Horace and Pete

Started by Drenk, January 30, 2016, 10:38:40 AM

Drenk

Louis C.K released a new show. The first episode is one hour long. I'm downloading.

https://louisck.net/show/horace-and-pete
Ascension.

wilder

If cinema is a church, this is like a sermon that restores your faith.

Amazing that this happened/is happening the way it's happening.

Drenk

After having trouble downloading the episode I can say that...

Yes, wow, it really is incredible. All the things you can do with words, actors and just one place...It gives me hope.
Ascension.

cronopio2

fucking Louis CK is the new Eugene O'Neill. whowouldvethought

ep 2 up

edit: i have never wept more openly at a shows beauty than these two episodes. i found myself tearing up attempting to explain to someone the old man and his wife scene from episode one.

matt35mm

Episode 3 is up and is tremendous.

Drenk

Quote from: matt35mm on February 13, 2016, 03:20:00 PM
Episode 3 is up and is tremendous.

Yes. Absolutely mesmerizing. And terribly moving...
Ascension.

wilder

Holy shit. I'm trying my hardest not to be histrionic...this is starting to bring to mind the stuff Bergman and Fassbinder made for television. Laurie Metcalf gives one of the greatest monologue deliveries I've ever seen in episode 3. You could switch her out for Liv Ullman and it couldn't be better. I feel like I've said that a couple times in the past year (Nina Hoss? Evelyne Brochu?) but man there's a lot of good stuff happening right now. I can't get over this episode. I want to say it again: Holy shit.

JG

I tuned out of Louie a couple of years ago, but I love this show. Its my favorite thing I've seen Louis CK do! Wanna know more about Annie Baker's involvement...

matt35mm

Quote from: wilder on February 13, 2016, 09:22:38 PM
Holy shit. I'm trying my hardest not to be histrionic...this is starting to bring to mind the stuff Bergman and Fassbinder made for television. Laurie Metcalf gives one of the greatest monologue deliveries I've ever seen in episode 3. You could switch her out for Liv Ullman and it couldn't be better. I feel like I've said that a couple times in the past year (Nina Hoss? Evelyne Brochu?) but man there's a lot of good stuff happening right now. I can't get over this episode. I want to say it again: Holy shit.

You said it perfectly! I was thinking Bergman, too (how can you not when you see a 9-minute monologue about a strange erotic experience delivered in an uninterrupted close up?).

The fact that Louis C.K. can pull off writing and directing a monologue (and whole episode) that can be as dark, existential, strange and erotic as Bergman while ultimately having a deeply humanist and empathetic view of the situation... is a marvel. How can you get more simultaneously bleak and comforting than the idea that you belong to such a great number of dishonest people that if you had an army of the dishonest wage war on the honest, the dishonest would handily outnumber and defeat the honest?

And, of course, bravo Laurie Metcalf! As capable and captivating as any of Bergman's actresses, but in a more naturalistic key. Masterful!

diggler

That was a pretty incredible monologue, I wonder how many times she did that.

This show is like comfort food. It's so deceptively simple and yet so much thought has gone into it. Seeing modern situations like the Tinder date in episode 2 play out in this dated presentation gives it way more poignancy. Everything about the show smells of disdain for the modern world right down to the cameras, yet it's so incredibly thoughtful about it. Alan Alda looks like he's having a blast.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Reel

More like "Bore Us To Sleep"!!

Right, gang?

Just felt like saying something absolutely no one agrees with.

Reel

I'm finally caught up! I didn't expect everything to be so staged, gives it a feeling of authenticity. When I first heard about the show, I imagined him trying to do some One camera, cinematic type of thing. It really is a treat to be exposed to such a current atmosphere in this theater setting. It's a show that needs to be dissected before you form any final opinion on it. Like, Alan Alda is a hateable old grunt of a character, but we still want to get a further grasp on where he's coming from. It'll be interesting when Louie goes into his backstory later on. Steve Buscemi is obviously the most likable person there, somehow managing to play a more pathetic character than Seymour from 'Ghost World'. And being such a podcast fan, I love his inclusion of lesser known New York comics like Kurt Metzger, Nick Dipaolo, and Mark Normand!! You guys might not know, but they're responsible for some of the most 'edgy' racial comedy out there right now. As digger said, the tone of the show is like a warm blanket. I just want to live in it! I wish I'd never heard about it until the first season was over so I could just watch them all at once!

END OF ACT 1
AAAAAIIIUUUUUGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

wilder

I never want this show to end.