Purity

Started by wilder, February 13, 2016, 08:50:44 PM

wilder

'Purity' Drama Starring Daniel Craig From Scott Rudin Eyes Series Order
via Deadline

James Bond star Daniel Craig is headlining Purity, a hot drama series package that hit the cable and digital marketplace earlier this week. The project, produced by Scott Rudin and written by Todd Field, is based on the book of the same name by The Corrections author Jonathan Franzen, published last September.

I hear the package, which had been seeking a series order in the neighborhood of 20 episodes, was taken out to cable networks, including Showtime and FX, and streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. (I hear HBO was not among the networks pitched. The network and Rudin had an exclusive deal, which ended abruptly in 2012.) I hear Showtime has made an offer in line with what the producers had been looking for and is looking good, though not all bids are in and no decision has been made where the project will end up. Showtime previously aggressively pursued another big package with an A-list feature actor attached, limited series True Detective starring Matthew McConaughey, offering a straight-to-series order, but was ultimately outbid by HBO.

I hear Purity could be a limited series, ending at 20 episodes, but it could also go beyond that.

Written by Field, I hear Purity ,was originally envisioned as a feature. The project, first reported by Variety, is descried as a dark comedy. It centers on Pip, a young American woman who does not know who she is, and Andreas, a charismatic German provocateur, the role Craig is expected to play. He heads a South America-based organization that traffics in all the secrets of the world where Pip gets an internship in search of her identity.

The collaboration between Craig and Rudin stems from their previous work together on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Mike Nichols' Broadway production of Betrayal. Rudin previously worked with Field on a script that was set up at HBO under the producer's deal there.

Rudin now has a first-look deal with Fox Network Group. Under that pact, Scott Rudin Prods. has been ramping up its TV efforts, overseen by Garrett Basch, setting up a number of projects across several Fox networks. Purity falls outside of the that deal.

Craig recently reprised his role as 007 in the latest James Bond film Spectre. He is yet to commit to anther Bond movie.

The project is repped by WME.

polkablues

They had me at Todd Field and lost me at Jonathan Franzen.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fuzzy Dunlop

I loved the book and Todd Field is amazing, but I just can't see Craig playing Andreas Wolf. Daniel Bruhl or GTFO.

I'm really curious to see how they are going to pull this off structurally. Is each episode going to take place in a different time period, hopping between characters like the book, or are they going to go chronological, or cross-cut between storylines throughout? It would be amazing to stick to the structure of the book, with really long sections tracking one or two characters before jumping 20 years back or forward to track someone else.

Who the hell is gonna play Anabel?

Quote from: wilder on February 13, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
I hear Purity could be a limited series, ending at 20 episodes, but it could also go beyond that.

This is what really worries me. Fuck Showtime and their compulsion to run good shows into the ground.