one great misdirection up their sleeve, though, and they pulled it out just at the right time. The realization that Maeve's awakening was a red herring all along, that every moment of supposed free will she thought she was experiencing was just a programming trick, that she was never more than a pawn in someone else's endgame. Heartbreaking. And it calls into question every future instance of apparent independent consciousness. The show is taking great pains to make the point that everyone, not just the hosts, is merely playing their part in a story much greater than themselves. I think, moving forward, the core question of the series becomes less "can a robot exhibit free will?" and more "is there such thing as free will?" And then the issue shifts from whether or not a robot can become like a person to whether or not there's a fundamental difference between the two in the first place.

And yeah, the piano/violin version of "Exit Music" was absolute perfection.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

jonas

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:05 AM »
SPOILERS

Not much to add on what's above, thought the finale was really well done. The last 3 episodes really brought the first season home for me.

Wyatt = Dolores was a nice surprise, but the big one for me was Samurai World!! (or Shogun World?) There was talk when the series started if they would have any other parks and they never really hinted at that until now.

Will have to wait until 2018 for S2 though  :yabbse-sad:
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy