High Rise

Started by wilder, December 14, 2015, 03:17:21 PM

wilder

Directed by Ben Wheatley
Written by Amy Jump, based on the novel by J.G. Ballard
Starring Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Luke Evans, Elizabeth Moss, and Sienna Miller
Release Date - In theaters May 13, 2016. VOD on April 28, 2016

diggler

Great trailer, really looking forward to this.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

cronopio2

this is right up my alley.

wilder

wilder

wilder

wilder

In theaters on May 13, 2016. VOD on April 28, 2016

jenkins

PORTISHEAD – SOS (ABBA COVER)

‏@IndieFocus
Put to devastating use in Ben Wheatley's HIGH-RISE. (One of the year's essential & must-see movies.)

also, some Tangerine Dream:

Garam

Oh yeah, i saw this about a month ago. His Their most abstract and trippy film, even more so than A Field in England. Heavy influence from middle period Lindsay Anderson and Nicolas Roeg. Weird editing and structure, doesn't really adhere to acts, or anything like that. All the plot advances between the cuts, so the audience feel they've gotten as decadently blackout drunk as the characters. Most likely going to bomb cause of its incomprehensibility and then rise in estimation whenever Wheatley fully crosses over with something more mainstream. Kind of a UK twin to Inherent Vice in its throwback obtuseness. Great use of classic era Fall during the final credits. Great use of music in general. The whole film looks gorgeous and captures the beige nicotine stained brutalist drabness of 70s Britain perfectly.

I'm not a big fan of J G Ballard but I thought this a much better adaptation of his work than Crash. Mostly cause it's actually set in England.

diggler

Quote from: Garam on April 25, 2016, 02:30:33 PM
All the plot advances between the cuts, so the audience feel they've gotten as decadently blackout drunk as the characters.

That's an interesting take on it which makes me like it more. When I watched the film it felt like there were scenes missing, like things didn't escalate in a believable manner. Now that I've thought about it more it works quite well.

Loved the music in this, it really suits the nihilistic humor of it all. It's also gorgeous to look at. The frequent cuts to the outside of the high rise come to mind, very imposing in a beautifully stark way.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty