Green Room

Started by wilder, January 14, 2016, 08:17:01 AM

wilder

A gory riff on the "Assault On Precinct 13"-style siege thriller, it sees a touring punk band, 'The Ain't Rights', stopping for a gig at a remote Oregon venue that turns out to be a haven of racist skinheads, and witness a murder that sees them locked in their dressing room while the hordes outside try to break back in to cover up their crimes.

Written and Directed by Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin)
Starring Imogen Poots, Mark Webber, Macon Blair, Anton Yelchin, Alia Shawkat, Joe Cole, Callum Turner, and Patrick Stewart
Release Date - April 1, 2016

polkablues

I just saw Blue Ruin, finally, so I'm officially excited for this. I'm loving Jeremy Saulnier's penchant for wringing maximum impact out of the simplest setups.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

I also loved Blue Ruin and can't wait for this and his follow up Red Rubin

polkablues

Or his remake of the Prince classic, Purple Rune.

polkablues

Looks intense and great. A perfect continuation and escalation from Blue Ruin.

Side note, I watched Saulnier's first feature, Murder Party, the other day. It's pretty much a full-on comedy, which caught me by surprise, but there are a lot of hints of the filmmaker he's developed into. It's also one of the most biting satires of the urban art scene you'll ever see. 

Jeremy Blackman

I know they never took the prime directive seriously, but this is getting absurd.

Tictacbk

Anyone else see this yet? It's great. Sharp, surprising, terrifying all wrapped up into one. Also quite violent. And Patrick Stewart is real good as an understated evil backwoods nazi leader.

RegularKarate

Yup! I loved it. Very tense the entire run. I'm looking forward to whatever Saulnier does next.
Only complaint is that Stewart is too fancy to fake an American accent. It just doesn't play.

modage

This is my second favorite film this year (after Everybody Wants Some!). SO intense I was literally biting my knuckles and laughing/crying at the same time. It never goes the way you expect it to and you wish more indie genre films could be this great. I was kinda whatever on Blue Ruin but this dude is the real deal.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

What Saulnier does so well, that almost feels revolutionary in the post-Matrix, John Wickish world we live in, is make violence feel real by making it awkward. It's not just the realism of the gore, or the brutality of the acts, it's that things never go according to plan, guns rarely hit right where you're trying to aim them, injuries actually affect a person's ability to keep doing what they're doing. There's no poetry to violence in Saulnier's world; his violence is the equivalent of a dirty joke scratched into the wall of a rest stop toilet.

Also, I love stories that are about a single mistake that compounds out of control. Where chaos is like a cancer metastasizing all over the characters' plans, and everything they do to try and cut it out just creates a fresh gaping wound. There's nothing more compelling, narratively, than an impossible situation.

wilder

Quote from: polkablues on May 10, 2016, 06:07:45 PM
Also, I love stories that are about a single mistake that compounds out of control. Where chaos is like a cancer metastasizing all over the characters' plans, and everything they do to try and cut it out just creates a fresh gaping wound. There's nothing more compelling, narratively, than an impossible situation.

I love that, too. Pusher, Straight Time, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Haven't seen Green Room yet but it sounds pretty great.

i just finished my second viewing of this film.
definitely the best slash my favorite film of this year.

Just Withnail

Oh God, I just finished this and now I need to go for a run or have a serious cold shower. I'm tense as fuck.

things never go according to plan, guns rarely hit right where you're trying to aim them, injuries actually affect a person's ability to keep doing what they're doing. There's no poetry to violence in Saulnier's world; his violence is the equivalent of a dirty joke scratched into the wall of a rest stop toilet.

Where chaos is like a cancer metastasizing all over the characters' plans, and everything they do to try and cut it out just creates a fresh gaping wound.

I feel these two quotes are spot on, polka. The violence is unromantic and horrifying, so we know what the stakes are, and the constant chaos makes it feel like it really could happen at any time. It makes it known early on that anyone can get hurt in serious ways.

The film expertly shows chaos arising from so many movable, unpredictable parts, but there's also an immense, balletic joy coming from the very precise arrangement of the parts. The chaos here in many ways doesn't feel chaotic. Visually, it's extremely clear, with precise cinematic layouts and uses of space. We know where everything is at all times. It's rare that we don't know where characters and objects are, and that the chaos arises from that, but more that we see everything clearly laid out, know what the stakes are (it gun is reached, flesh will blow), and then a whole new, equally clear situation arises just as we thought we had a grasp on the preceding one. This happens at a furious pace and the result seems like chaos, becomes a clear cinematic impression of chaos.

I haven't been this tense watching a film in a long time, but the tension is ultimately all mechanics, all roller-coaster and little heart, as the lack of real emotion about having all your friends die around you, and the ending joke, makes pretty clear.